GTRForums News & Rumors Check this forum for the latest news in the GTR community and rumors about existing and future Skyline GTR models.

New GTR transmission theory

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 09:40 PM
GTR Senior Member

the GTR will not have a sequential, then. forget that idea. it's probably having the paddles.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:22 AM

it's been awhile but I don't think the new gtr will have the getrag. If I can recall correctly, getrag doesn't have independent torque distribution. It's only to the front and back.. at least for the older gtr's, anyways. I've heard many rumors about a 7speed sequential tranny. My hopeful guess it that it will have a 6-speed manual, but will be slightly slower than the 7 speed counterpart.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:03 AM
GTR Senior Member

well, like was explained by another in the thread, the sequential shifting is for racing applications. i doubt that will appear in any form in a factory car.

i think it will be 7 speed paddle shift as standard. anything else that appears will be an option. but i cannot know for certain. it just seems like it's going in that direction.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by amgvr4
sounds like people are getting a sequential transmission and a automatic confused. A sequential box is a manual with a normal clutch system. The difference is that the shift pattern is not an H, it has a push fwd to shift down and pull back to **** up pattern acomplished through a ratcheting drum inside the trans instead of the usual shift forks. I also allows full throttle clutchless shifts when equiped with strieght cut gears. This is not a bad thing. Many of the top tuner r32-r34 gtrs have aftermarket hollinger units installed. It is doubtfull though that this is what will make its way into the v35 gtr, and I like all of you am hoping for a standard six speed option at least. I posted a pic of the signal auto r34 that won the Seattle Formula Drift comp using a hollinger six speed sequential box.

Sequentials are a dual type clutch system, but are far from normal clutches. they do not have a clutch peddal. Its a automatic type shift.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:31 PM
GTRForums Staff

At this point, I know for sure that it will be a 7 speed dual clutch paddle. Multiple reliable sources have confirmed this. The question is is Getrag the manufacturer for this? And is there another option?

Wasnt getrag the manufacturer for the r34 6 speed?
Old 11-24-2006, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Charles
At this point, I know for sure that it will be a 7 speed dual clutch paddle. Multiple reliable sources have confirmed this. The question is is Getrag the manufacturer for this? And is there another option?

Wasnt getrag the manufacturer for the r34 6 speed?
No one has confirmed this. please provide any data if you have some.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:22 PM
GTR Member

Audi and BMW both use a form of paddle shifted sequential manuals. Audi even has one in their A3 Quatro (AWD) which is just over $30k, so they are affordable and able to work in AWD configurations.

The Inifinit G35 and Lexus IS350 use a regular automatic that is shifted electronically via paddle shifters, no where near the same speed and quality of the Audi or BMW sequentials. The Audi A3 paddle shifted Quatro shifts so quickly and smoothly it is simply amazing! Well worth a test drive! The lexus IS350 was a very nice car but horribly slow shifting...

A sequential in the GTR seems so obvious, yet I hope they still offer a manual...

-AL
Old 02-06-2007, 10:41 PM

I didn't get a change to read through this entire tread but i would like to add my .2 cents. Audi has a sequential called DSG (Direct-Shift-Gearbox), it would just like getrags dual wet clutch transmission works except it has been used in racing more often than getrag. Audi (technically VW) obtained the transmission from Borgwarner and even though they have trademarked the name DSG, the technology is still up for grabs. The pros to this transmission is that it's much faster shifting (forget the GTI DSG which has a slower shift because of the DSG programing) and the long term life of the transmission should be better given that there are no modifications *wink wink*. The downsides are the serviceability, weight, and the lack of aftermarket solutions which you have to admit is a huge appeal to the long lived clutch. Just based on that and the problems Mitsubishi has had honoring warrarnties with modifications will drive Nissan to go the route of clutch. THe DSG or any sequential for the matter requires special training, and tools. The people that doubt that a sequential would be hard to implement in the GT-R should look at the Audi TT AWD, they did it, theres no stopping Nissan besides the service element. It sucks for the hardcore racers like me that want every second, but i guess it still maintains the fun factor of a manual
Old 03-05-2007, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Spazpilot
Sequentials are a dual type clutch system, but are far from normal clutches. they do not have a clutch peddal. Its a automatic type shift.
Not true........ Once agine people are getting confused as to what sequential is referring to. It has nothing to do with what clutch system is used. There are sequential transmissions that have multiplate clutches that are electronicly activated but many use a standard clutch that is depressed by your foot. Once a again the only thing sequential is referring to is the physical way the gears are changed inside the transmission. Whether you shift with a floor mounted lever and push the clutch yourself (old GTR style, many WRC cars, and most aftermarket upgrade sequentials) or shift with paddles or buttons and the computer actuated the clutch (BMW smg, F1 cars ect) makes no difference. Also I haven't found any proof that the Audi dsg is truly a sequential shift trans. All the cut aways I have seen do not show if the gears are changed by forks (normal) or barrel ratchets (sequential). Many automotive journalists claim it as such but mistakenly identify the double clutch system as making it "sequential".

Last edited by amgvr4; 03-05-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:08 PM

Here is a link to some pictures of a Holinger six speed sequential. Look at the input shaft and clutch fork and you will see they are designed to be used with the same clutch, master cylinder, and slave cylinder as a factory manual trans. These sell for $15,000 with out the bell housing to adapt it to whatever engine you are using it with. http://www.peak-performance.net/content/view/219/137/

Quick Reply: New GTR transmission theory