GTRForums News & Rumors Check this forum for the latest news in the GTR community and rumors about existing and future Skyline GTR models.

2008 GT-R sold out worldwide; Europe and U.S.-bound models to see improvements

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:54 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by GTRNate
It was my understanding that they where going to sell 1,500 minimum to the US for 2008 and if needed up to somewhere around 5,000. How many SOLD??? I read the same article but I am just not believing it. So many dealerships haven't sold their allotments so how did they sell all of the 2008 line up and 60% of the 2009 lineup???

-Nate
When they said sold out it doesnt mean customers bought them, it just means the dealers grabbed all that were available.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:53 AM
GTR Senior Member

Comparing houses to cars is apples to oranges. Houses typically increase in value, cars immediatley depreciate the second you buy it. If you piad 20k over msrp for a gtr and the next day you try sell it back to the dealership, they will probobly offer you 5-10k less than msrp.
i was making a point, not comparing cars to houses...

cliff notes: my point was about taking more than market value because who wouldn't
Old 05-09-2008, 08:52 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by rmatt8748
i was making a point, not comparing cars to houses...

cliff notes: my point was about taking more than market value because who wouldn't
I know what you wre saying, but it the market value for the GTR was 10-25K over msrp, they would have sold all ~1500 already. Im my opinion, there are not a lot of people who want to drop 70+ grand on a nissan. Which is actually good new for us. Remember and great as the supra was for its time, dealers couldnt sell them. I got a 3 yr old twin turbo supra with 29,000 miles, for $19,000. that was a 55,000 car new. BTW this was years ago.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:56 AM
GTR Senior Member

I know what you wre saying, but it the market value for the GTR was 10-25K over msrp, they would have sold all ~1500 already. Im my opinion, there are not a lot of people who want to drop 70+ grand on a nissan. Which is actually good new for us. Remember and great as the supra was for its time, dealers couldnt sell them. I got a 3 yr old twin turbo supra with 29,000 miles, for $19,000. that was a 55,000 car new. BTW this was years a
well time will tell, i guess i'm not really sure what will happen
Old 05-12-2008, 02:22 PM

Some of these dealers who are charging such a high FMV are really trying to recoupe the cost of the technical equipment they had to purchase to maintain the GT-R. Some dealers I spoke with said the equipment cost North of $70K. That's just the cost of doing business in my book but some dealers do not look at it that way. They are trying to get all their money back in the first year for those that are only getting two-three GT-R's initially.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by gogoevo
"Here in the U.S., the 2008 GT-R is also completely sold out, with 60 percent of the 2009 models already spoken for"

Am I reading this wrong? Wouldn't this indicate that the US allotments are selling and selling fast?
No I think that comment is misleading. It may be based on dealer orders or dealer submission of customer orders. I have a car on order with my local dealer. Gave them a $5k deposit and I had to fill out a form which the dealer submitted to Nissan with my color/option choices. I'm on the list for first shipment delivery in June. However, while MSRP is known, most dealers have not yet told their customers how much they are going to actually charge for the cars. I've heard everything from $10k over MSRP to $130k for the car. My guess is once the car finally comes in, most ppl who ordered them will be so discouraged by the dealer markups that they will not take the car and we will have a plethora of cars sitting in showroom floors or on eBay at a ridiculous price. This may be something new to Nissan, but happens all the time in the European Car market. It's just supply/demand. I don't agree with it, but it's capitalism at its finest. The smoke will eventually clear and we will see what kind of damage has occurred in the wake. But it really is discouraging that instead of trying to support this new brand in the US market, the primary focus is on trying to make as much profit as possible. Heck, I ordered and bought a Porsche 997 GT3 RS at STICKER from my dealer...a limited car that is selling on the open market for $50k-$80k above sticker, but I can't seem to get a GT-R for MSRP!

Last edited by Blairwarlock; 05-14-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:16 AM
GTR Member

I'm also on the MSRP hunt as well! However, with the launch of the V-spec that is looking more promising to me and it has what I really want. I think the wait for the V-spec is worth it.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:40 PM

If we all are pissed at the dealers and their mark-ups, there is one thing you can do to hurt them: do not buy what they are selling. The hype will go away, people who dont care about the money will get their GTR's, there will be something new and exiting on the market. If you can live without this car (and you could before)-just dont buy it now. I here people telling about calling all Nissan dealerships in the region/state. That creates more hype. Those dealers just drooling about mark-ups after getting gazillion calls a day. I propose the movement: NO DEALER GETS ANYTHING OVER MSRP.

But if this car is something you would die for--than stop b****ing and go and buy it.

Last edited by m3man; 07-14-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:42 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by GTRcHaRgEr
I'm also on the MSRP hunt as well! However, with the launch of the V-spec that is looking more promising to me and it has what I really want. I think the wait for the V-spec is worth it.
I'm also in the same boat, I know buying one now means outrageous mark-ups but there is no doubt that when/if the V-spec comes to us, getting one for MSRP would be even more difficult as its obviously more limited.