GTRForums News & Rumors Check this forum for the latest news in the GTR community and rumors about existing and future Skyline GTR models.

2008 GT-R sold out worldwide; Europe and U.S.-bound models to see improvements

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by gogoevo
"Here in the U.S., the 2008 GT-R is also completely sold out, with 60 percent of the 2009 models already spoken for"

Am I reading this wrong? Wouldn't this indicate that the US allotments are selling and selling fast?
I could be wrong but I think this means that all the GT-Rs have been bought by dealers. The dealers then do the mark-up on the cars and sell them to the public. I believe that some of the Nissan dealers are independent, so they get there GT-R at wholesale prices and then adjust for market demand?
Old 05-07-2008, 01:48 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by jamie392
I could be wrong but I think this means that all the GT-Rs have been bought by dealers. The dealers then do the mark-up on the cars and sell them to the public. I believe that some of the Nissan dealers are independent, so they get there GT-R at wholesale prices and then adjust for market demand?
First of all this is the first that I have heard of all the 08 GT-Rs being sold.

You would be correct jamie. I seriously doubt that they sold that many 2008 GT-R's in a few days, last I heard they had only actually sold 9XX or so not even close to the 1400 the NNA president suggests. But by no means are all of there allotments sold out for any of the years unless they recently decided to lower sells volumes to the U.S. market. If this is the case then it is just a shady way of saying that they gave our allotments to other countries because our market didn't have the demand. A demand that was marked up out of our control.

In the end the more GT-Rs sold in the U.S. the better, Better tuning/ service/ support/ knowledge of the car at racing events and much much more.

Rmatt, "Fair Tax" seems fair to me. If you add up what we already pay in taxes combined I think that you will see it is near 50% when all is said and done. You could have done better as a Serf after taxes like that.

-Nate

Last edited by GTRNate; 05-07-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:06 PM
GTR Member

"Here in the U.S., the 2008 GT-R is also completely sold out, with 60 percent of the 2009 models already spoken for"

Am I reading this wrong? Wouldn't this indicate that the US allotments are selling and selling fast?
I think that this is just deception by NNA and its dealership network. Can anyone verify that all 2008s are sold and exactly how many that was??????

Again I see it a more likely scenario that they just sold more to another countries market and less to ours because of less demand here in the U.S.

-Nate
Old 05-07-2008, 02:12 PM

Is there tell tail signs I should listen for when inquiring about the purchase of a GT-R? I have contacted two dealers in my region and they both gave me the same story. That being they have sold their first year allotments and a deposit is required to get on the list for next years run. Both couldn't give any kind of delivery date other than Dec 31st 2009. I was also told that the deposit is/was non refundable because they would be telling people that the car is sold. I didn't think to ask at the time, but, if the car is in such high demand they should be able to refund any deposit do to any hardship that might occur while waiting for delivery and sell it to the next guy with no problem. I have no problems with putting down a deposit but non refundable, come on! Dealer made it sound like "we will sell you what WE want to sell you but I can't tell you when".
Old 05-07-2008, 02:12 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by rmatt8748
Ok, fair enough, one last comment on econ stuff for me and I'll get back on track.. I really like the fair tax policy suggestion.

could you elaborate when you say that US allotments aren't selling, I thought that they were doing fine and that dealerships are asking for more?

It was my understanding that they where going to sell 1,500 minimum to the US for 2008 and if needed up to somewhere around 5,000. How many SOLD??? I read the same article but I am just not believing it. So many dealerships haven't sold their allotments so how did they sell all of the 2008 line up and 60% of the 2009 lineup???

-Nate
Old 05-07-2008, 02:18 PM
GTR Member

Is there tell tail signs I should listen for when inquiring about the purchase of a GT-R? I have contacted two dealers in my region and they both gave me the same story. That being they have sold their first year allotments and a deposit is required to get on the list for next years run. Both couldn't give any kind of delivery date other than Dec 31st 2009. I was also told that the deposit is/was non refundable because they would be telling people that the car is sold. I didn't think to ask at the time, but, if the car is in such high demand they should be able to refund any deposit do to any hardship that might occur while waiting for delivery and sell it to the next guy with no problem. I have no problems with putting down a deposit but non refundable, come on! Dealer made it sound like "we will sell you what WE want to sell you but I can't tell you when".
Stay smart don't fall for non-refundable deposits. Go in there with your own lawyer and draw up a mutually fair contract. If they won't agree to do so then walk. It is getting bad enough today to travel with an accountant and an lawyer just to buy a f'ing car.

-Nate
Old 05-07-2008, 06:57 PM
GTR Senior Member

i wish we had more complete information

and yeah, fair tax 23% is better than 50%, but there are tons of other reasons that it's a super awesome idea
Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 AM

There not sold out here in Dallas. I guess Texas must not be a part of the U.S. I sure do smell a bunch of B.S.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:22 AM
GTR Senior Member

There not sold out here in Dallas. I guess Texas must not be a part of the U.S. I sure do smell a bunch of B.S.

any more info? not sold out means that no one has put down a deposit? the dealer is holding out? or they're available at MSRP?

again, i really wish that we had some real numbers to work with
Old 05-08-2008, 10:52 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by rmatt8748
well we'll see what happens, i think that people are not happy to pay over MSRP, but we all need to remember that it's a suggested retail price

on most cars, we are used to paying less than MSRP, but we also all need to remember some basic economic principals

in this case, the MSRP is set below the percieved value of the car, so we have people who really want one willing to pay extra for it

that doesn't mean that nissan is at fault, they can't control their dealers, that would be just as detrimental as government subsidies and labor unions, we have a free market, and while it sucks, if people are willing to pay a certain amount for the car, it's worth at least that much to them, so we have to keep that in mind before getting all upset at nissan

it's not nissan's job to control their dealers

think about it like this:

Let's say you own a house that's on the market for $200,000 (it's fair market price). Let's say that you have someone who's interested in the house at that price and you're negotiating the sale. You are not in a contract, but you've just been talking to that potential buyer. You have not traded any money, or signed anything. Suddenly someone comes along and offers you $250,000 for the house. Maybe they really like the land, or they own property nextdoor and it's worth that much more to them. If you were in this position, you would probably take the offer for $250,000. That's essentially what nissan is doing.

Think about it. Sure, it sucks, but it's our economy at work.
Comparing houses to cars is apples to oranges. Houses typically increase in value, cars immediatley depreciate the second you buy it. If you piad 20k over msrp for a gtr and the next day you try sell it back to the dealership, they will probobly offer you 5-10k less than msrp.
If fact one of my friends worked at a nissan dealership in phoenix, he told me about a lady who was on the fence between 2 cars at that nissan dealership, she bought one, the next day she changed her mind and wanted the other car, they offered her 7,000 less than what she paid for it the day before on a trade in.

The problem with the GTRs now is the dealers have no incentive to sell it for msrp because the cars are not even here yet. Regardless of how great of a car it is, they havent even sold half the tiny allotment the US is getting. Demand is not that high for this car. Once dealers have several on thier lots unsold, prices will drop fast. I predict msrp within 2 months.

Last edited by ZOsixTT; 05-08-2008 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 GT-R sold out worldwide; Europe and U.S.-bound models to see improvements