GTRForums News & Rumors Check this forum for the latest news in the GTR community and rumors about existing and future Skyline GTR models.

Recent GTR Info From Edmunds

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 12:52 PM
GTR Senior Member

from what i gather by now, the new GT-R will NOT be based on the 350Z, V35, FX platform. it will be its own platform, new, on which subsequent Skylines will be based.

i think it will look pretty butch. i have a good feeling. i think it will look very intimidating and not "dainty." i do really like, perhaps love, the G35 coupe design. it is elegant and a head-turner. i think the GT-R will be that on steroids.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:47 AM

Yes it will be based of the 350Z, G35, etc. Thats the FM platform and its will be a fast car. But I doubt it will be worth the high dollar, Im not saying I won't own one, but I sure would like to see if the new GT-R can in any way destroy my Evo 8.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:47 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by evoland
Yes it will be based of the 350Z, G35, etc. Thats the FM platform and its will be a fast car. But I doubt it will be worth the high dollar, Im not saying I won't own one, but I sure would like to see if the new GT-R can in any way destroy my Evo 8.
despite early and widespread assumptions, there are also news reports floating around that it will very possibly not be based on the FM platform, and that it's new platform will be used to base subsequent cars upon.

i will presume that if the new GT-R cannot outperform the Evo 8, then Nissan should not even bother making it.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by bonzelite

i will presume that if the new GT-R cannot outperform the Evo 8, then Nissan should not even bother making it.
from what it looks like so far, alot of us are evo owners, and need a step up. it had better outperform an evo, or like you said i wont buy it. good call.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by BBY04
from what it looks like so far, alot of us are evo owners, and need a step up. it had better outperform an evo, or like you said i wont buy it. good call.
josh...seaside?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:24 AM

yeah thats me richard. just doing some research. i was thinking about it, and to add to my earlier post, not only should this car easily out perform and evo, but for the money involved it needs to outperform the new Z06. i have heard/read nothing but fantastic reviews of the bad boy. Car and Driver calls it the "best domestic ever made" and the "corvette from hell". seeing as they are both in a similar (speculated) price range they could easily be direct competition. just my .02 or maybe a .05.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:06 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by dragon
Realize that the pictures show a test mule, so I hope that the GTR will have a more distinct look. I have a G-35 coupe and like the looks. While I always assumed the new GTR would be based on the G-35 platform, I am looking for more that just a "slightly" modified G-35 look. Especially at over twice the price of the G-35.
new GTR will more than likely not share V chassis of G35.

new GTR will be a generation removed from G35.

new GTR will not be affordable.

new GTR will not target current demographic who buys G35c or Z car.

new GTR body style is not yet disclosed, and neither will it fully be at 2005 TMS.

Last edited by bonzelite; 09-16-2005 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:00 AM

new GTR will more than likely not share FM platform of G35.

Just assumed GTR would share platform with something. Do not think that Nissan
would have platform just for the GTR.

Good, I am all for that.

As they say it is only not affordable if you do not have the money . Kidding aside
I am sure that the GTR will not be affordable for a majority of people.

Since I currently own a G35c, does that mean I will not like the GTR?

new GTR body style is not yet disclosed, and neither will it fully be at 2005 TMS.

Hope enough of it is disclosed so that we can get a good idea of what it is going to sold in 2008.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:18 AM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by dragon
new GTR will more than likely not share V chassis of G35.

Just assumed GTR would share platform with something. Do not think that Nissan
would have platform just for the GTR.

Good, I am all for that.

As they say it is only not affordable if you do not have the money . Kidding aside
I am sure that the GTR will not be affordable for a majority of people.

Since I currently own a G35c, does that mean I will not like the GTR?

Hope enough of it is disclosed so that we can get a good idea of what it is going to sold in 2008.
dragon, if anything, it would follow that the GTR will be an entirely NEW chassis. why would they want to have a new generation of car be bulit upon an inferior chassis as the V?

to preface, i know i am speculating, and risk being totally wrong (and very soon to be proven as such!). but my thinking, based on all that i have been reading, leads me to think that the GTR will be it's own thing, distinct from anything currently in production. part of the reason the car will be so expensive is because it will not share much internally with current V35s (Skylines).

as well, i have learned to not believe outright what is printed. that is, even though the press has revealed some basic things about the car, some solid truths (and some clueless guesses), it has also omited many other things. so i have learned to read what is not there based upon what is said and what is witheld. nissan itself is intentionally feeding the press what it wants. and nissan does not want anyone to know A LOT of things.

for example, they keep saying Lotus will develop the suspension. and Cosworth may co-develop the engine (maybe). and that the GTR aims to be "lighter than the 350Z." already, given this information, i draw an inference based upon some layman knowledge of engineering: the components and geometry involved in having entirely new systems developed for this car will more than likely require so many "tweaks" and adjustments to the monocoque chassis and underframe, are so radically different than anything yet developed for nissan, that the FM platform, despite how good it is, simply will not be able to accomdate the new systems.

i mean, i think at the outset, nissan maybe wanted to cross-develop the car with others already existing, saving money and time. but i think that notion was quickly abandoned once they began seeing the domino effect of introducing "this and that new thing, these new features, the frame is ultra-exotic, the entire drivetrain geometry is this, is that"...et al. i think they set up a "GTR war room," and said "ok. we are entering uncharted waters."

as well, look at the huge gap in time between the last GTR and this new one. undoubtedly, this alone speaks volumes. the silence reveals a lot. at least to me: this car is no "off the shelf" parts bin composite vehicle. it is R & D'd as an entirely reinvented sports car, several orders of magnitude beyond the 350Z and V35 GT 350 Skyline (and R34). i am certain they used these cars as a point of departure, preserving some styling and heritage cues from them, but the car is probably LESS like those and MORE like an entirely new car.

so will you "not like the new GTR" ? well, who knows. it may be a huge disappointment insofar as how it looks. or it may be surprisingly awesome. i tend to believe that it looks like nothing we have seen yet. perhaps the closest thing to how it may look is the version in Gran Turismo 4 --a fairly early concept. again, i will eat humble pie if this is wrong. i am going on pure intuition based upon what is NOT printed, and what is NOT said.

but they have been quoted as saying, in essence, "the GTR will be very aggressively styled, very masculine and distinct to the GTR, and have strong heritage cues from past GTR's." and many of the hundreds of concepts of the GTR in the press have not looked like this to me. many of the bogus concepts floating around look gay, like that ugly Lexus 2 door sports car they have. and this is why i feel Nissan is really witholding much hard proof of anything, laughing at everyone until "D Day."

i think the upcoming TMS 05 concept will generate a lot of buzz, and officially "cut the red ribbon" for the GTR's re-emergence. and i am sure you will have the haters and the ones in line to get on the pre-order list. but remember as well that the actual GTR will still be 2 years away from going into production. and Nissan will be taking notes on public reaction, making adjustments.

many new cars are developed and put to market in just 2 years, especially if they are cross-platform manufactured. the GTR will be 5, 6, 7 years in the making.

so draw your own conclusions.

Last edited by bonzelite; 09-16-2005 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:24 PM

Actually the pictures show a smokescreen, this was an elaborate ruse to get the media off their backs and it worked. They put a modified G35 body on to hide the real car and to throw off the spy photographers.

Quick Reply: Recent GTR Info From Edmunds