General General forums for the GTR community.

Skyline Imports

Old 05-12-2006, 07:39 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by evilutionate
I am willing to bet, that unless you ARE the federal government, or EPA, or DOT, that you are just talking out your ***... from heresay, please back up with some evidence.
Why don't you get off your azz and do a search on this and other forms me and other's on here have explained why it can't be done.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:30 PM

Ok ok, no more rants here... but back to my point in the pm, you have explained what OTHERS have explained, who heard it from others, and... where does it end...? Someone will just have to take the dive, and I am not really concerned about hearsay.

Last edited by evilutionate; 08-23-2006 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:34 PM
GTR Senior Member

It's In black and white here read it for your self:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...es/page10.html

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/kitcar.htm

4:The production, sale and importation of vehicle parts (engines, transmissions, chassis, vehicle bodies, etc.) are not regulated by EPA because parts are not considered motor vehicles under the Clean Air Act. However if the parts constitute a disassembled vehicle or an approximate disassembled vehicle, the combination is considered a motor vehicle under the Clean Air Act. Any attempt to use this policy to circumvent the Clean Air Act or the Imports regulations will be considered a violation of the Clean Air Act and will be strictly enforced.

If you also read in there it also states that a kit car can not be a "manufactured vehicle" which is what a skyline is.

Sorry no hear say here just cold hard facts, sorry if you don't like them but it is what it is.

Here's some questions you should ask them:

1: Are they federally legalizing the car? If your car is a 96 or newer how did they get around the OBD2 requirement. (At present there is No Legal way around the OBD2 problem.)

2: Ask them who there RI and ICI are. Call there RI and ICI and verify that they have a contract with the company your buying your car for to do the conversion work and that they can.

Last edited by Real GTR; 05-13-2006 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:46 PM
GTR Member

REAL GTR,

Great reply! It is nice to see people posting just the facts.

Too many people in their rush to realize their dreams, end up circumventing the law. As is evidenced on other forums like Fresh Alloy.com, companies such as Motorex who chose to break or bend the law are out of business and their owners are now under criminal investigation.

It is possible to illegally import almost anything into the U.S., the problem is that it will never be legitimate. In the end breaking the law is breaking the law, wether it is illegal importation, customs fraud, violation of the Clean Air Act, or title fraud. The young or inexperienced think that it is always the other guy who will get caught. The problem is that in this type of fraud you have so many forces aligned against you, that eventually you will pay the price.

If your car is financed you could be unwittingly defrauding your lender. Usually a car loan contains a clause that has you certify that the car is legal for road use and is in compliance with all related laws. By signing for an "illegally" imported Skyline that can be confiscated by the government, you are defrauding your lender (a crime).

Another good example that no one thinks about is your car your insurance company. In the fine print of your policy it states that your car must meet all local, state, and federal laws concerning it's use. Things like illegal importation, title fraud, and violation of Federal emissions laws would violate your contract (policy) and set you up for denial of your claim. Meaning that if your car is crashed, stolen, or otherwise a total loss be prepared to eat the cost.

I am speaking from personal experience with a former big name insurance company. Claims are denied everyday on technicalities. This is just one more reason an "illegal GTR" is just not worth it.

Besides, its all about karma. Break the law and it comes back to you. Just ask Hiro from Motorex.

-AL
Old 06-11-2006, 10:54 PM
GTR Senior Member

Thanks HellBent

I try to help people out but somepeople just don't want to hear the truth.
Tell it's too late.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:42 AM
GTR Member

true true

I just wanted to add a comment to the previous two threads posted by RealGTR and Hellbent. On top of it all being 'illegal' and all, why would anyone want to drive an illegally improrted car anyway. Wouldn't you always be looking over your shoulder, seeing if anyone is following you and running your plates or something? How would owning an illegally imported skyline be any fun then? The whole part of making a dream come true is to be able to enjoy it, and I don't see enjoyment in trying to keep something a secret from the law, just a lot of nervous tension and possibly sleepless nights waiting for someone to confiscate it. I just couldn't do it.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:31 AM
GTR Senior Member

It dosen't make sense to me either why people would want to drive an illegal car there taking a huge risk every time it hit's the road. Up to 5 years in jail and up to a 50,000 fine.

Even legal owners are getting pulled over alot more and inspected.

It's difficult at this point to own a legal one let alone a illegal 1. Thanks to Hiro for putting a spot light on GT-R's.

Here's a very interesting thred.
http://skylinesdownunder.com/forums/...t=50683&page=4
Old 06-12-2006, 10:27 PM
GTR Senior Member

correct. the only skylines that can be legally imported are R33s. the R32 and R34 cannot be legally imported. as for legalization, none are legalizable. you must import any of these cars either as salvage parts only, or, in the case of the R33, as a track-only intended vehicle.

as for having your golden wet dream of having your US legal "Skyline" on the road ---- if you're in socal, pretty much forget it. you can attempt an out-of-state legalization of the car as a salvage title vehicle. but good luck. you have to get the car here first. and that alone has it's own pitfalls. you really, really need to trust the importer/dismantler.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:35 PM
GTR Senior Member

another thought, provided you get a car over here, i would strongly advise against attemtping "legalizing" it. take it to the track on a trailer and you are 200% in the clear, and you can enjoy the GTR in it's true element. today, things have gotten so tight and so scrutinized that to even appear on the road in the united states with a skyline is risking far more than is worth, in my opinion.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:21 PM
GTR Member

I think a lot of people fail to realize the EPA is involved in the importation process as well. Even if your state does not verify vehicles are compliant with the Federal Clean Air Act, you still must file the appropriate EPA paper work (EPA form 3520-1) to import a Skyline.

This paper work helps ensure you use an ICI to meet the emissions standards set forth under the Clean Air Act. Circumventing this paperwork is fraud and a violation of federal law. Basically, unless a Skyline has been complianced by both an RI and an ICI it has not legally entered the USA, and will not have the paper work to prove its legitamcy.

Therefore, there are no Skylines that are legal for just one state and not another. To 'legally' import a street legal Skyline you would basically need to meet the standards of the Clean Air Act, which is basically the same as California's (CARB) emissions rules.

-AL

(If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.)

Last edited by HellBent; 06-13-2006 at 08:41 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Skyline Imports