New Members & FAQ's New to the site? Look in here.

Deposit on 08 GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 09:26 PM
GTR Member

Too many Google millionaires around here. I think they'll sell near that price. For a year at least,
Old 11-20-2007, 09:30 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by darstar007
Too many Google millionaires around here.
The more you have, the less you want to spend. No one wants to be taken advantage of. Everyone wants a deal. I doubt that there are that many people willing to pay an almost 100% mark-up on a Nissan. (regardless of how amazing it is!)

Besides, the Google millionaires don't want to end up like the AOL millionaires!
Old 11-20-2007, 10:07 PM
GTR Member

And the less you have the more you want

Seriously though, the car is comparable in specs to a $100K + vehicle and it will be fairly rare so I think a hefty markup is realistic to expect. What would be the argument otherwise?
Old 11-21-2007, 02:29 AM
GTR Member

And the less you have the more you want
Fair enough.

Seriously though, the car is comparable in specs to a $100K + vehicle and it will be fairly rare so I think a hefty markup is realistic to expect. What would be the argument otherwise?
Any car you put a plate on is a depreciating asset. It might be a good buy or a good value, but if it costs a dollar today, it'll be worth less than a dollar tomorrow. (And there's VERY VERY VERY few exceptions to that rule -- After I wrap up my Scuderia deal, I'll share some stories of the insanity going on around in that space...)

Yes, the GTR is a "bargain" at $70-ish thousand. It may even be a "bargain" at $100-ish thousand. But the fact remains that anything you pay OVER the MSRP is just money that you will lose on your purchase.

Will people be paying over in the early days to get one now, be the first, get it before the other guy, etc.? Yes. Absolutely. Will some brain-donor pay 2x-MSRP to get one? Might have 1 or 2 guys at that price. Will the hype machine be in full gear telling the world that the GTR is going for ridiculous money over list? Yep. Will some reporter from the 6:00pm news be talking about how great it is to be a Nissan dealer come mid-June because the cars are so amazing and the demand is so high? You better believe it

Just don't "drink the kool-aid"...

Every single car I've got a dealer somewhere has tried to get me to pay over list. Every single one. But believe me, it hasn't happened yet. When I bought my RS4 it was the worst!

I got back from the test drive. New dealer. Never done business with them before:

Dealer: I've got 2 other guys looking to pick this car up today. I need you to work with me on the price.

Me: Really? 2 other buyers?

Dealer: We're charging a $5,000 market adjustment on this car. We've only got about 6 of them to sell and have deposits from more than 20 customers.

Me: Wow, that's great. You should do one of those other deals.

Dealer: Pardon?

Me: Yeah, seriously. If you have someone willing to go out of pocket so you can make an extra nickel, you should call one of them. I'm not that guy.

Dealer: What?

Me: Yeah, it's an amazing car, but I'm not the type to go over a list price for a car. Thanks for the drive and if you get another that's available let me know.

{This went on and on and on for about 3 days by phone and email... Finally:

Dealer: Yeah, well, umm... if you want that car we've still got it and I talked to my manager and we'd be happy to sell it to you for list.

Me: Now I want a discount.

I'm not saying this'll happen with the GTR on the first day of sales, but it's all hype and it's all negotiating tactics to extract as much money from the customer as possible. Everything the dealers do is all about getting as much cash from the customer as possible.

Just stand your ground, pay what you want to pay, and don't flinch. Use everything you know about negotiating. It'll make your purchase all the more enjoyable when you come out on top. The only question is WHEN you'll come out on top.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:11 AM
GTR Member

You're advice is quite sage.

My personal opinion is that the GT-R priced at $69K is a publicity stunt by Nissan designed to inflate the price of one of their vehicles to Porsche-like numbers so they can get into that high-end market. They have drastically undervalued it to create a buzz and make it seem attainable while it is anything but for ordinary working guys like myself.

In this case patience is the only recourse. You are correct, some people will want to be the first on the block to have it and will have the disposable income to do so. Eventually sanity will prevail.......I hope.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:40 PM
GTR Member

My personal opinion is that the GT-R priced at $69K is a publicity stunt by Nissan designed to inflate the price of one of their vehicles to Porsche-like numbers so they can get into that high-end market.
That's not a bad theory, actually. Drive Nissan up market a bit, force Infiniti up there, too.

Carlos is a genius and this could be an interesting strategy... but I doubt they have the additional products to put out at a high price unless Nissan starts selling re-badged Renaults!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:02 AM

Biggest Dealer

What I'd like to know is, who is the biggest Nissan Dealer in the Los Angeles area ?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:23 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by eenzo295
What I'd like to know is, who is the biggest Nissan Dealer in the Los Angeles area ?
I'd be looking for dealers OUTSIDE the LA area. Knowing what people pay for cars in this town, there won't be any deals to be had here!
Old 11-26-2007, 09:01 AM

yes that makes sense. But I am still not sure how to locate the biggest volume dealers.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:08 AM
GTR Member

The GT-R will only be available at "highly select dealers". By that definition alone, you won't be able to find the car outside of major metro areas, i.e. Nissan of South Dakota!!!

Quick Reply: Deposit on 08 GT-R