General General forums for the GTR community.

Anyone seriously planning on buying the GT-R in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 10:56 AM
GTR Senior Member

and really the main reason for the GT3 in USDM is for homologation regulations.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:34 AM

i will buy if the final specs meet my expectations and requirements...a big concern at this point are the transmission options...i will NOT buy if a traditional manual is not available...this is my driving preference...also i plan on tuning and do not think a DSG type transmission will be capable of holding up to the abuse...for example, look at the E63 AMG and the previous iteration E55 AMG...the torque had to be decreased substantially from the E55 to the E63 for the new transmission to be able to cope...as i plan to heavily modify i do not want to deal with a big weak link like that...i wonder what Mercedes will do to be able to handle the power of the upcoming E63TT!
Old 09-25-2006, 06:07 AM

Anyone seriously planning on buying the GT-R in the US?

This car is definitely on my 'watch' list. However, for me to strongly consider it, it's got to meet certain expectations. #1, a 2+2 is a must. #2 it needs to be competitive with the new Z06. Anything less will be a disappointment in my eyes.

As for the tranny issue, I think opposite of member 786. I totally understand about a manual gearbox being more likely to handle more tuning aftermarket power. My previous car being a '97 Supra Single Turbo was a huge example of this. The stock tranny would handle just about anything you threw at it. However, my current car has SMG and it has changed how I love to drive a car. SMG or DSG makes driving more fun, more spirited, faster, and easier in stop and go traffic. This of course is just my opinion. And let's face it, if Nissan builds a 911 turbo or Z06 beater, how much more power would you need

Ryan
Old 10-01-2006, 11:33 AM
GTR Member

Agreed.... This is my 1st choice in that price range.... but you have choices...

at $70k.....

you can get a Z06 vette, a used 996 turbo, a used Viper SRT10,
Old 10-01-2006, 11:36 AM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by rjhoskins
This car is definitely on my 'watch' list. And let's face it, if Nissan builds a 911 turbo or Z06 beater, how much more power would you need
Nissan is building this kind of car.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:01 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by bonzelite
i will maintain steadfastly that the GTR will be homologated, if not initially for the USDM, indeed for the JDM, as the immediate sale availablitly of the GTR following the 2007 TMS is, for all purposes --in my belief based upon prior history and practice-- the immediate first group of homologated GTRs ever to set tires to pavement.

....the Skyline GTR is a race car first and foremost, and a street car second. conversely, the Ferrari 308 GTB and GTS (for example) was never homologated to be a competition car, beginning it's design concept and form as a high-performance race-inspired street car only --the direct opposite of Nissan's GTR program. to the best of my knowledge, no homologated 308GTB or S was ever made in large numbers or in any numbers at all for public sale.

http://www.americanlemans.com/home/ALMSHome.aspx
Good information. However I don't think it is convincing that Nissan is going to put forth a concerted racing effort and homologate the GTR in the USA. If it were the case I think we would have heard about it already.

To see the GTR run against the Vipers, C6-R, Astons, etc... would be exciting, however that takes a lot of factory effort. I don't think we will see that any time soon. Perhaps after Nissan gets the GTR sorted out in Japanese racing circles.

-AL
Old 10-02-2006, 04:04 PM
GTR Member

Nissan is building this kind of car.
So what is your prediction for weight and power that would support that assertion?

Curious to see how close you will be?

-AL
Old 10-02-2006, 07:01 PM
GTR Senior Member

educated guesses

Originally Posted by HellBent
So what is your prediction for weight and power that would support that assertion?

Curious to see how close you will be?

-AL
weight will probably be similar or less than the 350Z. it will at least be in the ballpark. GTR will lose much weight from it's R-series predecessors, having been called a "pig" and often losing to the C6-R on the track due to weight.

power will probably be similar to Porsche GT3.

performance will probably be sub 7:40 on Nurburgring (on par with Corvette C6, Porsche GT3, Pagani Zonda). HP is unknown. probably beyond 400, perhaps even beyond 450HP. it's power:weight will be highly improved, mind you, so the horsepower will go a longer way in making it quicker. expect a Z-Tune type of performance out of this car in stock form. i maintain that they created that car as a foreshadowing to the industry.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:32 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by HellBent
Good information. However I don't think it is convincing that Nissan is going to put forth a concerted racing effort and homologate the GTR in the USA. If it were the case I think we would have heard about it already.

To see the GTR run against the Vipers, C6-R, Astons, etc... would be exciting, however that takes a lot of factory effort. I don't think we will see that any time soon. Perhaps after Nissan gets the GTR sorted out in Japanese racing circles.

-AL
more than likely, UDSM homologation will occur later. indeed, it will be homologated for JGTC. the thing is this, though: being that JGTC has come to the USDM, to compete on American soil, the GTR must be homologated for American sanctioning regulations.

certainly, sponsors can opt to not race the GTR in the JGTC American rounds, using the R34GTR and Z33s as is standard practice. it would seem a huge letdown, however, to keep the iconographic GTR from being raced here.

i am not fully in-the-know about race team structuring and interrelationships with sponsors, but, for example, if Calsonic wanted to run a car in JGTC --and had to run the entire season-- it would require at least one appearance in JGTC held in the UDSM annually. yet were the GTR not homologated, this team would be discouraged from entering the JGTC? or would they simply continue on with the older cars, despite the likelihood that they'd want a huge "Calsonic" decaled on the side of the new GTR? or would they go with a competiing manufacturer's car, like a new Supra that is homologated?

as well, would Nismo not want to penetrate deeper into the USDM by having their GTR culture influencing American tastes and leanings? --to show the USDM (at least those large numbers of people still yet unaware of what Nismo or a GTR is --there are more than you think) that Nissan is a legit competitior on and off the track? the GTR is the torch-bearer for this message. to me, to not involve the GTR in American racing venues is falling short of the GTR launching internationally.

but we have yet to see what will pan out, i know
Old 10-03-2006, 03:35 PM
GTR Member

weight will probably be similar or less than the 350Z. it will at least be in the ballpark. GTR will lose much weight from it's R-series predecessors, having been called a "pig" and often losing to the C6-R on the track due to weight...
I believe this is the crux of the problem. The 350Z track modle weighs 3400 lb where as the C6 ZO6 and GT3 weigh 3100 lb. I think there is no way that the GTR will weigh less than the 350Z.

If indeed the GTR is based on the FM platform (and all indications are that it is) it can't escape the weight associated with the basic FM unibody structure. That is unless they take a radiacl route like the C6 ZO6 and make it out of aluminum.

The toughest part of the equation for Nissan to solve is the added material, features, and content and still save weight. To a basic 350Z they would need to stretch the wheel base, add a rear seat and belts, add turbos, intercoolers, piping, bigger brakes, bigger wheels, a front differential, transfer case, front prop and axel shafts. Not to mention more oil and coolant, other fluid coolers, etc..

It is easy to theorize that they will use lightweight materials, however as with the C6 ZO6 the weight savings isn't that much. Hi-tech lightweight materials cost more too! For Nissan to make the car in Japan (where labor costs are high), and then shipl it world wide for a similar cost to the C6 ZO6, something will have to give. Either the price will be much higher or the performance and content will be lower. No way around it.

my 2 cents,

-AL

Quick Reply: Anyone seriously planning on buying the GT-R in the US?