General General forums for the GTR community.

GTR vs ZR1 - Not What You Think

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by 200+mphdude
You know what?...many people on the forums sometimes mislead.

A VR38DETT engine weights 608lbs. A LS7(C6 Z06 engine) weights 448lbs.
You talk about eficiency, about gas, about mass..
1) Eficiency the LS7 produces 505hpand 470lbs with only 448lbs of weight while a VR38DETT makes 480hp and 430lb-tq with 608lbs.
...As per the optimistic dyno numbers that you gave us here is a video of a GTR putting down 406whp and 399lb-q.
Ok listen to yourself on this one. So you admit that the GTR is both Greatly heavier than the Z06 and FAR less powerfull (you claim it is down by 100hp, 70lbft). Yet dispite being heavier, more spacious, better appointed, and less powerfull it will either match or far outpace the z06 when both are stock, and whether its on the street, track, or strip. You know, you're right. Plus the vette looks like crap and people will 100% of the time assume you're a 45+, balding, fat, white guy with 2 daughters and ED. I think that encapulates why most people who prefer the GTR as a street car do so.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:15 PM

man your something else. You better go do some research in the vette forums. You aint going to get no 100HP just by adding cams especially in a N/A car. That is all B.S. I personally know a guy who put a supercharger on a stock vette and ran in issues because he thought thats all he needed to do to mod his car. He sold it and bought a Z01 and decided to stay away from the mod game.
and to answer your question moding a car brings a whole lot of pleasure and pride making driving more fun even if making less HP than a different type higher HP stock car. Also why buy a new car for 60,000 and make 500HP when you can just mod your car for 10,000 and make 400HP. Some people wouldn't think 40,000 for 100HP that great investment.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/

Originally Posted by ZOsixTT
Actually your wrong. The vette is very easy to mod you dont even need a FI setup. With the LS7 there are people adding just a $300 cam and gettin over 100 extra rear w hp. Parts for vettes are a fraction of the price of parts for the GTR. Most of the exhaust systems for the GTR cost upwards of $4,000. For a little more than that you can add a supercharger to a z06 and add a few hundred hp.
In comparison vette are very easy and cheap to mod compared to most cars. I neve could figure out why so many import fans will dump thousands into a honda just to make less hp than a stock vette from the early 90s.
BTW the supra was an anomoly. The motor was very over-engineered. I doubt the GTR wll have the same massive gains with modest mods. Also rememeber that none of the high hp supras were even close to street legal with emmissions etc.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:18 PM

2 guys at my work own a Z01, 1 is a late 50's early 60's old fart the other is a 300lb fat old guy. LOL I guess your assumption is right.

Originally Posted by Briik
Ok listen to yourself on this one. So you admit that the GTR is both Greatly heavier than the Z06 and FAR less powerfull (you claim it is down by 100hp, 70lbft). Yet dispite being heavier, more spacious, better appointed, and less powerfull it will either match or far outpace the z06 when both are stock, and whether its on the street, track, or strip. You know, you're right. Plus the vette looks like crap and people will 100% of the time assume you're a 45+, balding, fat, white guy with 2 daughters and ED. I think that encapulates why most people who prefer the GTR as a street car do so.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:11 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdLHYo5tYTQ
here is a video already showing just basic bolt on pipes and a tune showing massive power. 760ft*lbs of torque.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:49 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by ZOsixTT
Actually your wrong. The vette is very easy to mod you dont even need a FI setup. With the LS7 there are people adding just a $300 cam and gettin over 100 extra rear w hp. Parts for vettes are a fraction of the price of parts for the GTR. Most of the exhaust systems for the GTR cost upwards of $4,000. For a little more than that you can add a supercharger to a z06 and add a few hundred hp.
In comparison vette are very easy and cheap to mod compared to most cars. I neve could figure out why so many import fans will dump thousands into a honda just to make less hp than a stock vette from the early 90s.
BTW the supra was an anomoly. The motor was very over-engineered. I doubt the GTR wll have the same massive gains with modest mods. Also rememeber that none of the high hp supras were even close to street legal with emmissions etc.

