General General forums for the GTR community.

Will the GTR go the way of the NSX, RX8, others?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 07:26 AM
GTRForums Staff

Just a side note. The Supra went for something like 14 years over three generations, same for the RX7, and the Z has been going since the 60's.

Hell, the NSX went for over 10 years on one generation. The NSX is the most comparable as it was a more expensive car competing with euro cars. Yes, it went away and sales declined, but it really needed a complete redesign in the mid/late 90s rather than simple updates and a facelift. By the time it finished up, it was antiquated and expensive at over 90k. As long as they keep it competitive and current, it should do fine. This is also barring any major shifts in consumer buying away from sports cars
Old 03-04-2008, 11:13 AM
GTR Senior Member

Just a side note. The Supra went for something like 14 years over three generations, same for the RX7, and the Z has been going since the 60's.
yeah, thats true, and this is the 4th generation of the GTR, sure the "skyline" existed forever before that. supposedly the sport of drifting was started in old Skylines.. it even had a LSD back in 1964

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Skyline
Old 03-04-2008, 11:17 AM
GTR Senior Member

Thumbs up good show

Originally Posted by rmatt8748
yeah, thats true, and this is the 4th generation of the GTR, sure the "skyline" existed forever before that. supposedly the sport of drifting was started in old Skylines.. it even had a LSD back in 1964

Good job, amigo I'm impressed you made mention of the Prince Skyline GT (S54).

Have we another history fan here?
Old 03-05-2008, 06:06 AM
GTRForums Staff

Originally Posted by rmatt8748

To be perfectly accurate, there were also much older GTR models as well, so this would be the 6th GTR I believe. But yeah, the car is a legacy. The question is will it go away in the US. I think this will depend more on major consumer trends and if they keep the car current than anything else
Old 03-05-2008, 10:05 AM
GTR Senior Member

yeah charles you're right, there were a few generations that i missed, i knew that the skyline existed far before that, but i didn't know that it was considered a GTR

i thought that it was called the gts or something, but not a big deal

and you make a good point, the question was how it will last in the US, and i think that it's fair to say that it's ledgendary already, and like you said how it is updated and how many are imported as well as how other car companies react will play a part in this
Old 03-09-2008, 06:21 AM
GTR Member

they have 2500 coming the 1st year and 1500 coming here in year 2 ( approximate) so it seems even Nissan is Leary after the 1st year buzz has died down
Old 03-09-2008, 07:15 AM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by shahulx
they have 2500 coming the 1st year and 1500 coming here in year 2 ( approximate) so it seems even Nissan is Leary after the 1st year buzz has died down
...I know, this is what worries me.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:25 AM
GTR Senior Member

Yes, and add the high price even at sticker for a very "niche" product, the touchy/exclusive nature of it's proprietary electronic systems, the small number of service centers, the low numbers produced, the lack of advertising of the GT-R in this country so far..... who knows what will happen.

I doubt sales will "climb" from year to year in the USA for the GT-R. Nissan has made it as exclusive as a Ferrari without the international appeal of Ferrari.

One thing is certain: you will be in rarefied air to own and drive one, having one of the most amazing supercars available. Most people will not even know what it is when you are spotted. We sometimes overlook and forget in this community how unknown the GT-R is, and will remain, to the general population of consumers.

I only hope that sales at least remain steady and normal rather than drop off like a cliff. I'm a bit concerned about long-term support and service. If sales decline a lot, the exclusive "certified GT-R" service centers may not have enough traffic to remain in existence. And then what? It would be like the mothership abandoning you.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:45 AM
GTR Member

have to reply on tuner shops...

But the supra and rx-7 did price themselves out of the market.... We'll see... I hope we get more variants
Old 03-09-2008, 11:53 AM
GTR Senior Member

have to reply on tuner shops...

But the supra and rx-7 did price themselves out of the market.... We'll see... I hope we get more variants
Yes, good point, I think tuner shops would service the GT-R but those would probably be even fewer and far-between than Nissan centers.

Most of the tuner shops that would end up doing that would probably be on the coasts only, most in California. You'd have to take your GT-R maybe out of state to have it serviced, with parts on special order from Japan as there wouldn't be any in stock.

Quick Reply: Will the GTR go the way of the NSX, RX8, others?