General General forums for the GTR community.

How to get a Skyline in America

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 12:19 AM
GTR Senior Member

i think they do crack down on other cars. skylines get the bad press because they happen to be the most talked about cars in tuning circles and on forums like this. similar consequences befall others seeking to import, for example, the S15 Silvia. this car is illegal in the US. so is the Cefiro. and any JDM Honda or Toyota or Subie. people do import other cars. but they're not as glamourous as the GT-R. and whomever is importing these cars does not have the high-profile status of MotoRex. in fact, it'd be a good idea to maybe seek out these companies and people. to broaden the possible routes one could take to import a non-compliant automobile. in fact, this reminds me, over the weekend, i went to a pre 1983 tuner show in Long Beach at the Queen Mary --man was there some awesome **** there! and i talked to a few people who import cars. i got a guy's card, too. there was a DR30 Skyline there, and i talked to the guy who orchestrated the importing of it. he said he could do the same for me. and that was just one guy. there were others. if you have the $$ and the hookup, you can have whatever you want.

about the G20. more than likely, you will get people telling you to not do it, as the USDM version will not be set up for turbo, ie, the head and pistons will not be correct. but it doesn't matter that much if you want to tear down and rebuild. and if you are willing to configure a FWD setup to RWD. i mean, it can be done. and has been done. and is not illegal. there are SR20s here legally, all around us for years, under the hoods of Infinitis, and i think some models of Nissan Sentras. it's a matter of getting one. you could have one pulled from a junkyard next week if you wanted it.

if you do it, i'd love to see what you come up with.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:47 AM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by bonzelite
i think they do crack down on other cars. skylines get the bad press because they happen to be the most talked about cars in tuning circles and on forums like this. similar consequences befall others seeking to import, for example, the S15 Silvia. this car is illegal in the US. so is the Cefiro. and any JDM Honda or Toyota or Subie. people do import other cars. but they're not as glamourous as the GT-R. and whomever is importing these cars does not have the high-profile status of MotoRex. in fact, it'd be a good idea to maybe seek out these companies and people. to broaden the possible routes one could take to import a non-compliant automobile. in fact, this reminds me, over the weekend, i went to a pre 1983 tuner show in Long Beach at the Queen Mary --man was there some awesome **** there! and i talked to a few people who import cars. i got a guy's card, too. there was a DR30 Skyline there, and i talked to the guy who orchestrated the importing of it. he said he could do the same for me. and that was just one guy. there were others. if you have the $$ and the hookup, you can have whatever you want.

about the G20. more than likely, you will get people telling you to not do it, as the USDM version will not be set up for turbo, ie, the head and pistons will not be correct. but it doesn't matter that much if you want to tear down and rebuild. and if you are willing to configure a FWD setup to RWD. i mean, it can be done. and has been done. and is not illegal. there are SR20s here legally, all around us for years, under the hoods of Infinitis, and i think some models of Nissan Sentras. it's a matter of getting one. you could have one pulled from a junkyard next week if you wanted it.

if you do it, i'd love to see what you come up with.
Checked on the G20 and it would be street legal but the whole swap would not be easy to do the block, head and just about everything about the motor is different. Alot of mods would be needed.

And about the skyline you say at the pre 1983 show depending on what year it was it could have been here legealy. The US has a 20 or 25 year rule any car in that time frame can be brought into the country with out any moddifications needed.

Canada's is 15 years that's why they have R-32's there now.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:48 AM
GTR Senior Member

yeah, i figured it'd be a challenging swap. but it'd be legal, if you really wanted to stick by that.

it's just a matter of short time before the old R32 turns 20. hard to believe that. i feel old as hel! now.

until then, i can enjoy my die cast models of it!
Old 10-10-2005, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by bonzelite
IF it is based upon the V-chassis, it will probably be called V35 GT-R. but it probably will NOT be referred to by it's chassis code if it is an Infiniti.

