GTRForums News & Rumors Check this forum for the latest news in the GTR community and rumors about existing and future Skyline GTR models.

Nissan to release GT-R V-Spec in December

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:19 AM
GTR Senior Member

Nissan to release GT-R V-Spec in December

From Leftlane:

Nissan's new GT-R has certainly turned the exotic and ultra high-performance car world upside down, and if today's reports are to be trusted, the Japanese automaker will do it yet again with the release of a higher-performance V-Spec variant of the big coupe.
The GT-R V-Spec will likely show up in car magazines and TV shows as it is released to the media this December, with production models coming much later, just like the current GT-R. The V-Spec is not expected to make it Stateside until 2010 at the earliest. Changes to the car will include a lower curb weight (pared by as much as 330lbs) thanks to the use of carbon fiber in body panels and supporting structure, while power will grow to at least 550 horsepower via changes to the ECU, turbo boost pressure and exhaust system. More aggressive aerodynamics, lighter, more aggressively bolstered seats and carbon ceramic brakes are also likely to be part of the GT-R V-Spec.
The changes will work together to decrease the car's Nurburgring lap time by some 18 seconds, to just 7 minutes and 25 seconds. According to Car and Driver, the car will be officially unveiled to the public at the Paris Motor Show this October.
Other sources, namely Motor Authority claim the money-losing GT-R's platform will be used in other vehicles, including an Infiniti model due out sometime next year.
In the meantime, check out spy photos of the V-Spec undergoing testing at Nurburgring.

in this section:

The changes will work together to decrease the car's Nurburgring lap time by some 18 seconds, to just 7 minutes and 25 seconds. According to Car and Driver, the car will be officially unveiled to the public at the Paris Motor Show this October.

there's clearly some misinformation or a misquote, 18 seconds would be far less than 7:25, the stock regular GT-R did the ring in 7:29

go figure

link to original with more pictures:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/nissan-t...-december.html
Old 07-13-2008, 02:38 PM
GTR Member

Thats great info, I can wait till 2010 for the V-Spec. It looks as if it will be worth the wait. For the time being I can go pick up a M3 or a Denali and pay on it some. Wonder what the prices on the V-Spec will be?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Banned

hopefully its worth the wait.

put it in the garage next to the Aston =)
Old 07-16-2008, 01:53 PM

Do you guys really think you'll be able to lay your hands on Spec V? I don't think so unles you are ready to pay same or more than the price of 911 GT2. The dealer situation will be way worse than regular GTR. Tyhe rumor has it that in Japan, where they can not charge over MSRP, they put people on the list for what they say is 50% non-refundable deposit (they want 75 mil yen, so the price is 130 mil yen, about $ 130k). Add to it US dealers markups, you got the picture. The number of cars that will get to US will be probably lower than number of ZR1's, and 1st official ZR1 was sold for $1 mil on the auction.
Why do you want this car anyway? Are you guys all really hard-core car racers? This car (spec v) will be terrible on the street, Have you driven 911 GT3?, it's pretty damn painfull on the street. So only reason I can see to buy it is to track it all the time or even race competitevly. Or add to you multimillion dollar car collection and keep in the garage.

Please let me know why are you guys waiting for this car and how much are you willing to pay for it
Old 07-16-2008, 02:14 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by m3man
Do you guys really think you'll be able to lay your hands on Spec V? I don't think so unles you are ready to pay same or more than the price of 911 GT2. The dealer situation will be way worse than regular GTR. Tyhe rumor has it that in Japan, where they can not charge over MSRP, they put people on the list for what they say is 50% non-refundable deposit (they want 75 mil yen, so the price is 130 mil yen, about $ 130k). Add to it US dealers markups, you got the picture. The number of cars that will get to US will be probably lower than number of ZR1's, and 1st official ZR1 was sold for $1 mil on the auction.
Why do you want this car anyway? Are you guys all really hard-core car racers? This car (spec v) will be terrible on the street, Have you driven 911 GT3?, it's pretty damn painfull on the street. So only reason I can see to buy it is to track it all the time or even race competitevly. Or add to you multimillion dollar car collection and keep in the garage.

Please let me know why are you guys waiting for this car and how much are you willing to pay for it
The same reason why anyone would buy a ZR-1, or GT-2. I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people will never track their cars. Some people just want the latest thing, a "must-have" item if you will. Some people want it for bragging rights. MSRP on the V-spec will be virtually impossible unless you have connections. If we are even getting it in the States.

Some people will modify (if not most) their GTR, and you know what that means? Warranty voided and it seems Nissan has gone out of their way to let people know that. Those that are not satisfied with the GTR can opt with the V-spec and keep the warranty intact (if they don't modifity it that is).

I understand what your saying about street use, but I'm willing to bet those who opt to spend the $$$ on the V-spec won't use it as a daily driver.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:04 PM

In that case the buyers of spec V will be the same crowd as buyers of ZR1, Ford GT, new R8, Lambi, Frerrari, Carera GT, Bugatti, etc. People who do not care how much the car is if it is exclusive. So MSRP is irrelevant, those cars will go for what they worth for those people. I am not suggesting $ 1.3 mln like for Veyron, but for sure in Ford GT territory and more likely in Italian range.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:52 PM

How much $$$ more are we looking at for the V-Spec over the current GTR ?
Old 07-18-2008, 12:37 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by m3man

trust me, if someone really wants somethin, there gonna get it, i dont care if they make 2 of these cars, ill drop every dime i have in front of the next man and bet the crapp out of the last to get in a V-Spec, now money's no issue....
Old 07-18-2008, 01:46 AM
Banned

i know for me, i could care less about the V spec.

its probaly gonna cost you ALOT more than a ZR1, and for the money, id rather have the vette.

say they both come out at 100k MSRP, a V will probaly cost you 125k+

not only do i not think id want to spend that much on a car, but im not inclined to belive many people on here would either
Old 07-19-2008, 10:30 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Camaro371
i know for me, i could care less about the V spec.

its probaly gonna cost you ALOT more than a ZR1, and for the money, id rather have the vette.

say they both come out at 100k MSRP, a V will probaly cost you 125k+

not only do i not think id want to spend that much on a car, but im not inclined to belive many people on here would either
It does not cost 60k more to put carbon fiber parts, change the ecu, increase boost pressure, exhaust tune and different wheels. 95-105k range is more reasonable.

Quick Reply: Nissan to release GT-R V-Spec in December