GTRForums News & Rumors Check this forum for the latest news in the GTR community and rumors about existing and future Skyline GTR models.

Nissan delays GT-R Spec V, to offer S-Tune version in the meantime?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 06:09 PM

Please excuse my ignorance but for how long is the R35 GTR (base and other upcoming models) going to be sold for in the U.S.? I'm hoping for a long stretch here lol.

I'm happy with the base model but wouldn't mind paying 'extra' for the 'extraordinary'.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:11 PM
GTR Senior Member

it cannot be known, but a gen cycle is often 4 to 5 years.

expect the Spec V to be over $100,000 MSRP, probably closer to $150,000 with dealer markups, eg, nearly Ferrari money.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:30 AM

Thanks bonzelite, so I guess this is the only generation "Skyline" we're going to get... bummer.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:26 AM
GTR Senior Member

Well nobody knows as I said. The success of this one will determine availability of the next one. So far in the USDM the GT-R isn't selling much compared to Japan and what has thus far been ordered in Europe.

The car is too weird for most Americans, I think.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:21 AM

Nissan would sell more units if these greedy dealerships would stop adding $25k or more on the cars. I went to local dealer here in Atlanta area and he was asking $109k!!! So I replied if Nissan will finance that much lets do it. He said no you have to put at least $25k down... I laughed at him and replied maybe because its not truly worth $100k plus. He asked me instantly for credit info... little did the fool know I wasn't planning on making payments.
Hey, I understand supply and demand... but if we car guys/customers refuse to pay it $25k over. Then will it drop in price and more guys who really want to drive the cars would have a chance at getting them. I have gone to 5 dealers near by and they all said we are sold out. Can't order anymore. I haven't driven one yet but was taken for a ride by a friend who has one. Its great really nice car... but something about it still screams BOYRACER? Not the same as driving a GT3 RS or T/Turbo 997, f430 or even a Aston. I still want one to my collection...but once you go into that $100 plus market there are a bunch of other toys that perform as well if not stronger and have amore history. Questions why doesn't Nissan race in ALMS? Win Sunday... buy Monday??? something like that.
Just my thoughts...CHEERS guys.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:40 AM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gripp
Nissan would sell more units if these greedy dealerships would stop adding $25k or more on the cars. I went to local dealer here in Atlanta area and he was asking $109k!!! So I replied if Nissan will finance that much lets do it. He said no you have to put at least $25k down... I laughed at him and replied maybe because its not truly worth $100k plus. He asked me instantly for credit info... little did the fool know I wasn't planning on making payments.
Hey, I understand supply and demand... but if we car guys/customers refuse to pay it $25k over. Then will it drop in price and more guys who really want to drive the cars would have a chance at getting them. I have gone to 5 dealers near by and they all said we are sold out. Can't order anymore. I haven't driven one yet but was taken for a ride by a friend who has one. Its great really nice car... but something about it still screams BOYRACER? Not the same as driving a GT3 RS or T/Turbo 997, f430 or even a Aston. I still want one to my collection...but once you go into that $100 plus market there are a bunch of other toys that perform as well if not stronger and have amore history. Questions why doesn't Nissan race in ALMS? Win Sunday... buy Monday??? something like that.
Just my thoughts...CHEERS guys.
AWD is not allowed in LeMans were Nissan to enter GT1 or GT2 or any class. I'd expect a homologated R35 (Spec V) to compete in Nur 24hrs for which it was specifically designed for.

Nissan's GT-R has plenty of history; you either appreciate it or you don't. GT-R is a cult car and always has been and still is. This is also why it is not selling in large volume. It appeals only to a narrow range of possible buyers.

Dealer markups happen in nearly every case for a limited production car; doesn't matter what make it is. Doesn't make it good, but that is the reality of the dealer network in the US.

That said, there are deals for MSRP that buyers have reported. You have to do your homework and be patient and often go out of state.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by bonzelite
AWD is not allowed in LeMans were Nissan to enter GT1 or GT2 or any class. I'd expect a homologated R35 (Spec V) to compete in Nur 24hrs for which it was specifically designed for.

Nissan's GT-R has plenty of history; you either appreciate it or you don't. GT-R is a cult car and always has been and still is. This is also why it is not selling in large volume. It appeals only to a narrow range of possible buyers.

Dealer markups happen in nearly every case for a limited production car; doesn't matter what make it is. Doesn't make it good, but that is the reality of the dealer network in the US.

That said, there are deals for MSRP that buyers have reported. You have to do your homework and be patient and often go out of state.
Good to know about ALMS... then why not the Z car??
Any leads on where for MSRP? As for cult car your right thats very true but what % of its cult can really afford one? Thats the bummer... thanks for input...if you or anyone has any leadsas to where I can put order in for MSRP drop me a line. I would really appericate it. Maybe once I get one I can report my thoughts on how well it does on the track... CHEERS
Old 10-25-2008, 10:26 AM
GTR Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Gripp
Good to know about ALMS... then why not the Z car??
Because NISMO is currently involved, and has been involved, in SuperGT and rally. That requires tremendous expenditure of resources. The tube-frame GT-R currently in SuperGT is RWD with a transaxle.

Any leads on where for MSRP?
You have to search and not let up. Many members of other forums have gotten MSRP deals.

As for cult car your right thats very true but what % of its cult can really afford one?
Your answer is in the question itself. The GT-R old and new has always been the most expensive Nissan ever offered, with the one-time rare exception of I believe the "President" (which was known as the Infiniti M in the USDM).

Thats the bummer... thanks for input...if you or anyone has any leadsas to where I can put order in for MSRP drop me a line. I would really appericate it. Maybe once I get one I can report my thoughts on how well it does on the track... CHEERS
It will be the reverse condition, probably: you will have to drop lots of lines to dealer networks across the country. It will more than likely not fall in your lap.

Many ebay cars are going for only 5k over, but you can do better if you are willing. If you're not willing to make it a mission to search, you will probably not get what you are looking for and will just continue bemoaning dealer markups. Sheep pay markups. Don't be a sheep.

but cheers, indeed
Old 10-25-2008, 10:28 AM

U rock I will keep looking..