General General forums for the GTR community.

GTR vs ZR1 - Not What You Think

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 12:02 AM

Update: I have now driven both the ZR1 and GTR for many miles. I am still in love with both cars. The GTR now makes 602hp to the tires from 400 and the ZR1 went from 525 to 754. Both cars seem like 10 second rides and admittedly I have not taken either to the track. I did not do anything to the suspension on either. Both cars seem to like the extra power, meaning the chassis' have not given up.

The GTR with 600 still seems refined and plush and the ZR1 at 750 is brutal but plants the tires through the corners. The ZR1 did not stand a chance Stock vs. the GTR modified but i guess that was to be expected.

In the end here is my take - both cars rock! The Vette is a ***** out get away car and fast everywhere - it is geared to run well over 200 and will. There is a road by my house where I can get either car to 180mph (side note of all my cars only the TT Vette, Ford GT, ZR1 and GTR can get there in the distance available) The GTR runs out of gearing so it wont go 200 regardless of the length of the road. They calim they run 191 stock, i never tried but now it goes 197 and hits the rev limiter at 7k in 6th.

at 180 - Both cars feel stable but the GTR is stable as a sofa and the ZR1 feels like a vacuum is sucking it to the ground. So when you lift it seems dartier then the GTR

In conclusion, I still won't give either up but i find myself in the GTR more often. I heard another guy with a ZR1 with the same parts as mine ran 9.81 - If that is true then the ZR1 is much faster but any car then runs 10 anything on the street is *****en in my book

Here is a true barometer of what is cool and not. My son was caught joy riding the GTR (by my wife) not the Vette. The Vette gets head turners and thumbs up but the GTR draws a crowd darn near everyday. I am sure you will all agree the GTR gets major respect young adn old
Old 09-29-2009, 01:02 PM

Granatelli,

Sounds like you are ready for one of these.

Name:  P1000917.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  129.5 KB
Old 09-29-2009, 03:11 PM

Well perhaps but I like quality cars regardless of looks. I looked at 1 of these before but never pulled the trigger
Old 09-29-2009, 05:58 PM

The benefit is you can build it as you like. We just got it on the road July 4th. So far, it's a really nice combo of a great track day car, but you can still drive it to work. Ours has 667 HP at the crank and weighs 2500 pounds. There are guys building twin turbo versions with 1000 HP plus. The GTM is a little raw, but is fun to drive and draws a crowd. Teenage boys like GTR's, chicks dig the Vettes and cars like the GTM.

Did you read my thread about lasting value? What do you think the longer term value of the GTM is? Is this just another Nissan? How long do you plan on keeping yours?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:58 AM

http://www.gmsvideos.com/video_detail.php?mId=10674

Well I have never owned a car for more then 3 years. But I love the GTR. I would probably sell the Vette first but don't hold me to it
Old 09-30-2009, 07:05 PM

Checked out the link. Way cool stuff. Didn't realize (Duh) you were a builder. What's involved in your GTR mods?
Old 10-01-2009, 02:55 PM

Stock Fuel system - max'd
Stock Piping to and from turbos
Stock piping to and from intercooler to t-body
Stock BOV on stock piping
Stock Exhaust system
Cobb Tuning software
Machined out turbos with larger impellers producing 38lbs per hour
Down pipes and catless mid section - Y pipe
injector update
Large Intercoolers
Large Actuaters on turbos
External Boost controller at 18psi
Old 10-02-2009, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the info. Surprising what you get out of the motor without digging too deep. What source would you recommend for replacement rotors and pads? Was at a local track (Blackhawk Farms) today. Got rained on, but what a blast this car is to drive on a road course.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:33 AM

I am happy with the brakes as they sit. You can always go to a softer pad for more grip............and more noise too
Old 10-07-2009, 11:17 AM

a ZR1 aint gonna stomp a GTR in the rain.

sorry to interrupt the flow...

just testing my first time

Last edited by oz101; 10-07-2009 at 11:22 AM.

Quick Reply: GTR vs ZR1 - Not What You Think