GTRForums News & Rumors Check this forum for the latest news in the GTR community and rumors about existing and future Skyline GTR models.

New GTR transmission theory

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:32 AM

Well, by now I'm sure that we all know that the GT-R will have an SMG-like tranny. What I don't see is any proof that there will be a 6 speed manual. Is there any more news on the GT-R's transmission?

Personally, I would like an SMG-like transmission just because the shifts will be lightning quick and the performance must be insane. But the manual will always be more fun and I plan on modifying this car so that leaves me with manual as the only choice...unless this new Dual Clutch/Sequential tranny is tough enough to handle monster torque.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:24 PM

hmm, i read that the base model will be 6 speed and the higher trim levels will be DSG?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by 786
hmm, i read that the base model will be 6 speed and the higher trim levels will be DSG?
yup, read that as well.. 6mt for the base model.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:25 AM

F1 Style Transmission

Is the F1 style transmission going to be a true system with a clutch and hydraulic pump or will it be "tiptronic" style automatic?

If it's the F1, I highly recommend for any die-hard 6spd guys to at least give it a shot. I've always been a big 6spd guy but after driving the Cambiocorsa in my first Maserati Spyder, I followed the purchase of my F355 with F1 and if the GT-R system is a true system, I will be leaning towards it although I will be scared of potential reliability issues that may spawn with it in early cars.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:16 AM
GTR Senior Member

If a 6MT is offered, it will be an option and available on a special edition track model, something like an R-Tune or Z-Tune level R35 GT-R.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:45 PM
GTR Member

Although it's hugely personal preference, I'm excited to get the Nissan SMG. After driving the new setup on the Scuderia, I'm eager to see how they compare. Shift times are within milliseconds of one another...

Now, if I could only get a GT3 and an RS4 with a DSG!!
Old 11-30-2007, 10:22 AM
GTR Member

The Nissan GT-R uses an all-new GR6-type transmission, exclusively developed for the car. The paddle shift six-speed twin clutch gearbox is highly efficient - unlike an automatic transmission with conventional torque converter, there is minimum power loss so response and fuel economy is improved.

In M range (for manual transmission mode), the paddle shift gives exceedingly quick changes. Such quick gear changing maintains the turbo boost, so acceleration is one strong powerful seamless burst.

The twin clutches make a significant contribution to shift speed. There are separate clutches for the odd (1,3,5) and even (2,4,6) gears. When the car is running in an odd number gear, the adjacent even numbered gears are pre-selected and are ready to make the shift immediately in the sequential-shifting gearbox. When downshifting, a synchronized rev control 'blips' the throttle precisely to synchronize engine speed for extra-fast downshifts. Borg-Warner triple cone synchronizers are used.

When R range - the sportiest setting - is chosen on the set-up switch, a computerized control predicts the driver's next gear change, based on throttle opening, vehicle speed, braking and other information.
The Nissan GT-R uniquely offers exceedingly quick gear shift speeds and full automatic transmission. In A (for automatic transmission) range, the car changes gear automatically, in the most fuel efficient manner. Higher gears are used whenever possible, benefiting from the car's massive 588 Nm (60kgm) of torque, and its long and flat torque curve. The car can be driven in sixth gear for long periods at low speeds, and still offers good throttle response. Such docile behavior is at odds with most equivalently fast supercars and is one of the many unique aspects of this technology flagship.

The E-TS electronic traction control and rear final drive with limited slip differential (for better power delivery) are both integrated into the surprisingly compact and light rear transaxle. By placing the input/output shafts diagonally, the transmission is flat and the car's center of gravity can be lowered.
One highly useful and unusual feature is the Nissan GT-R's Hill Start Assist. On an uphill gradient, which the car automatically recognizes, the system maintains brake pressure for about two seconds after the release of the brake pedal, making hill starts easy.

This article came from this site: http://press.nissan-global.com/PRESS...ISH/index.html
Old 11-30-2007, 10:41 AM
GTR Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NERDJustBNME
The Nissan GT-R uses an all-new GR6-type transmission, exclusively developed for the car. The paddle shift six-speed twin clutch gearbox is highly efficient - unlike an automatic transmission with conventional torque converter, there is minimum power loss so response and fuel economy is improved.

In M range (for manual transmission mode), the paddle shift gives exceedingly quick changes. Such quick gear changing maintains the turbo boost, so acceleration is one strong powerful seamless burst.

The twin clutches make a significant contribution to shift speed. There are separate clutches for the odd (1,3,5) and even (2,4,6) gears. When the car is running in an odd number gear, the adjacent even numbered gears are pre-selected and are ready to make the shift immediately in the sequential-shifting gearbox. When downshifting, a synchronized rev control 'blips' the throttle precisely to synchronize engine speed for extra-fast downshifts. Borg-Warner triple cone synchronizers are used.

When R range - the sportiest setting - is chosen on the set-up switch, a computerized control predicts the driver's next gear change, based on throttle opening, vehicle speed, braking and other information.
The Nissan GT-R uniquely offers exceedingly quick gear shift speeds and full automatic transmission. In A (for automatic transmission) range, the car changes gear automatically, in the most fuel efficient manner. Higher gears are used whenever possible, benefiting from the car's massive 588 Nm (60kgm) of torque, and its long and flat torque curve. The car can be driven in sixth gear for long periods at low speeds, and still offers good throttle response. Such docile behavior is at odds with most equivalently fast supercars and is one of the many unique aspects of this technology flagship.

The E-TS electronic traction control and rear final drive with limited slip differential (for better power delivery) are both integrated into the surprisingly compact and light rear transaxle. By placing the input/output shafts diagonally, the transmission is flat and the car's center of gravity can be lowered.
One highly useful and unusual feature is the Nissan GT-R's Hill Start Assist. On an uphill gradient, which the car automatically recognizes, the system maintains brake pressure for about two seconds after the release of the brake pedal, making hill starts easy.

This article came from this site: http://press.nissan-global.com/PRESS...ISH/index.html
That's damn awesome.

Thank you for posting that
Old 11-30-2007, 08:04 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by bonzelite
That's damn awesome.

Thank you for posting that

No problem.....just trying to shine some light on the situation. The link is a press-release that tells "everything" about the GT-R in great detail with pictures as well.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:59 AM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by KevinatMVP
Is the F1 style transmission going to be a true system with a clutch and hydraulic pump or will it be "tiptronic" style automatic?
I'm surprised that people still ask about the tiptronic transmission on a car of this caliber...no tiptronic here, this aint no honda prelude. Sorry, my comment was not intended to offend, I'm just surprised that more people aren't aware of the SMG.