R32 | R33 | R34 Talk about R32, R33, & R34 topics in here.

anywhere to buy a 92 r-32 in the US or Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 08:19 PM

yea, i can get one imported to canada and just bring it back here, not registering it, then work on it, get new parts for it, etc. or i can get it disasembled by the importer, but i wouldnt be able to put it back together. but if i did, then register it as a kit car.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:18 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by VERTICALSLIK
yea, i can get one imported to canada and just bring it back here, not registering it, then work on it, get new parts for it, etc. or i can get it disasembled by the importer, but i wouldnt be able to put it back together. but if i did, then register it as a kit car.
Doing it that way is still illegal because a kit car can't be a manufactured vehicle which a skyline is. You would still have to register it. You maybe able to get away with it if you keep it off the streets though.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/kitcar.htm
Old 10-13-2005, 12:21 AM

really? i didnt know that, well i could just wait till the 25 year mark is up, i guess
Old 10-13-2005, 12:27 AM
GTR Senior Member

i learned some more things tonight:

if you're in cali, you must have both a registered importer bring it in, as well as a "broker." and the only companies that are one and the same here (in socal) are, yes, you guessed it ------>MotoRex and RBMotoring.

if you are in any other state, you can have ANY importer bring it in to say, florida, and you can have the car brought in and carried off on a flatbed. but you cannot legalize it. to transport it to california, i have no idea how you will get it across the border. being that they really only check you here for agriculture, they may just waive you in. they probably won't care what the car is. they may not even be looking for such a thing. this way, you can keep the car assembled.

or, at port of los angeles, you can have the car pre-stripped to the skeleton, without motor or anything, and you can have that shell allowed in, no matter where you are. even in california. the car is inoperable this way, considered salvage junk.

you can then, as i've said before, ship the other pieces over later, then reassemble the car here in your garage, or someone who will do it for you. you can then flatbed the car to local dragways or tracks, under a non-sanctioned event (like a night where you just pay twenty bucks and take drag or auto-x runs --cars are flatbedded to tracks this way all of the time). and you can run the car this way. but you must trailer it in order to get it anywhere.

in light of the current embargo to the united states of all 15yr old or newer skylines, this may be the only way to avert paying huge sums of money and getting your pick of the car before it ages even more, becoming more scarce or beat up. but the compromise is that you cannot drive it on public roads whatsoever. you CAN, though, once you have your "prize," wait for TEN more years! then, at this time, you can drive it anywhere. as the 25 year rule will be in your favor.

or you can buy an old R30 skyline and import that one without any hindrance. all you pay for is the actual car and shipping costs. that's it.

there's ways to do things. it is a matter of what way you want. and what way you can handle.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:44 AM
GTR Senior Member

something to consider. this may not be anything, but i bought my S14 in Albany, NY as a salvage titled vehicle. i posted a thing on one of the threads here once about my experience at the DMV here in Van Nuys, CA (adjacent to North Hollywood where i live). it was about the other car, the Galant VR-4.

now, both cars had "issues" that i thought i'd get in trouble for, and did not. the S14 was ugly, had incorrect "equipment." it had missing blinkers in the front. the front clip was slapped on, with the bumper fascia flapping in the wind. it looked like hell (not anymore, mind you, i had her fixed to A-1 shape). it had a rear impact that crumpled the trunk in a little bit. the car had wires hangning out the front from the missing blinkers. one the tail lights was smashed out. had no front plate. i was nearly convinced they'd stop me at the border, and they did not. i just got waived on through. and the car stood out like a sore thumb. it had mismatched primerd panels everywhere. missing fender liners. etc.

the VR-4 was completely illegal to drive. it had no cat, a gigantic and LOUD exhaust. all pollution control was removed --ALL. the engine bay is stripped down to the basic parts. and many of those parts were obviously for racing. and they popped the hood. and i was convinced i was "had." nope --all they checked was that the VIN#s matched on the dash, on the door jamb, and on the EPA sticker under the hood, and on the title. that's it. they just wanted to see NUMBERS MATCHING. they didn't give one damn about anything else.

however, a skyline is not a plain jane sleeper GVR-4 with 4 doors. and in some ways, my then-beat up S14 --maybe because it looked like hell, it was "ok"? ? or it was unassuming? it had lots of black primered parts in the front. it looked sort of generic, like it could be anything but nothing.

i expected the authorities to come down on me like a hammer. and they did not.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:58 AM
GTR Senior Member

choices

Originally Posted by VERTICALSLIK
really? i didnt know that, well i could just wait till the 25 year mark is up, i guess
yes. but if you wait until then, the pick of good cars will be ten years delayed. you can get one now, get it over here, and at least you have it. you'd have to really be in it for the long haul, though. always that car will be anchoring your movement unless you are already settled down with a home and garage and property and career and investments. if you're a kid, you will do a lot of changing between now and the time your 30, and come up short on cash and resources with greater probability (unless you're rich. then if that is the case, buying from MotoRex is not an issue).
Old 10-13-2005, 10:30 AM

man, sooo much info, well i want to get the car as soon as possible, i would probobly get it imported to canada, go there to pick it up, and try and bring it to cali, and then wait 10 years, or move to canada... but that would be alot just for a car, but im willing. maybe when i move out i can just go straight to canada
Old 10-13-2005, 10:06 PM
GTR Senior Member

i found out more stuff today.

if you get a car thru canada to the USA, you can never legalize it really. you must first ship it back to japan, to it's broker of origin, and have that broker do paperwork. otherwise, in cali, forget it.

in short, unless you go through RB or MotoRx, you cannot legalize a car in california. period. end of story.

but you can in other states. and the car must enter port of entry from a japanese or australian broker as point of origin. without proof of that, you cannot register or legalize it.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:05 AM

man california sux lol, geeze, im gonna have to move. i was planning on moving to canada anyway.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:13 AM
GTR Senior Member

it's all about MONEY.

Quick Reply: anywhere to buy a 92 r-32 in the US or Canada?