Show & Shine Detailing, interior and exterior enhancements.

gone from an R32 to an R33 gtr

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 02:11 PM
GTR Member

i guess the auto related deaths in america are pretty high, and eliminating street racing is one way of attempting to lower that. i guess emmisions is a problem, but that can be converted, albeit at a cost, but i'd pay almost anything to get me a GT-R over here. i dont know this is my 2 cents...i heard from my friend when he went to germany for an exchange program in college that if you are caught DUI then you get your license suspended for 21 years or something. and tickets are supposed to be really expensive over there. i guess that's the catch for no speed limit autobahns.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:05 PM
GTR Senior Member

what was the topic? i thought it was importation of GTRs

uuhmmm. american road conditions tend to be --conservative? prone to street racing? a combination of revenue-raising local governments, tax-collecting feds on imports, the EPA, the DOT --all want money. it really comes to $$$. as well, the "crash saftey" standards are supposedly becoming ever more stringent. and in general, the JDM GTR never remotely lived up to any USDM certification standards.

but there was a time when you could legalize them yourself. but that was so cost prohibitive that it was nearly impossible. so MotoRex stepped in to revolutionize this idea. but they got greedy and only crash-tested the R33 GTR. so that is why you can import one --put together as a complete car.

needless to say, the claim that MotoRex made that it had tested ALL GTRs was fraudulent. they were then pocketing hundreds of thousands of dollars to "certify" uncertifiable cars. but the customers had no idea. so if you bought an R32GTR through them, you were not getting a car any more legal than had you black-marketed it yourself.

to make a long story short, the feds caught on to this and the owner of MotoRex now sits in jail; however the DOT allows all GTRs that "made it" as "certified," prior to the demise of MotoRex, to remain "legalized." so the lucky and rare few who have them are in a very small minority. and on occasion, a US-legal GTR goes for sale on ebay or in the auto traders.

i've left out a lot of details, no doubt, and skipped around. but that is the basic reason. so now, in a punishment sort of response to the entire fraud scheme of MotoRex --lo and behold-- for the most part-- all GTRs are pretty much banned. there is a literal 100% ban on the R34? why? it was never crash-tested or made to comply; it's the most sought after GTR and the rarest of the R-series (gulp, i think) R32 is banned from being imported, too --except for a "rolling chassis." why? it never complied, never was tested (as in the case of the R34), and is highly sought after as well. and is the "cheapest" of the big 3. so it's banned.

the R33 was crash-tested. but good luck on getting it US-legal. that must now be done by the individual. and it costs tens of thousands of dollars. and there is still no guarantee it can be done.

if anyone else has knowledge of this entire nightmare, please post. i know i don't know the whole picture. my picture is what i pieced together from tuner gossip (very 1st source gossip, mind you. there are things i am not going to reveal), and online chats.

bottom line: MONEY TALKS. if you want a GTR --you can get one no matter what, but you must have CASH. and it must be shown in front of people.

that is where i will stop.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:43 PM
GTR Member

That paint is looking nice. I count it as an upgrade.
________
NO2 VAPORIZER

Last edited by nissan34; 03-04-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:48 AM

verrrrrrrrry niice