General General forums for the GTR community.

New Official Nissan Preview (Tokyo Motorshow Preview)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 01:08 AM
GTR Senior Member

VQ or VK in GTR?

agreed, lightwizard. epacy was kidding anyway. but good points all around.

i can't wait to see what the powertrain setup on the GTR is going to be. if it is really tuned by Cosworth it will be sick. it will be sick anyway regardless of that. but it will be a dead-giveaway that they're pursuing racing seriously again. it may be like Group A deja vu.

for the past 2 or 3 years in JGTC, they've been running the VQ30 in their R34 GTRs. the big question is now will they run that, or a version of the VQ35? this is the area where i lack a total educated guess. i can nearly guarantee it will be twin turbo in classic GTR style. whatever it is.

and i have an inkling to predict that it will be the VQ35DETT. and not the VQ30 (or a variation of the VQ35). i think this because the GTR was running the RB26DETT --it did not run the RB20DET. at this point, to drop anything LESS THAN a 3.5L engine into the GTR, after Nissan has introduced the VQ35 into the Zcar and G35c, even if it made tons of power, would be an act of emasculation. it would just ring badly. and it would look anemic in print and in car culture peer circles.

granted, more R&D with real tracktime has been logged with the VQ30. and it can be argued that a 3.0L will be, should be, carried over the the consumer market 2007 GTR. but i have my doubts they will actually do that. granted, they may still run the VQ30DETT in the JGTC cars. but since they will be running the new GTRs in JGTC, probably gradually dropping the R34s in favor of the new GTRs, they will as well carry the larger engine. i see this from a masculinity standpoint (testosterone-driven reasons), and as a sensical step forward. they may even fulfill the rumor of a V8 (VK), the one used in the Infinity Pro series races, modified DOWN to 3.5L from the VK56DE.

as well, will the gearbox be 7speed stick, or paddle shift? how radical are they going to get with the tranny. i have really no idea. will they have a version of a "tiptronic" gearbox, with a clutchless manual shift "mode?" or will it be traditional style? will more automatics be made? even porsche offers automatics. i'd never want one, but many people prefer automatic. especially the dentists and lawyers who will buy a lot of these cars.

Last edited by bonzelite; 10-23-2005 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by bonzelite
cattman headers? i have those on my VG. i lost a little bottom end, but not much. the gains offset the losses.

my name is the same on the org. i hang with the 3rd gen people mostly. but i don't go on there as much as i used to. i forgot when i started there. i think about 3 years ago now.

13s would be impressive for non-turbo. you going to supercharge it?
Yeah, new generation of Cattman headers. Dynoed to provide around 25-30 HP on VQ35. Other auto VQ35's have dropped about 1 sec off the 1/4 and gained about 10 mph from the headers. Main reason is it eliminates the precats in the manifolds. Stock it is just so stopped up.

Probably just going to go N/A. They don't make a real TC or SC for the VQ35 for the Maxima yet. Kinda sucks.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:55 PM

The video and interview sections at www.gtrproto.com are now active.

Last edited by dragon; 10-25-2005 at 04:55 PM.