Maybe high lifting cams and a compression increase will give you 100hp which includes ecu tuning but not with just cams. I would have believed you if you would have said 30-45hp.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:17 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by NissanR35
Maybe high lifting cams and a compression increase will give you 100hp which includes ecu tuning but not with just cams. I would have believed you if you would have said 30-45hp.
Not its really a lot more simple than you think. The high lift cams cars with some head work, headers and a few other items typically have high 600 to low 700 hp with the LS7 motor. I dont believe ive seen anyone rasie the compression yet, i dont think they really need to.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:27 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by evo9speeddemon
man your something else. You better go do some research in the vette forums. You aint going to get no 100HP just by adding cams especially in a N/A car. That is all B.S. I personally know a guy who put a supercharger on a stock vette and ran in issues because he thought thats all he needed to do to mod his car. He sold it and bought a Z01 and decided to stay away from the mod game.
and to answer your question moding a car brings a whole lot of pleasure and pride making driving more fun even if making less HP than a different type higher HP stock car. Also why buy a new car for 60,000 and make 500HP when you can just mod your car for 10,000 and make 400HP. Some people wouldn't think 40,000 for 100HP that great investment.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/
Adding a different cam to a NA car is not the same as adding a supercharger to a NA car. If you want to add a blower, typically you wil have to at least added larger injectors and maybe a larger fuel pump. But there are many companies that have complete bolt on kits. they are pretty inexpensive, ~$5,000. you can run more boost on non z06 cars b/c of the lower compression. But i have been running 7lbs through my Z06 for years without any problems.

So your buddy bought a Z06 and put a supercharger on it himself im guessing? But he could afford a ZR1, and chose not to let a profession tuner install a proven package on the car? that makes sence. When you get your gtr you should bring it over to my place, ill hook my computer up to it and see if I can tune it for ya?

Well one would have a warranty and was actually desinged to be driven at high speeds safely. Unlike the $10,000 car with countless dollars put into it to make a unrealiable, unsafe, not legal, and still not very fast 400hp car.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:54 AM

I own them all

OK - I have not read the entire post - just the first page and a few posts in between. Here is my 2 cents worth. I own a 2009 GTR, 04 Z06 with TT kit http://www.gmsvideos.com/video/6197 , 2007 Z06 http://www.gmsvideos.com/video/1345 , and I just finally got my ZR1. In order to really tell the difference and appreciate any of these cars you need to drive them for a day - since I have here is my direct comparison

I is hard to beat a GT-R for all around comfort, speed and handling - period

I am in love with the way all the V8's cars sound - out of the box the GT-R sounds wimpy - installing a $3000 muffler from HKS or the likes makes perhaps 5hp and then the car sounds like every 16 year old in a Honda "Look at me" Look at me" So I give the Vette(s) the best marks for macho ness. Once in the car they all pretty much feel the same. Drive them all for a few hours and the GT-R is a slight bit better on the body - so the GT-R is winner for that one

Plasticy interior - they all suck - ALL OF THEM. Neither the Vettes nor the GT-R has a dash worth writing home about. I like the way I can change gauges and set ups on the GT-R and likewise I think the Vette has an OK layout – I seems like a tie to me - I like the shift light in the GT-R but I like the layout of the vette more – still a tie

Looks – The ZR-1 is better looking for the most part – but take off the ZR1 badge and it is hard to tell it from a $19,000 used 05/06 car. Yes I know they look different side by side but going down the road – Not so much. GT-R looks only like a GT-R – Far less of them and they do appear to be more Exclusive. However as much as I like the GT-R I think it is ugly in front for the most part – looks like a snow plow – the back of the car is pure SEXiness. – If I had to pick over the 2 cars – I would go with the Vette – even though they are a dime a dozen, they are still great looking cars.

Handling – GT-R is hands down the winner – nothing more to say. They both handle great but the GT-R is way more forgiving when the drive goofs and all wheel drive is extra insurance

If the world came to an end and I could only have one car – I guess I would have to keep the ZR1 – it is fast and when you step on it all hell breaks loose – the people that count know the ZR1 is one bad ***** and I know it too.

Since I don’t have to give up any of the cars I own I will not – I find myself driving the GT-R more often and when I am not in the GT-R I wish I was. – When I drive the ZR1 I fee like I have to go fast, it is just the right thing to do. In the GT-R if I choose to go ***** out I can but if I just want to cruise around I can do that as well

I would not turn my back on either – AND I can out drive 90% of the guys out there in either car. If money is no object and you don’t mind the effort it takes to get in and out of the car – Bite the bullet and buy a FORD GT. It is still the baddest car I own. I hate getting in and out but once in – fa-getta-bout-it
Old 05-13-2009, 01:55 PM
GTR Senior Member

^^^ well said +1
Old 05-16-2009, 01:27 PM

I dont have the stable that "Granatelli" has but I absolutelly echo his conclusion about the GTR. After owning M3's, Vipers, 996TT, 996TT EVOMS GT 700 the GTR is my favorite car. My wife could drive it to the track for me and I could humble a few people there.

Quick Reply: GTR vs ZR1 - Not What You Think