Off-Topic Anything goes in here.

Anyone Driven an E92 M3?

Old 07-13-2008, 08:31 PM
GTR Member

Anyone Driven an E92 M3?

Hey just wondering if anyone owns or has drove the New M3, i look to pick up one after tax time next year.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Banned

i almost bought one last week. what do you want to know about the car?
Old 07-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Banned

well ill give you a general run down...

The car is a dream. Idk if you have driven any of the other gen. M3's, but this one is... more elegant, and faster at the same time.

its as if they built the car for the buisness man who loves to go to the track.

everything in the Car, from the oversized steering wheel (for added feel of the road) to the world class DCT system with the worlds most advanced V8 have been built for perfect response and control. I drove both the M3 manual, and Auto, so ill give you a comparison.

ill stat with... The Auto is Faster. the shift time is incredible, almost as if all you have to do is think "shift" and it happens. ive never been in a car where you feel more connected to the road and the car itself with an auto tranny. My mental clock did 0-60 in 4.2-3.

The Manual tranny is what it is. Fun. you would be hard pressed to find a car that is more fun in manual than an 'm' series BMW. Its slower (if you can call .1 second, slower) but you dont feel slower unless you race to 1/4 mile, then its something like .5 seconds slower.
Its more for the kid racer, less for the buisness man.

There are great luxury items within the car itself that make it appealing as well. The 'i-drive' system is a big one... and i happen to like it, even though it takes some effort to thoroughly memorize.

But my Favorite is the 'M' button. It creates more HP and Torque to the wheels and brings the car into a race car like state. Its amazing, it really does feel like a completely different car. tightens the suspension, changes the gears, makes the whole car feel like, well, a rocket.

The Car's big hit though... is its 50/50 weight distrubution. Alot of which comes from extensive use of Carbon fiber, like the whole roof for instance. It makes this car one hell of a track car for drifting, power sliding, and cornering.

Now im not sure what exactly your looking for in a car, if its speed, track ability or luxury.
The bmw 'M' series is a great place to find all three of these.... BUT if your just in it for speed, get an M6. If your in it for luxury get an M5. But if your in it for both, AND a toy that begs to be driven on a track, you'll need the M3.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:47 PM
GTR Member

Thanks man, ive been waitin so long of someone that knows first hand about the car to reply to this. Basicly the way it sound the car hits the right spot. Its gonna be a weekend and long trip car if i get one, so really im lookin at Speed, Track, and Luxury. I do abit of drifting just to burn sometires and im not talkin about just doing donuts im talkin about do a course and staying sideways as much as i can. The right kind of drifting not the ricer type.

By the way Thanks again. Im having a hard time deciding between a GT500, M3, or GTR. Ive got a big garage that needs to be filled up . It would probably hold a good 30 cars or more, but ill probably just fill the little side up with maybe 8 cars and keep'm for years and drive them very little. The GTR and GT500 are two car that will be in there. Talk has floated to the top that 40 yrs from now the GT500 will be worth 250K+, just think of what it would be if and original owner had the car and it had less the 10k miles on it.

Last edited by BoostFreak; 07-23-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Banned

well ive test driven the car 5 times, ive been on the fence about buying one for a while. and the reason i havent isnt because its not an amazing car, but because i just dont have the funding id want to with the market being how it is. The upgrade aftermarket products provided by 'M' will cost you an arm and a leg to stay under warrantee though... ohh and dont expect to burn up your tires to bad in this car. Its takes effort to burn through em with the car being so balanced.

feel free to ask me anything ud like about it.

as for the choices you have presented (GT500, M3, GTR)...

GT500 if you cant live without smokin burnouts, a big american V8, and have little intention of turning

GTR if you cant live without being at the track twice a week, and have very little intention of driving this daily

M3 if you want the best of both worlds, BMW luxury with 'M' performance with very little intentions of doing serious burnouts
Old 07-24-2008, 01:30 PM
spt
GTR Senior Member

I have : http://forums.gtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=1248
Old 07-26-2008, 06:11 PM
GTR Senior Member

there are also some really good video reviews of the e92 m3 as well

i have not driven one, normally i'd say that it's pretty heavy, but then look at the GTR