General General forums for the GTR community.

The official hilarious markup thread. Dealers listing crazy markups

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 04:56 AM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by 08Skygtr
Yep a 100k warranty on any Z06 07 or 08.

You can get a brand new 07 Z06 for almost 10k off MSRP at more than a few dealerships. A real performance bargin at those prices IMO

This 20k - 60k over MSRP will kill a lot of potenial buyers dreams of owning a GT-R but for some of us that have a rock solid MSRP deal on one I would flip mine in a minute for a profit like that. If they stay close to MSRP then I will keep it and start the modding
I agree 100%. The only issue that could come about if you flipped the car is that (I've heard) if you resell a GTR within 12 months of purchasing that the factory warranty is void, and if true this would greatly reduce the resell value. This isn't anything very legit (I hope) because I've only heard this by word of mouth...not from anyone at Nissan.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:32 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by winkie
I agree 100%. The only issue that could come about if you flipped the car is that (I've heard) if you resell a GTR within 12 months of purchasing that the factory warranty is void, and if true this would greatly reduce the resell value. This isn't anything very legit (I hope) because I've only heard this by word of mouth...not from anyone at Nissan.

I heard the same thing but I don't know if it is true or just a rumor. I think it would be hard to inforce though.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:18 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by 08Skygtr
I heard the same thing but I don't know if it is true or just a rumor. I think it would be hard to inforce though.
I hope it's a rumor...but all the dealership have to do is run a registration check on the car, if the car was re-registered during the first 12 months...bingo.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:58 AM
GTR Member

I don't think it is likely at all. Many people will not only want the GTR, but will want to upgrade to V-spec variants etc, which will be available within a years time, and with U.S. production starting so late, I doubt it will be a factor at all in the United States.

I could see it happening in Japan, where demand is even more feverish, but production is starting much sooner.

Preorders apparently start next month in the U.S., so this will be known soon if one is to sign contracts, because if it is not in the contract, it won't be happening.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:50 AM
fjs

Originally Posted by winkie
Nissan "was" thinking about it, but decided not to

http://forums.gtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=641
Old 12-17-2007, 02:47 PM
GTR Member

Let the gouging begin....

Old 12-21-2007, 12:34 AM
GTR Senior Member

Question

I posted this on the other GT-R forum. I will repost it here to add to the discussion. Make what you will of it:

Here is what Universal City Nissan sales guys (2 of them) said to me today:

I was eating at Poquito Mas and 2 Nissan guys walk in. I'm literally a short walk from the dealer at this location. They must have been on break.

As I sat facing the front door at a high-top table eating a steak burrito (that was damn good), I got their attention and asked them if they were sales people and they said yes, but were initially reluctant to speak with me. Their body language was a bit stand-offish like "who's this strange man?" But so what. I kept pressing.

I just blatantly asked without any introduction "How long is the wait list for the GT-R," and one of them smiled and didn't say anything.

His buddy, the 2nd guy, then sounded off and said "There isn't one"

"What?" I said.

"There isn't an actual wait list yet. They're taking deposits next month but not before that. Only people who know the owners have a car waiting right now..."

"Oohh." I smiled. It confirmed my cynical idea that if you're on the inside you have a ride. Probably at a discount, too. But I didn't pursue that. I just let them talk.

So by now the first guy warmed up and began to spill it: "It's a $20,000 deposit down to reserve a car."

As I raised an eyebrow while sipping iced-tea, he saw I looked more intrigued and ready for more...

"That's 20,000 on top of sticker... $20,000 markup."

"Oh, I see. How many cars will you be getting next year?" I asked casually.

His buddy, the 2nd guy then said as he looked a bit "surrendered," hands in pockets: "This car is going to be hard to get" he said, shaking his head a little bit like "no."

He then added "They'll be very hard to get at first, but then they should be more available after the first year maybe. It's a new model so it's very limited."

The first guy then added "about 5 or 6."

-------------------

Universal City Nissan IIRC is the largest volume Nissan in the entire USA. And they're only getting 5 or 6 GT-Rs according to these guys, at a $20,000 markup --that must be made before you can even reserve an R35. If you don't lay down 20 thousand up front you cannot get in line for a GT-R.

Draw your own conclusions from my experience today.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:19 AM
GTR Member

Sounds like exactly the situation here in the SF Bay Area. Unless you're willing to commit to a significant amount over MSRP or your dad owns the local Nissan dealership, there is no hope for the immediate future. Whether Nissan ever decides to mass-produce this car is the ultimate factor. My guess at this point is....NO.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:04 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by bonzelite
I posted this on the other GT-R forum. I will repost it here to add to the discussion. Make what you will of it:

Here is what Universal City Nissan sales guys (2 of them) said to me today:

I was eating at Poquito Mas and 2 Nissan guys walk in. I'm literally a short walk from the dealer at this location. They must have been on break.

As I sat facing the front door at a high-top table eating a steak burrito (that was damn good), I got their attention and asked them if they were sales people and they said yes, but were initially reluctant to speak with me. Their body language was a bit stand-offish like "who's this strange man?" But so what. I kept pressing.

I just blatantly asked without any introduction "How long is the wait list for the GT-R," and one of them smiled and didn't say anything.

His buddy, the 2nd guy, then sounded off and said "There isn't one"

What?" I said.

"There isn't an actual wait list yet. They're taking deposits next month but not before that. Only people who know the owners have a car waiting right now..."

"Oohh." I smiled. It confirmed my cynical idea that if you're on the inside you have a ride. Probably at a discount, too. But I didn't pursue that. I just let them talk.

So by now the first guy warmed up and began to spill it: "It's a $20,000 deposit down to reserve a car."

As I raised an eyebrow while sipping iced-tea, he saw I looked more intrigued and ready for more...

"That's 20,000 on top of sticker... $20,000 markup."

"Oh, I see. How many cars will you be getting next year?" I asked casually.

His buddy, the 2nd guy then said as he looked a bit "surrendered," hands in pockets: "This car is going to be hard to get" he said, shaking his head a little bit like "no."

He then added "They'll be very hard to get at first, but then they should be more available after the first year maybe. It's a new model so it's very limited."

The first guy then added "about 5 or 6."

-------------------

Universal City Nissan IIRC is the largest volume Nissan in the entire USA. And they're only getting 5 or 6 GT-Rs according to these guys, at a $20,000 markup --that must be made before you can even reserve an R35. If you don't lay down 20 thousand up front you cannot get in line for a GT-R.

Draw your own conclusions from my experience today.
I AGREE!!

I think you guys on the west coast will more than likely see the highest mark ups on the GT-R. I'm sure that some will pay 20k - 30k over MSRP.

I'm glad I'm sitting on a "notorized signed agreement for MSRP on one and I also ordered mine right after the 2007 SEMA show last year when the guys from AMS ( supporting vendor ) the shop that built my Evo said that the car is going to be a "beast and I think you should jump on it. Thats when I knew I wanted one.

Also got a call from my sales person yesterday and he said that we will probably will see dealers putting their orders in sometime around April with July as the expected time the car hits the showroom floors.

I leaning towards White!
Old 12-23-2007, 09:26 AM
GTR Member

Dude I see your from rochester, NY what dealer did you go to? And is there anyway you think I can go and reserve one there? I'm in the 5 boroughs but I've called almost 10 dealerships and the only one that know's anything is the one that's marking it up 20k.

Quick Reply: The official hilarious markup thread. Dealers listing crazy markups