GTRForums News & Rumors Check this forum for the latest news in the GTR community and rumors about existing and future Skyline GTR models.

Nissan to prevent price gouging on GTR

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 05:48 AM
GTR Senior Member

^^^

thats probably a little hopeful, if you don't buy the car, someone else will, you're being a bit immature and outlandish
Old 06-25-2008, 06:11 PM

Actually, I'm not being immature or outlandish at all. I've never paid over sticker for anything, be it car, real estate - nothing, and I won't start now. I'm being consistent. I just don't see the value in paying a $10k or $30k premium for the car. It's just not worth it to me. You're free to spend your money any way you choose. ;-)

I remember back in '99 I was looking for a weekend plaything. In an effort to lessen the cash outlay, I looked at the Anniversary Edition of the Miata. It was a cool little car and had a certain amount of exclusivity, I guess. But the dealers were tacking on a huge "market value adjustment," which put the car close to Porsche Boxster range.

I started thinking about it and took a Boxster for a spin. I ended up driving a Boxster home. Which car do you think held it's value better? It certainly wasn't the extremely overpriced Japanese import. (I'm talking about after the dealer added his markup.) The Miata was correctly priced at MSRP. That's why they put an MSRP sticker on cars to begin with. ;-)

Moral of the story: If the price of something doesn't smell right, remain patient and something better will usually come along.

At $70k, the GTR is a bargain, assuming the frustration of dealing with the Nissan dealership network doesn't drive you to drink. At $80k to $100k, I'd just as soon go buy a Porsche that is actually valued correctly at $80k to $100k. Porsche is a known commodity in the specialty sports car/exotic car market. Proven technology and proven endurance racing results.

I'd still consider the GTR at sticker, but not a penny more.

BC
Old 06-26-2008, 05:00 PM

I'm with you GTRGuy. The very thought of paying an exclusivity tax so I can say "hey look at me, I'm a fiscal idiot" seems pathetic. Sorry, I love the car, but not THAT much. Some may say that if you have big dough, it doesn't matter. Sorry, no matter how much money I make or save, $10K will always mean something.

I've played this game before and also had similar results. Back when the S2K came out, I desperately wanted one. Every dealer I contacted had their nose in the air and a $10-25K premium on a $32K car!! I ended up with a really nice CPO BMW M Roadster.

When the STi came out, same thing except that there were a couple of dealers who preferred to do volume and customer service over outright rape. Paid MSRP the week they landed.

I still have hope for Nissan. Once the dealers feel out the market, there will be a different kind of "adjustment" I believe. If not, I can wait for some rich guy who paid $20K over sticker to get bored of his new toy.

Last edited by ChrisF; 06-26-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:17 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by GTRGuy
Actually, I'm not being immature or outlandish at all. I've never paid over sticker for anything, be it car, real estate - nothing, and I won't start now. I'm being consistent. I just don't see the value in paying a $10k or $30k premium for the car. It's just not worth it to me. You're free to spend your money any way you choose. ;-)

I remember back in '99 I was looking for a weekend plaything. In an effort to lessen the cash outlay, I looked at the Anniversary Edition of the Miata. It was a cool little car and had a certain amount of exclusivity, I guess. But the dealers were tacking on a huge "market value adjustment," which put the car close to Porsche Boxster range.

I started thinking about it and took a Boxster for a spin. I ended up driving a Boxster home. Which car do you think held it's value better? It certainly wasn't the extremely overpriced Japanese import. (I'm talking about after the dealer added his markup.) The Miata was correctly priced at MSRP. That's why they put an MSRP sticker on cars to begin with. ;-)

Moral of the story: If the price of something doesn't smell right, remain patient and something better will usually come along.

At $70k, the GTR is a bargain, assuming the frustration of dealing with the Nissan dealership network doesn't drive you to drink. At $80k to $100k, I'd just as soon go buy a Porsche that is actually valued correctly at $80k to $100k. Porsche is a known commodity in the specialty sports car/exotic car market. Proven technology and proven endurance racing results.

I'd still consider the GTR at sticker, but not a penny more.

BC
What he said ^^^
Old 06-27-2008, 04:59 PM
GTR Member

That is good to hear. We'll have to see what impact it really has. Hopefully Alot.
________
Ipad Guide

Last edited by nissan34; 03-04-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:38 PM

Well, I'll repost it this way: if we all are pissed at the dealers and their mark-ups, there is one thing you can do to hurt them: do not buy what they are selling. The hype will go away, people who dont care about the money will get their GTR's, there will be something new and exiting on the market. If you can live without this car (and you could before)-just dont buy it now. I here people telling about calling all Nissan dealerships in the region/state. That creates more hype. Those dealers just drooling about mark-ups after getting gazillion calls a day. I propose the movement: NO DEALER GETS ANYTHING OVER MSRP.

But if this car is something you would die for--than stop b****ing and go and buy it.

Last edited by m3man; 07-14-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:04 PM

Did you just cut and paste this disaster of a post in three different threads?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:00 AM

i think we are all overlooking something/ Nissan sells the car to the dealer, the dealer sells the car at MARKET ADJUSTMENT price/ so lets take a example of the Evo X MR completely diffrent class of car but yet marker adjustment in my region is still
present/ you can go to any mits lot here and find 2-3 on lot/ why because people are not
paying the markup/ it has been said many times in this thread/ people are paying it/ so
why not charge it/ common sense if you can make more money on demand, why sell it at MSRP. Back to what i was saying, Nissan gets the money back when they sell to the dealer, Nissan does not see *ANY* of the market adjustment/ take for example the Zr-1. price is $104k MSRP i believe, They are trying to sell for 200-300K for why??? because why the demand is high, so is the price/ look at oil prices/need i say more?? if any person on this forum had a gtr and was offered X amount over what they paid simply because the person offering wanted the car that much more, there is no one in the right mind that would say "i paid sticker for it, so i will give it to to you for sticker" now those financially able to afford a GTR probably are not concerned with the price/ the targer median for GTR owners is $150-200K a year and are avid car guys that probably have a collection of cars/supers/exotics already, this car was not built to be affordable, grantide for what it is, even with markup/ it is competing/beating cars twice the amount (exception Z06) but to say Nissan is the bad guy here i don;t feel is right/ if pricing was announced at $120K (Which is where the competition is priced) then people would be complaining about how expensive it is, but because the car is priced at $71K with *adjustment* people are mad. it all comes down to this: NO ONE IS MAKING YOU BUY THE CAR FOR THAT PRICE, those who are buying *KNOW* what they are paying and are willing to pay it.

just my 2 cents
________
strawberry cough

Last edited by Nissan801; 01-25-2011 at 01:47 AM.