GTRForums News & Rumors Check this forum for the latest news in the GTR community and rumors about existing and future Skyline GTR models.

Nissan to prevent price gouging on GTR

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:04 PM

Nissan to prevent price gouging on GTR

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet......... Probably doesn't mean much unfortunately.

http://chisblassternardone.blogspot.com/2008/02/nissan-to-prevent-price-gouging-on-gtr.html
Old 04-16-2008, 10:37 AM
GTR Member

It would be nice but highly unlikely.

However, some encouraging news is that the upper 10% of the richest people in the U.S. that make up 50% of our Gross Monetary value and a large percentage of our spending have all but halted their spending habits. This has led to lower prices on Mansions/ Yachts/ Luxury items and especially luxury and sports cars. Bentley sales are down 40%.

Once these Capitalistic dealers realize that people aren't willing to pay what they were 6 months ago, they will adjust their asking prices. I see somewhere between MSRP and $8,000.00 being the norm in mark-ups depending on the locations.

I would like to say that I am very embarrassed in how 99.9% of the North American Nissan car Dealerships have handled the sales of the GT-R. After seeing this gross display of mark-ups and shady tactics in obtaining GT-Rs for auctions. I think that the GT-R might have been in better hands with the Infinity badge, simply because they are used to having cars of value and prestige.

Most Nissan dealerships seem to lack what the GT-R represents which is all that you want in a sports car plus "class" for a great price. "Class" they (The dealerships) do not seem to have.

-Nate

Last edited by GTRNate; 04-16-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:14 PM

At least so far, it doesn't seem to be helping at all. I've contacted more than a dozen dealerships here in California and all of them told me they'd be getting "market value" (aka, the biggest markup they can get). The dealership in Fresno said they wouldn't even let me put a deposit on the car unless I lived in Fresno. The dealership in Costa Mesa said they aren't taking any orders or deposits, that they're going to put them on the lot and sell them for as much as they can get. Nice. So frustrating.

The markup is only going to slow down sales of the car. Yeah, the dealership will make more money per car, but Nissan makes less money if fewer cars are sold. I don't know why this sort of thing is allowed.

I guess I have to sit back and wait for a year or two till things calm down. My worry though, is that so few will be sold that you'll never see any for MSRP and even used cars will command higher prices. Same thing happened to the Ford GT. You never saw one of those selling for MSRP and now the used ones are going for $160k+.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by MacManInfi
At least so far, it doesn't seem to be helping at all. I've contacted more than a dozen dealerships here in California and all of them told me they'd be getting "market value" (aka, the biggest markup they can get). The dealership in Fresno said they wouldn't even let me put a deposit on the car unless I lived in Fresno. The dealership in Costa Mesa said they aren't taking any orders or deposits, that they're going to put them on the lot and sell them for as much as they can get. Nice. So frustrating.

The markup is only going to slow down sales of the car. Yeah, the dealership will make more money per car, but Nissan makes less money if fewer cars are sold. I don't know why this sort of thing is allowed.

I guess I have to sit back and wait for a year or two till things calm down. My worry though, is that so few will be sold that you'll never see any for MSRP and even used cars will command higher prices. Same thing happened to the Ford GT. You never saw one of those selling for MSRP and now the used ones are going for $160k+.

It's to my understanding that Nissan sells the cars to the dealers then the dealers sell the cars to the consumers. It is not some type of consignment program.

Its crappy to be on this end of the deal. Just think if you were able to get your hands on 2 gtrs for msrp would you flip the 2nd car for a premium? Of course you would and thats what Nissan dealers are doing.

Just like ps3 and xbox360 selling for x3 MSRP. High demand and little supply
Old 04-16-2008, 05:49 PM

I think GTRNate hit the nail on the head. It's true that the dealerships are in business to make money but these kinda of markups that are being reported kill the spirit of the GT-R's namesake if not Nissan all together. Furthermore, if I were a dealer, I would be more concerned with customer loyalty given the current economic downturn. Securing future business seems to have taken a back seat here and common sense has gone out the window (pun intended). This might be easy for me to say now, but, if I end up having to pay 10k+ over MSRP that will be the last car I buy from that particular dealership. Don't get me wrong, I understand "supply and demand" but this seems more like rape and less like a honest deal. What I don't understand is that Nissan knew that supply would be low and that there is a strong following for this car in the states. They must have known that demand and hype would be high. Why then didn't Nissan ask more from the dealerships per copy? Anyway, the production methods should get more efficient thus reducing costs....right? As much as I hate to say this....... I think I will wait.

Cheers
Old 04-16-2008, 06:03 PM

Don't get me wrong, I understand why it happens. I just always find it frustrating when I want a product, have the money and can't get it. And I don't understand why Nissan can't/won't make enough to satisfy the market.

I still don't have a Wii because I won't pay more than MSRP and can't find it in stores around here. As a result, my console gaming money over the past year+ has gone to Microsoft and game studios developing for the X-Box instead. Same will happen with the GT-R. My money will eventually go elsewhere if prices don't come down to MSRP.

I know that's the way it goes, but I still feel poopie about it, and it's a shame that Nissan won't be selling huge numbers of these cars. They deserve to sell gobs of them! How come Chevy made 8000 Z06's this year and Nissan can only muster 2500 cars the first year and 1500 every year after? The GT-R should easily outsell the Z06 due to the performance plus practicality (4 seats are a huge win for me).
Old 04-16-2008, 06:20 PM

I think it adds a little something when something is produced in a limited quantity.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:54 PM

Maybe, but at some costs that may or may not be worth it, depending upon how much you value that little something. Some examples that come to mind:

Fewer production numbers =
Fewer (more expensive) aftermarket parts
Smaller car communities/clubs
Fewer (more expensive) new and used parts
Higher maintanance costs
Higher Repair Costs (fewer people/shops who know how to work on them)
Higher Insurance Costs
Less brand visibility (fewer really cool cars with Nissan's name running around)
Old 04-16-2008, 07:13 PM

Hey I agree with you. But, one has to think that there is a full time team at Nissan who is controlling the pricing and quantity.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:24 PM

lol, you are right as well. I'm sure there are teams of people in charge there that have thought about this longer than I have. Smarter too! I'll still cross my fingers and hope that I'll be able to get one within the next few years.

Quick Reply: Nissan to prevent price gouging on GTR