Show & Shine Detailing, interior and exterior enhancements.

gone from an R32 to an R33 gtr

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 06:47 PM
GTR Senior Member

from the very beginning, you must have all paperwork match. and the car must be imported as a project. not salvage. but project. and it must be dismantled to a rolling chassis only. this is vital or you will have to send the car back after a short time.

trust me.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:48 PM
GTR Senior Member

and even at that, the car will not be road-legal. at least it probably will not be able to be legalized in any event. so don't even go there. buy a pickup truck and trailer when you buy the skyline. because that is the only way it will get around town.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:34 PM
GTR Member

oh thanks. damn that is GAY. i dont think i will buy that anytime soon...maybe when skylines, or certain skylines, are made road legal. thanks a bunch man!
Old 07-12-2006, 01:08 AM
GTR Senior Member

in 25 years from date of manufacture, car is exempt. in 10 years, the oldest R32s will be exempt. so there is hope.

you can import an R30 without any problem with the DOT or EPA. i've seen it done.

my case: i had car dismantled to rolling chassis. and i had the rest of the car imported, too, as parts. but there is a catch to this. but....

the rest i will not disclose to protect others.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:07 PM
GTRForums Guru

Originally Posted by bonzelite
from the very beginning, you must have all paperwork match. and the car must be imported as a project. not salvage. but project. and it must be dismantled to a rolling chassis only. this is vital or you will have to send the car back after a short time.

trust me.
So, you have to ship it back out of the coutry after the first year, right? Its been a while since I read up on the stuff.

Is there any way you can keep in country as a race only vehical?

I was planning on bring back the V8 GTR.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:23 PM
GTR Senior Member

unless you import it as a "project vehicle, " as in a kit car, on a rolling chassis only, any other way requires you are only on temporary status with the vehicle. example would be sponsor or billboard car for a race team or manufacturer of aft-market parts.

must be a "project." and it must be dismantled to the rolling chassis. you can keep the harnesses intact. but all drivetrain, interior, and running gear must be removed. only wheels are allowed on chassis so it can be rolled. and the wheels must not be OEM wheels for the car, either. you can keep the front and rear glass in the car.

you must dismantle your car to import to USA. and you cannot legally have the parts imported as the same shipment. because technically that is the "whole car" under the law. your parts must be taken on another day, on another container, by another means. and best to be imported by a different company to be safe.

that is the basic idea. i'm not a lawyer, so only take what i say as 2nd hand news. but that is the path i followed and obeyed. and i have the car. yes, it is a pain in the ***. and you cannot get it legalized to drive on public roads unless you find a state in the union that allows for kit car, non VIN# vehicles. and that is very dodgy because then you run risk of revealing what you have and how you came about getting it. so best keep it track-only.

that is the best we can do at this point.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:27 PM
GTR Senior Member

in brief, you can have an R32 if you have it dismantled to rolling chassis. but all parts cannot be shipped with it. and it pretty much has no chance of being DOT legal.

you can keep the R33 intact for shipping, but it cannot be "legalized" for DOT certification.

you cannot import an R34 under any condtions. it is totally banned.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:50 PM
GTRForums Guru

Originally Posted by bonzelite
unless you import it as a "project vehicle, " as in a kit car, on a rolling chassis only, any other way requires you are only on temporary status with the vehicle. example would be sponsor or billboard car for a race team or manufacturer of aft-market parts.

that is the best we can do at this point.
So, If I import it as a rolling shell, build it in the states, I can keep it as long as I want for a track car.

Not a pain at all. With the V8 conversion done, I should be able to put it all back together in a day

Thanks,
Tony
Old 07-12-2006, 09:34 PM
GTR Senior Member

just work it out with your importer. they will know more than i the specifics of shipping and how to do it correctly.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:52 PM

Wow, this really has got off topic .

Anyway, I'll just keep this ball rolling - WHAT EXACTLY is it about the GT-R that the US government despise so much to outlaw it (completely in the case of the R34)?????????? Boo-Hiss to your government.

You say that we're a lucky bunch over here, but I beg to differ - our gas costs about 500% more than yours, you get awesome cars like the GMC Syclone, Cars are cheaper, even from new, and you don't have to pay a tax every year, just to own your own vehicle!!! (or television for that matter)

GT-R's appear not to be outlawed in Canada, is there a loophole you could exploit, there??

Steve

Quick Reply: gone from an R32 to an R33 gtr