GTRForums News & Rumors Check this forum for the latest news in the GTR community and rumors about existing and future Skyline GTR models.

Nissan plans on taking steps to prevent dealer markups on GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:20 PM

Thumbs up

Kudos to Nissan

It would be great if it were somewhat successful
Old 01-24-2008, 12:59 PM
GTR Senior Member

In all honesty I feel that the intervention of Nissan into dealer markups is highly symbolic. They mean well but I doubt can eliminate markups.

If you don't want to pay markups or simply cannot, just wait out the storm. Markups cannot persist forever. The hype will die.

There will be used GT-Rs on the market, so there is another field of options there as well. Expect a circus-like atmosphere, though, for this whole year, with some orders probably not being filled until the autumn or even winter.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:22 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by bonzelite
Markups cannot persist forever. The hype will die.
I can't wait for the hype to die. I'm refusing to pay thousands over MSRP.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:55 PM
GTR Senior Member

Good man. Don't pander to it. Sit and wait it out IF it's really as bad as it could be.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:13 PM
GTR Senior Member

somewhere i thought that i heard this was supposed to be an affordable supercar, i don't see why they don't just make more

even as an economics major, i don't get it
Old 02-20-2008, 10:29 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by rmatt8748
somewhere i thought that i heard this was supposed to be an affordable supercar, i don't see why they don't just make more

even as an economics major, i don't get it

It is an affordable supercar. Look at what is considered a supercar and compare the prices. A Ferrari 599GTB is considered a supercar and it is MSRP $250,000 but sells for $400,000.

Even with premiums, an R35 will only be about $100,000-$120,000. That's quite cheaper than the Ferrari.

Other supercars are nearly as expensive or even more expenseive, into half a million to 1 million dollars.

Why doesn't Nissan build as many R35s as Maximas? well....

... why would they?

It wouldn't be very exclusive if they made them in massive numbers.

Nissan is intentionally keeping production low to not dilute the legend and aura of the GT-R name. It's not a car for everybody and it was never intended to be.

This is not any different than making few GT500s, FordGTs, ZR1s, Porsche GT2s, Ferraris.

Automakers are allowed to have an exclusive line of their cars if they have the means and the budget. Halo cars are often unnecessary cars and are meant to showcase a carmaker's best tricks.

Halo cars are not meant for bread-and-butter sales. That is what G35s, Altimas, and Maximas are for. Not GT-Rs.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:40 AM

Well - I've been #1 on the list for ages and officially placed my deposit down two nights ago with a contract in hand. Black/Black Premium is what I'm getting.

So - this thread is cluttered with conflicting information. What is the exact production number for 2009 GTR's into the US? The last I read is 1500 - can anyone confirm or provide a source?

Last edited by SC-CUSTOMS; 02-21-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:48 PM
GTRForums Staff

Originally Posted by SC-CUSTOMS
Well - I've been #1 on the list for ages and officially placed my deposit down two nights ago with a contract in hand. Black/Black Premium is what I'm getting.

So - this thread is cluttered with conflicting information. What is the exact production number for 2009 GTR's into the US? The last I read is 1500 - can anyone confirm or provide a source?

Lucky guy. As for production number, I do not believe Nissan has ever made an official announcement. 1500 is the speculated number.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:55 AM

Signed the contract...

I signed the contract and ordered a GT-R premium (Gun Metallic/Black leather) at Bates Nissan in Texas. I do believe they might have one left and will not rape you like many of the other dealers selling this car. Talk to Mark and he will take care of you. (That's if the last one is still available)
Old 02-22-2008, 06:32 PM

I want the GTR bad, but will not pay the markup. When are the cars suppose to hit dealers in the states?

Quick Reply: Nissan plans on taking steps to prevent dealer markups on GT-R