GTRForums News & Rumors Check this forum for the latest news in the GTR community and rumors about existing and future Skyline GTR models.

New GTR transmission theory

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 06:03 PM
GTRForums Staff

New GTR transmission theory

A little while ago, I heard from a reliable surce with inside knowledge that the new GTR would have some new twin clutch transmission where one clutch does the even gears and one the odd.

Today I was reading through a past issue of Mototrend I believe and I came accross a article on new DSG style transmissions where they discussed the new DCT transmissions from Getrag which use a twin clutch setup. There top line one is a 7 speed wet clutch system which holds 516 lb ft torque. Sounds like a GTR transmission to me.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:28 PM

i have heard this as well but i would be GREATLY dissappointed if this car was not offered with a traditional manual transmission...DSG is great technology for the track but nothing can compare to a 6 speed for the street IMO...now, if they offer both transmissions that would be perfect but if a manual is not offered i will not buy

also, the main problem with DSG type transmissions at this point is holding capacity and by your own admission the top of the line Getrag unit can only hold 516 lb ft...that is ridiculous considering how easily the new GT-Rs powerplant will be able to eclipse that figure with the most basic mods

i have faith that Nissan will not be so foolhardy in their choice of transmission
Old 09-18-2006, 10:09 AM
GTRForums Staff

Very true. There are very inherant downsides to this. On the otherside, I would say that I would consider this option on this specific car. I think the GT nature of this car lends itself well to this type of transmission. I am a big fan of standard shifts, but it would be something to consider

There will surely be available upgrades, however at what price? For people that are going to tune, a standard would be a better option most likely. And yes, i hope this is an option.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:08 PM

I don't know...I think it's going to have paddle shifters behind the steering wheel. Whatever the case, I hope it comes in a standard stickshift
Old 09-21-2006, 07:33 PM
GTR Senior Member

that is my largest concern, too. the tranny options. i think they will offer what Porsche offers: automatic and manual. the new G35s have paddle shifts, though. so that scares me. paddles seem gay. even though they're adapted from F1, i believe. if it's paddle, it will probably be a 7-speed sequential. but i hope it is 6spd manual.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:43 AM

Man and I thought I was the only one feeling this way about the new GTR and a manual. It just doesn't feel like a sports car to me if there is no clutch to push. I really don't care if the paddle shift is faster, I just want a manual or I will be heading for something else. So sad that manual are on the way out
Old 11-03-2006, 11:59 AM
GTR Senior Member

yep. sad but true.

i'm holding out hope they offer a 6spd manual option.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:25 AM

It's funny how we have pictures of the exterior of the GTR, but yet no pictures of the interior. This would tell us a lot on weather it is a manual or a sequential. Also, I am still hopeful that because we keep on seeing the G35 test mule maybe, just maybe, one of them has a manual while the proto has the sequential.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:15 AM

well to me jus wait will be the best
Old 11-05-2006, 11:11 AM

It would be nice if they could combine sequential with the manual. Let say if you are in Neutral you could use the paddles, otherwise it would be manual. Just a tought hhehhhee.

I have another question, what is a liquid clutch??? I have never heard about it before.

Quick Reply: New GTR transmission theory