R32 | R33 | R34 Talk about R32, R33, & R34 topics in here.

R33 GTR Bad Idle, No Power!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:54 PM

Exclamation R33 GTR Bad Idle, No Power!!!

I'm stationed out in Japan and of course I bought a 96 R33 GT-R.

I've had it since about December and at first everything was fine with the car. It has an FC Commander and an HKS Bosst controller and some small piping work done for better air flow and a High Flow Cat...

Recently, well I should say in the last few months it's been giving me issues. At first I would start it up and after a couple minutes to an hour it wouldn't take any gas pedal imput unless I constantly tapped the gas until it reved over 3000RPM. Then would usually settle itself out, but not always. If I wasn't moving and it started and I didn't try to give it gas (just so I could see what it would do) the rpms would occasionally dip down to about 200RPM, yes 200RPM and occasionally would just setlle itself out and be fine or would just shut off. At first it would happen for only a short while, about 1-2 minutes. But now it happens more frequently and for longer periods of time and there's nothing I can do about it. If I try to florr the pedal, it does nothing and it makes this really weird sound like its trying or going to blow up. I did it once for a couple second just to see and the check engine light came on (so that scared me) and I let off and just shut it off.

I have a friend that has a 95 R32 GTS and he had a similar issue and had to change out his Throttle Position Sensor. I also have another friend from back in the states that has a Jeep and had a similar issue and just cleaned his sensor and said that it seemed to fix the problem. My only issue is I have no idea where the TPS is on my car and after trying to google it, I still can't find it (still looking as I write this).

The only other thing I could think of it that the gas on base sucks and theres only one kind and I some how ****ed up the injector or filter. Any help on this would be great. I'm def not car illiterate but the engine is not my strong suit...

Thx in advance.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:37 AM

Have you logged any of this? Try changing out your Fuel Filter and make sure all of your injectors are working properly.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:54 PM

Well I thought about just changing the injectors already and going from the 444cc to the 600cc just for ****s and giggles cuz im going to do some work before I leave japan and take it back with me. I know that Injectors are some what easy to swap out, but are they easy to get to?
Old 06-20-2012, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by GTRCazzy
Well I thought about just changing the injectors already and going from the 444cc to the 600cc just for ****s and giggles cuz im going to do some work before I leave japan and take it back with me. I know that Injectors are some what easy to swap out, but are they easy to get to?
Well when it comes to trouble shooting yes,...if you are going to do it anyway...the problem you are describing sounds a lot like a fueling issue to me

Good luck with getting your car to the states!!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:52 PM

Nick or anyone else that reads this. You have a preference on Injectors (brand) I saw NISMO injectors that looked pretty good but also Injector Dynamics have some that cost a lil more and seem pretty decent too
Old 06-26-2012, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by GTRCazzy
Nick or anyone else that reads this. You have a preference on Injectors (brand) I saw NISMO injectors that looked pretty good but also Injector Dynamics have some that cost a lil more and seem pretty decent too
I have used and seen great results with Injector Dynamics personally....I have also found you get what you pay for in the car modding game.