General General forums for the GTR community.

The official hilarious markup thread. Dealers listing crazy markups

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:30 AM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by darstar007
By charging $60K over MSRP!!!!!!!
My suggestion would be to go to any Nissan dealer outside of California. They're going to have people paying through the nose simply because people will. I mean really, if people are willing to pay that much then they should mark them up that much. It's all consumer driven. I simply refuse to offer business to them.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:55 AM
spt
GTR Senior Member

I only think this can be the case with the GT-R if other manufacturers can produce similar performing vehicles around $75K. So far only the Z06 is a legitimate competitor.
The 911, M5, E55, and Exige were all the same when the new model version or first introduction just came out. A few years ago I was on a order list for the 2000 M5. At first BMW was stating that they were only going to make a small amount of the car during the first year. I was #6 on the list and I had to put down $5k. At the time, the hype for new car releases wasn't as big as it is today. When the car finally made it to the US, the hype started to build up and dealers started taking advantage and started charging markups. The dealer tried to charge a 15K markup on me but because I made them agree to a certain price they couldn't change it on me. Well needless to say, after the first year (or close to it) BMW started to increase production #'s and dealers started to discount the car.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this will happen for sure with the GTR. I just think that a car like this with so much demand, Nissan is going to look to make the most $$ they can while they can. First year production #'s will always be lower because they are trying to create a marketing animal behind it to sell more cars by making people think that they are only making so many so run out now to buy one. I'm sure Nissan knows that the dealers are going to charge a markup at first but I don't think they are going to what it to happen for a long period of time. People will get frustrated with the ridiculous markup's and at one point, paying over 100K for the GTR destroys a selling point for Nissan (more performance then a 911 turbo at almost half the price).

I just think the first year will be interesting to watch to see what will happen. I'm hoping I'm right and the people who want a GTR will be able to get one at MSRP and not have to go through the hassle. I for one want to get one but I refuse put more money into dealer pockets then I'm already doing. It doesn't seem right.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:04 AM
spt
GTR Senior Member

Wow, I just got off the phone with a dealer and here's their reasoning for the markup's:

- The dealer has to buy a special lift for the GTR because of it's dimensions.
- The car needs a special truck to be transported.
- The dealer needs special tools to work on the car.
- and the list goes on.

After he said that, I started laughing. I've never heard so many excuses to charge a markup in my life. I was talking to a friend who works for a Nissan dealer, and basically this is the dealer's answer to people getting mad about the markups. A simple defense to justify the outrageous price increase.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:33 AM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by spt
Wow, I just got off the phone with a dealer and here's their reasoning for the markup's:

- The dealer has to buy a special lift for the GTR because of it's dimensions.
- The car needs a special truck to be transported.
- The dealer needs special tools to work on the car.
- and the list goes on.

After he said that, I started laughing. I've never heard so many excuses to charge a markup in my life. I was talking to a friend who works for a Nissan dealer, and basically this is the dealer's answer to people getting mad about the markups. A simple defense to justify the outrageous price increase.
These costs shouldn't be recovered by charging > MSRP in my opinion...this should all be covered in vehicle costs. If these reasons are legit, then two for Nissan for poor planning...simply ridiculous.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:47 AM

My dealer quoted me 15k over MSRP yesterday.

I'm having a hard time justifying this car over a new Z06 for $85,000.......
Old 12-14-2007, 01:02 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rez90
My dealer quoted me 15k over MSRP yesterday.

I'm having a hard time justifying this car over a new Z06 for $85,000.......
I hear ya. I'm assuming you could take a Z06 to nearly any chevy dealer...not so with the GTR apparently. I like to do my own labor, but if I have a warranty issue I don't want to travel far to get it fixed.

Last edited by winkie; 12-14-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:45 PM
fjs

Originally Posted by gearheadbill
I think Nissan is forcing the dealers to charge a markup,they have to recoup that CERTIFICATION money($20,000-$30,000)SOMEHOW? if they want to sell the GT R, ,not that I will pay it?
My guy that is working on it for me says that dealers are confused right now,only1500 for the US,HOW MANY DOES THAT MAKE PER DEALER? unless there is some dealer incentive, like what I do ot know?
I know the dealers are going to get their cut some how?
If I cannot get one in the first year what is going to happen next year?
I guess time will tell
Just My 2 cents
Gearheadbill
Special equipment required in the Service Dept can be written off. Sending sales or techicians to Japan are definitely travel expenses and can be written off too. And marking it up as much as the market will bear is real money! So it all boils down to the reality whereas the bigger dealerships can easily write off whatever certification program Nissan wants to call it and the small dealerships will be SOL

IIRC, Audi did the same thing with the R8. Dealers that want to sell the R8 has to put up some ridiculous amount up front too, i think it was $100k or $150k. Just to sell that few cars a year too. I guess it's another way for the manufacturer to make money nowadays.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:30 PM
GTR Member

There is still time for things to clear up, but at this point in time (~ 6 months till it hits the States), we know that the GT-R will be rare as hell and probably require special equipment and training to be serviced. Business 101 says it will be verrrry expensive to buy this car unless the supply is pumped up. Nissan better not try selling this as a "supercar bargain" if this is the case or a lot of us will be scoping out a new Z06 and pocket the $30K diifference.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:59 PM
GTR Senior Member

There is still time for things to clear up, but at this point in time (~ 6 months till it hits the States), we know that the GT-R will be rare as hell and probably require special equipment and training to be serviced. Business 101 says it will be verrrry expensive to buy this car unless the supply is pumped up. Nissan better not try selling this as a "supercar bargain" if this is the case or a lot of us will be scoping out a new Z06 and pocket the $30K diifference.

They already are marketing the GTR as a supercar bargain..."the ultimate supercar that can be driven by anyone, anytime, anywhere", implying that it's much more affordable...at least that was how I understood part of that comment.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:24 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by winkie
I hear ya. I'm assuming you could take a Z06 to nearly any chevy dealer...not so with the GTR apparently. I like to do my own labor, but if I have a warranty issue I don't want to travel far to get it fixed.

Yep a 100k warranty on any Z06 07 or 08.

You can get a brand new 07 Z06 for almost 10k off MSRP at more than a few dealerships. A real performance bargin at those prices IMO

This 20k - 60k over MSRP will kill a lot of potenial buyers dreams of owning a GT-R but for some of us that have a rock solid MSRP deal on one I would flip mine in a minute for a profit like that. If they stay close to MSRP then I will keep it and start the modding

Quick Reply: The official hilarious markup thread. Dealers listing crazy markups