GTRForums News & Rumors Check this forum for the latest news in the GTR community and rumors about existing and future Skyline GTR models.

Infinit or Nissan for GT-R_debate

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 07:37 AM

Who really cares if it is a Nissan or Infiniti?

If the GTR is offered as an Infiniti in the U.S., there will be plenty of Nissan badges readily available in Japan for all you DIE HARD enthusiasts!!!
Old 04-03-2006, 08:25 PM
GTR Member

i think they should sell it as both. Nissan for the purists where the GT-R is pure racing. Infiniti should sell one where it's all luxurized (heehee) where it would be weighed down by fanciful additions such as lcd tvs, a ps3, a copy of NFSU, heavy trimmings, more speakers, spinners, suicide doors, a really large wing, and a maid.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:05 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by anonymous_
Infiniti should sell one where it's all luxurized (heehee) where it would be weighed down by fanciful additions such as lcd tvs, a ps3, a copy of NFSU, heavy trimmings, more speakers, spinners, suicide doors, a really large wing, and a maid.
that is not luxury. that is tasteless ghetto. undoubtedly, there will be the minority gangsta crowd that blings out the GTR, encrusting it in tacky over-the-top crap such as you have mentioned.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:21 PM
GTR Member

ever heard of a sense of humor my friend? i even had a cue (heehee) that i was joking. either you were pmsing or you like smacking down noobies. anyways, my true opinion is to keep the gt-r nissan. it was originally badged as nissan, it is legendary as a nissan, and should stay a nissan. if you want a infiniti gt-r, just get the new g35 sports coupe and bolt on a twin turbo.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:54 AM
GTR Senior Member

ever heard of a sense of humor my friend? i even had a cue (heehee) that i was joking. either you were pmsing or you like smacking down noobies. anyways, my true opinion is to keep the gt-r nissan. it was originally badged as nissan, it is legendary as a nissan, and should stay a nissan. if you want a infiniti gt-r, just get the new g35 sports coupe and bolt on a twin turbo.
i have no sense of humor about ghetto bling. it sucks. and i do like to slam noobs who mention ghetto bling, or anything revealing of such tastes.

moreover, your statement about "just get a new g35 sports coupe and bolt on a twin turbo" --- even if you are still "joking," bolting on such a thing is absolutely not equal to the GTR in any way, shape, or form. the entire monocoque geometry and design of the GTR, it's attributes beyond only the turbo chargers, is far beyond what the new "G35" (if it is even called that) will be about. the platforms are not cross-compatible as in times past when all Skylines shared the same platform, yet had differing trim and performance levels. the new GTR is it's own planet, removed from the Skyline platform to be it's own identity. the mere addition of 2 turbo units does not suddenly render you with a "GTR."
Old 04-17-2006, 11:47 PM
GTR Member

sorry dude. obviously you are a gt-r purist. i just got that idea from some site that i found about basically transforming a g35 into a gtr. they even had the gt-r badge thingy in front. twin turbo kit, body kit, etc. kinda cool.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:23 AM
GTR Senior Member

sorry dude. obviously you are a gt-r purist. i just got that idea from some site that i found about basically transforming a g35 into a gtr. they even had the gt-r badge thingy in front. twin turbo kit, body kit, etc. kinda cool.
you fail to understand that was done as a promotional project and is not a "GTR." such a car was featured many months ago on the cover of Super Street, i believe. a white one. and it is not a GTR. it is a modified G35 with badges. that is all that it is. such a car does not reflect the direction, platform, or design of the actual GTR to come.

my insight into the matter has nothing to do with being a "purist." it is a fact. one cannot transform a G35 into a GTR because the V35 platform will not be used to create the 2007 GTR. putting a TT kit and GTR badges onto a V35 platformed vehicle is fun for exhibition purposes to garner attention at car shows and what not, but is not whatsoever structurally, mechanically, physically, aesthetically, a GTR in any way, shape, or form. such an act is even more bogus than putting Sylvia badges on a USDM S13 or S14, as at least the JDM Sylvia (180SX), and UDSM S13 or S14 (240SX) share the same chassis and platform. the V35 and the 2007 GTR share nothing, as they cannot anyway, as the GTR is not even available yet. and when it is, will not resemble the V35 nor be based upon it.

Last edited by bonzelite; 04-18-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:22 PM

It rightfully belongs under the Nissan name I really don't care if people aren't up to speed about that wonderful automobile. People have heard about the Skyline but only the people really into the car know anything in depth.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:12 PM
GTR Senior Member

my post from Aug 3, 2005

Originally Posted by bonzelite
sure. i think that is why they intended to badge it as Infinity in the first place.
the purist heart in me wants it to be Nissan GT-R. not Infinity.

it is just that "Nissan GT-R" has a long-established, prior racing pedigree and identity, and has even been in print as such for years. during the Group A era, the GT-R was often referred to only as the "Nissan GT-R," with the Skyline name not even being printed.

it is somewhat sad that most would-be consumers of the upcoming GT-R will not even care, or even have the faintest clue, about the racing heritage and lore of the GT-R. and few will have even heard of a "Skyline."

and not only is this about the consumer: a vast number of floor salespeople that currently sell the G35 have no idea that it is known everywhere else as "Skyline."

there is always the off-chance that we will all be surprised and it is called Nissan GT-R.
but i will not be holding any candle-light vigils for that one.
LOL! the "off-chance" i spoke of came true! and i didn't even need to hold a candle-light vigil! Nissan did the correct thing, by the way. they'd have been sissies otherwise. too much cult status and heritage and prestige is tied up in the Nissan GT-R moniker. it DOES matter. and i am happy to see they "get it."

the car will be crazy sick. i cannot wait!
Old 04-28-2006, 11:24 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by bonzelite
dragon, yes, good points.

the issue of pricing is actually something that has been perhaps the most mysterious of unknowns about the upcoming GT-R. most definitely, i think that the car will go for the porsche-buying crowd. i think Infiniti has no intent whatsover to make the car affordable. and that swings the pendulum way over to Infiniti.

if Nissan is really doing what i think they are, and will actually follow-through, putting their money where their mouth is, the new GT-R is going to be a supercar that will put heat on Porsche and be a Le Mans contender.

this makes me think, too, that insofar as a racing presence, Nissan will probably remain the head name, as in that context, the car is purely a racing machine.

if the GT-R debuts worldwide as Infiniti, the racing moniker may be "Nissan/ Infiniti," with the Infiniti logo present, but in the shadow of Nissan. in other words, the pit crew will have Nissan across their jumpsuits in bold letters, as now, with, maybe, the Infiniti logo smaller, somewhere below (if at all). but i am more inclined to think the Nissan name will predominate in a racing context.
i was more correct than i thought at the time:

"if Nissan is really doing what i think they are, and will actually follow-through, putting their money where their mouth is, the new GT-R is going to be a supercar that will put heat on Porsche and be a Le Mans contender.

this makes me think, too, that insofar as a racing presence, Nissan will probably remain the head name, as in that context, the car is purely a racing machine.

if the GT-R debuts worldwide as Infiniti, the racing moniker may be "Nissan/ Infiniti," with the Infiniti logo present, but in the shadow of Nissan..."

Quick Reply: Infinit or Nissan for GT-R_debate