GTR How Tos | Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how to, ask in here.

Wastegate install

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 02:38 AM
GTRForums Guru

Wastegate install

Theory on external wastegates are all the same. They should be in direct flow of the exhaust gases, so they can conrtol the boost better. Same size wastegate in the wrong location can effective turn a 45 into a 38.

You can see the factory location of the where the 38 was suppose to be mounted. I wanted to be able to run pretty low boost at times, so it had to go. The 38 in that location was not going to work for me.
Attached Thumbnails Wastegate install-tony-007.jpg   Wastegate install-tony-008.jpg  
Old 05-28-2006, 02:44 AM
GTRForums Guru

You can see in this pic where the new location will be. Its the best placement I can get without running into other issues.
Attached Thumbnails Wastegate install-tony-010.jpg  
Old 05-28-2006, 02:49 AM
GTRForums Guru

Here is what it will look like roughly. I have not had a chance to tack-weld into place, but it gives you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails Wastegate install-tony-011.jpg  
Old 05-30-2006, 11:18 PM
GTR Senior Member

yeah, why did the factory plumbing setup have it inline of the outgoing gases after the turbine? it should be before the turbine, as you have done, to more effectively regulate exhaust waste gas pressure. particularly if you want to dial lower and lower boost.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:51 AM
GTRForums Guru

Originally Posted by bonzelite
yeah, why did the factory plumbing setup have it inline of the outgoing gases after the turbine? it should be before the turbine, as you have done, to more effectively regulate exhaust waste gas pressure. particularly if you want to dial lower and lower boost.
The factory plumbing was before. If you look at the 3rd pic, you can see right through the pipe. I do agree where I placed it, along with a much bigger w/g, I have have a lot better control. The factory placement, and the fact that it was only a 35mm, to me really would not have allowed me to control the turbo at all. I sold the Tial 35, and with same money I was able to purchase the Turbosmart 45. I got a sweet deal with that Turbosmart.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:54 PM
GTR Senior Member

then i'm confused as to what you did and what the factory did. seeing through the pipe --that is what you did or the factory? that part is before the turbine. it's coming right off the headers.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:16 AM
GTRForums Guru

Originally Posted by bonzelite
then i'm confused as to what you did and what the factory did. seeing through the pipe --that is what you did or the factory? that part is before the turbine. it's coming right off the headers.
The blue area is where I cut the hole for the 45mm w/g. You can see that the factory plumbing was just to the right. Both hole of course are right before the turbo.

Does that make sense?
Attached Thumbnails Wastegate install-tony-008a.jpg  
Old 06-02-2006, 01:33 PM
GTR Senior Member

oooooohhh. now i see. ok. the part you're holding in your in hand in that pic is the factory piece cut off. i was looking farther down and thought that other thing sticking up, after the turbine, was what you were talking about. you just wanted a larger diameter W/G, pretty much in the same location. i am i understanding correctly?
Old 06-02-2006, 09:19 PM
GTRForums Guru

Yep, now you got it.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:09 AM
GTR Senior Member

yippee! cool. ok

now --you have any pics or links to pics of your Skyline? and what are you building there, a V8 setup? for what car?

Quick Reply: Wastegate install