so all of the millions of articles that refer to it as "V 35 GT-R," and the earlier "R 35," are sort of barking up the wrong tree --the demographic who will buy the GT-R will not care ONE BIT about it's chassis code --already, stateside, Infiniti "incorrectly" calls the Skyline a "G35." the only technical reference in that designation is the "35" part --3.5L. the "G" is bogus. so ALREADY, they have begun to "hide" the car's technical traits from consumers.

for example, if you say "i have an S14," most people who will be able to buy the new GTR will have NO IDEA what you are talking about. even the same here: you say "i have a V35 GT 350," and MOST people who will be able to buy the new GTR will have no idea what that is. so i doubt Infiniti will call the GT-R by it's proper chassis code. why? -nobody will care.
I don't think this statement quite works out.

It's the hard core 'car guys' and the service departments that refer to cars by the chassis designation, not the non-car-guy general public. You will never walk into a dealership and have the salesguy refer to the Acura RSX by it's chassis designation of DC5. Nor will you ever have a Mitsubishi sales guy regail you on the highlights of the 2005 CT9A.

So what I am saying is that the official name rarely holds any technical info. And there is nothing wrong with that. The official name is just a snappy marketing exercise meant to get into and stick in your head. Thats how you get the general masses to remember your car over the other 120 vehicles sold in this country.

But us car guys will always refer to our cars by their chassis designation because that name actually means something. So whatever nomenclature is chosen to denote the chassis of the new GTR, that will be the designation we (car guys) use to identify the car.

R
Old 10-10-2005, 10:29 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by Secret Chimp
I don't think this statement quite works out.

It's the hard core 'car guys' and the service departments that refer to cars by the chassis designation, not the non-car-guy general public. You will never walk into a dealership and have the salesguy refer to the Acura RSX by it's chassis designation of DC5. Nor will you ever have a Mitsubishi sales guy regail you on the highlights of the 2005 CT9A.

So what I am saying is that the official name rarely holds any technical info. And there is nothing wrong with that. The official name is just a snappy marketing exercise meant to get into and stick in your head. Thats how you get the general masses to remember your car over the other 120 vehicles sold in this country.

But us car guys will always refer to our cars by their chassis designation because that name actually means something. So whatever nomenclature is chosen to denote the chassis of the new GTR, that will be the designation we (car guys) use to identify the car.

R
mmkay, you only restated and reinforced what i said.

how you got the opposite is beyond me --you seem to want to disagree with me for the sake of disagreement, only to summarize my post in agreement!

the hard core tuners, "us car guys," use chassis talk. not the cadillac, infinity, lexus, baby-boomer crowd. they don't care. the sales people don't even usually know the chassis code jargon either.

did you not get enough sleep lately?
Old 11-28-2005, 06:11 PM
GTR Member

bad news???

Check out this forum from RB motoring and see what you think, it's an update on the NHTSA..... http://www.rbmotoring.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39
Old 11-28-2005, 08:28 PM
GTR Senior Member

partial "greenlight" on older GTRS?

Originally Posted by shadz
Check out this forum from RB motoring and see what you think, it's an update on the NHTSA..... http://www.rbmotoring.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39
so only the R33GTR and GTS will be eligible for importation? why? so R32s and R34s are not? this seems very random and nonsensical.

???
Old 12-01-2005, 11:18 PM

no, it's GTS and GTR models, post 1996, which means the tail end of R33 and the R34

how convienient that post 1996 cars don't conform due to the OBD-II spec regs.

fun.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:27 AM

That i s damn BAD I want a Skyline R34 GTR here in US.
If I can't take one I'll have to import one to Bulgaria Just to have fun during the holidays. Do someone knows the price of a r34 in japan and how mutch it will be to be shipped aproximately
I have no Idea about any shipping prices. I'll be glad if someone give me a clue. Thanx in advance

Last edited by lightwizard; 12-02-2005 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:38 AM
GTR Senior Member

Shipping for a car from Japan is anywhere from 3000-5000 grand.

Quick Reply: How to get a Skyline in America