GTRForums News & Rumors Check this forum for the latest news in the GTR community and rumors about existing and future Skyline GTR models.

Nissan plans on taking steps to prevent dealer markups on GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 05:10 AM

Nissan has taken steps to prevent massive dealer markups on the upcoming GT-R. The company recently announced the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $69,850 before pre-orders have even begun in attempts to make sure that high dealer markups are kept to a minimum.

But to even be able to sell the GT-R, each dealership must be certified by Nissan that it can provide high levels of customer service and that only high-level personnel will handle the transaction to curb any predatory sales, reports Edmunds.

Certification is expected to begin around January and February, while pre-orders for the GT-R begin on January 1.

Nissan will also route all customer enquiries or complaints about the GT-R to actual Nissan regional vice-presidents rather than dealerships or the standard customer service channels. This is to make sure that customers have some recourse against dealerships that are acting incorrectly.

However such a low starting price and a run of only 1500 per year for the U.S., it seems that Nissan’s attempts to prevent gouging will be fairly futile. In Japan recently, a used GT-R sold for $20,000 more than the starting MSRP of a new GT-R, highlighting how high demand for the car has already become. As more and more performance tests are completed, it’s becoming obvious the GT-R is the car to beat in the bang for buck category.

Source: http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/n...-the-new-gt-r/
Old 12-27-2007, 06:57 AM

It will be fun to see how much they really enforce this.....
Old 12-27-2007, 11:09 AM

I already talked to 2 dealers here that will carry them, one wants 10K over and the other wants 30K over. I told them to go to hell.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by theycallmebutter
I already talked to 2 dealers here that will carry them, one wants 10K over and the other wants 30K over. I told them to go to hell.
Which one is offering 10k over? I'll make that deposit tomorrow...
Old 12-29-2007, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by theycallmebutter

LOL, Nice that would make two of us....
Old 12-29-2007, 12:47 PM
GTR Senior Member

I'd just wait this out unless you've just got to have it now. People are gonna flip them and when that gets tiring, the prices will drop.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:32 PM

I went into a dealer personally today in SW Florida. Strangely open on new years day... The sales staff there had recently been briefed on the strict rule of very little markup on the car. I was told 70 K$ was the price, there was no funny business and if any dealer tries they could be reprimanded by Nissan. I could have put a down payment to hold one for March delivery this afternoon - only $2000.00, would give me one of the their first 7 deliveries. (promised delivery but who knows?)

It was smart you guys refusing that mark-up. Shop around and complain to Nissan head office about how you were treated!

As much as i want to get this car , I'm going to be patient and wait a few extra months so I can get the color and options i want to live with for the many years of pleasure to come after finally taking delivery.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:48 AM

1 Dallas Area Est. Price

I sent emails to 3 or 4 Dallas area Nissan dealers inquiring about the GT-R and immediately got feedback from 1 dealer. He said the estimated price would be around 100k. And also mentioned that not all dealers are willing to make the capital investment required to be authorized to sale and service the car.

Well I politely declined, I don't think they need to recoup their entire capital outlay on the first 1 or 2 cars sold.

I will wait to hear back from the others.

Ron
Old 01-02-2008, 01:57 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by TOGTR2007
I went into a dealer personally today in SW Florida. Strangely open on new years day... The sales staff there had recently been briefed on the strict rule of very little markup on the car. I was told 70 K$ was the price, there was no funny business and if any dealer tries they could be reprimanded by Nissan. I could have put a down payment to hold one for March delivery this afternoon - only $2000.00, would give me one of the their first 7 deliveries. (promised delivery but who knows?)

It was smart you guys refusing that mark-up. Shop around and complain to Nissan head office about how you were treated!

As much as i want to get this car , I'm going to be patient and wait a few extra months so I can get the color and options i want to live with for the many years of pleasure to come after finally taking delivery.

I have seen no information to suggest the GTR will be here before June, or late summer for the most part.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by 02HREBlue
I have seen no information to suggest the GTR will be here before June, or late summer for the most part.
I had no luck on line or even calling Nissan head office in mid december. I was very surprised by the response as well when i walked in the dealer. The salesperson did say they are the dealer with the most sales in Florida overall of Nissan's. (I think to say they have a preferred status over other dealers?) They actually just sold a GTR and a 20K deposit was put on it, earlier in the day, so it was easy for him to quote me numbers from the deal just made.

I can only repeat what I was told and believe me - i was expecting very little when i walked in to the dealer. I have been following all the articles and was surprised to see the car listed in a 2008 buyers guide magazine as well.

If someone is that interested i can PM u a phone number and even the name of the salesman at the dealer.

Quick Reply: Nissan plans on taking steps to prevent dealer markups on GT-R