General General forums for the GTR community.

The official hilarious markup thread. Dealers listing crazy markups

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 12:43 PM

Nissan has spent so much time and money and effort into making this car, don't tell me they don't want to make money off it. Selling 1500 units of a $70k car in the biggest automobile market of the world won't justify the development cost. This 1500 units hype is just to draw more attention and test the market in a way and I believe they would actually sell only 1500 units for this year. But next year Nissan will jack up the production drastically because eventually the reason of doing business is making profits. Lexus LS and Nissan GT-R are in the same price range, look at how many LSs Lexus sold every month, around 2000 to 3000 units, that is approximately 30000 units a year. Although I understand you can't compare sedan to coupe, it still tell you many many people are able and willing to take out $70k out of their bank account to buy a nice car. Therefore, I think there is no reason for Nissan to limit the production if there is demand. At least 3000 units next year, if not 5000.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:15 PM
GTR Member

Right. It's going to be a waiting game.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:12 AM
GTRForums Staff

Originally Posted by GTRcHaRgEr
The Nissan in my city is saying there only marking it up 2995 or so over msrp!

Now that is very reasonable. Post it up in the MSRP thread as that is close enough
Old 11-30-2007, 07:33 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by rodel12
I'm not very educated with how dealers work and how they can justify marking up the GT-R so much. Is it really that costly for dealers obtain such car?

When I was in the market for the Subaru STI or the EVO back in 2004, I thought the $5K mark up I've seen was crazy... now it is way over that!
Before a Nissan dealer can sell a GT-R that store has to be certified. There has to be an sales consultant trained about the GT-R, an ASE Certified/Nissan Master Tech and Service Manager training as well. Other costs incurred are having the proper equipment in your shop to service the GT-R. Having the proper lift in order to mount and balance tires is essential. Overall costs of training and equipment is right at $45K. Now weight in the fact that most dealers are only being allocated 2 or 3 GT-R's total for the year! So why not mark it up to try to at least cover the expenses in just being "certified." I agree that $60K is a bit extreme but that's in California....home of the Google millionaires...lol. Here in Virginia we would be laughed at and cussed out all day. With the clients (3 so far) I've had we've managed to come to a happy medium. The clientel I've had that has been serious enough about owning a GT-R are willing to pay over sticker because they see the value/exclusivity in owning a GT-R. Hopefully this shines some light onto why most dealers are marking up the GT-R. I'm a newbie so if I crossed any lines be easy ok.....thanks.....
Old 12-01-2007, 06:55 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by NERDJustBNME
Before a Nissan dealer can sell a GT-R that store has to be certified. There has to be an sales consultant trained about the GT-R, an ASE Certified/Nissan Master Tech and Service Manager training as well. Other costs incurred are having the proper equipment in your shop to service the GT-R. Having the proper lift in order to mount and balance tires is essential. Overall costs of training and equipment is right at $45K. Now weight in the fact that most dealers are only being allocated 2 or 3 GT-R's total for the year! So why not mark it up to try to at least cover the expenses in just being "certified." I agree that $60K is a bit extreme but that's in California....home of the Google millionaires...lol. Here in Virginia we would be laughed at and cussed out all day. With the clients (3 so far) I've had we've managed to come to a happy medium. The clientel I've had that has been serious enough about owning a GT-R are willing to pay over sticker because they see the value/exclusivity in owning a GT-R. Hopefully this shines some light onto why most dealers are marking up the GT-R. I'm a newbie so if I crossed any lines be easy ok.....thanks.....
Virginia used to have the AOL millionaires. But that didn't mean anyone was paying up on anything!

I'll pay over for a GTR the same amount I'm paying for the Scuderia!
Old 12-01-2007, 10:10 AM
GTR Member

Very understandable. In this case, I fault Nissan (not the dealers) for dishonestly undervalueing the MSRP. You are sooo right about the Google millionaires out here....way too much disposable income.

Originally Posted by NERDJustBNME
Old 12-02-2007, 11:32 PM

New to this forum so hi everyone. So you know a little about me at least in the car sense, I currently own a 94 RX-7 (weekend driver and show car), and a 99 Silvia fully prepped as a race car.
I have been watching the development of the GTR for some time now and trying to make the decision as to whether this was the car for me. Now that I have seen the final direction of this car, I realize it is, and will be the next car I buy. Like they are advertising it, anyone, anywhere, anytime. Yes, that works for me. I can easily see a nice Silver or White GTR with my snowboards on a roof rack headed up to the mountains in the winter, yet equally capable of pulling a sub 1:32 at Laguna Seca. Plus, the car will allow me to double my track time, competing in two different classes for each weekend. I was initially not sure about the styling of the car, it is hard to tell in photographs. But as I stood in front of it in the San Franscisco Auto Show last Thursday, all those doubts melted away. It is something to see in person and I can see and appreciate the direction Nissan was going with the looks on this car.
Will I pay the absurd markup the dealers will initially want. No I will not. If everyone took that same position, that markup would go away. Sadly, there are enough people out there with more money than sense who will pay that markup and as long as that is the case, these dealers are going to be able to pocket a nice fat bonus on each GTR they sell. That however will change once Nissan finds a way to bring those production numbers up. Allowing your dealers (that are independently owned) to pocket all that extra cash because you undershot the market demand for your product is just not smart business and Mr. Ghosn is a smart man. If you have 3000 customers waiting every year for a product you are only making 1500 of, you are losing a lot of income. It won't be long before Nissan takes action on this (they already are experiencing this in the Japanese domestic market where they also did not correctly estimate the demand for this car). To me it is just a matter of supply and demand. The demand is there, so as long as Nissan increases the supply to meet that demand, the pricing will fall in line. Until that time, we will just have to wait for the "have to have it, have to have it now at any price" crew to get their fill before the rest of us can get our GTR.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:05 AM
GTR Member

I'm not so sure Nissan will ever make a car comparable to a GT3 like the GT-R available at the $70K price we are hoping for. It seems more like a marketing ploy more than anything.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:35 PM
GTR Member

Angry Wow!!

LOL this is just crazy you guys have to see this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...em150190064468. Itīs pretty crazy also that I live about 5 mins from the dealer was there last week and as per the sales rep there they arent taking any orders so I donīt know wtf these retards are doing. Sorry it just pisses me off to see stuff like this. Enjoy you guys!!

Old 12-05-2007, 04:39 PM

Looks like the ebay listing was removed already... I imagine it was an auction to be able to order a GTR?

As far as crazy markups, I can't even get a dealer around here (San Diego, Orange & Riverside counties of So Cal) to take a pre-order or tell me when they'll have one. I might be willing to pay 5k over, but that's about as far as I'd really go.

Quick Reply: The official hilarious markup thread. Dealers listing crazy markups