General General forums for the GTR community.

Skyline Imports

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 11:57 AM
GTRForums Guru

Originally Posted by Real GTR
If people start sending me money and I'll tell them what the want to here.
Too true!
Old 08-24-2006, 02:44 PM

I could care less weither some one has an illegal car or not, I get nothing out of this. I don't make a dime helping people but they should know what there getting into. People get on here want to know the facts and the truth sorry if the facts and the truth is something they don't want to here.

What am I suposed to do lie to people, sorry I don't sugar coat anything, it is what it is.

If people start sending me money and I'll tell them what the want to here.
Do you drive your 1043hp "legal" skyline on state roads? Do you consider it a daily driver? Define legal then, because I would imagine your car is the furthest from legal in terms of EPA requirements, just for starters. Practice what you preach...? Below is the testing requirements for Ohio, of which I got from the Ohio DMV online, it shows what has to be done in order to pass smog requirements, which is done every two years. I am just wondering how you get around this? This isnt a bash, I am just curious as to how you get around this with your high hp car and still maintain the ability to drive it on public roads, AND preach about legality issues in the grey marketing of foreign cars.

Testing Procedures
Position 1

1. The inspector asks you to exit your vehicle and wait inside the booth while your vehicle is tested.
2. The inspector performs a tampering inspection on your vehicle. They make sure your vehicle has both a gas cap and a catalytic converter (if it was manufactured with both). They also check for obvious fluid leaks, bald tires, and other safety concerns that may prevent your vehicle from being tested.
3. The inspector enters the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) into the computer so that the emissions standard for your vehicle can be pulled up and the vehicle identified.
Position 2

OBD Test
If your vehicle is 1996 or newer (gasoline) or 1997 or newer (diesel), it will most likely be tested with on-board diagnostics (OBD II) technology*. A handheld reader device will be connected to your vehicle's data port to download emission control system performance codes.
If your vehicle's data port is inaccessible, your vehicle will receive a tailpipe test on the dynamometer.
Tailpipe Test
1. The vehicle is moved onto a dynamometer, a treadmill-like device, and a probe is placed in the tailpipe to collect gases.

2. The vehicle is driven at a constant speed between 24 and 26 mph in a simulation of actual driving conditions.

3. Tailpipe exhaust is analyzed to determine how much pollution it contains. Vehicles should complete this phase of the test in 2 to 4 minutes.

4. Vehicles that cannot be driven on the dynamometer because of weight, traction control or four-wheel drive are given an idle test.

* Some restrictions may apply.
Position 3

1. The vehicle is now driven from position 2 to position 3 and prepared for the gas cap pressure test. The inspector will remove your gas cap and connect it to a gauge that measures pressure. This ensures that gasoline vapor is not being lost from your tank.
2. Once the testing is complete, the inspector will hand you your Vehicle Inspection Report and explain the results.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:15 PM
GTRForums Guru

Since when does a state emission test makes a car federally compliant? That is some funny ****.
If you're thinking You do not understand federal law!

Old 08-24-2006, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by SkylineUSA
Since when does a state emission test makes a car federally compliant? That is some funny ****.
If you're thinking You do not understand federal law!

Funny guy, this is off the subject of federally compliant, legal is legal, both federal and state, this would be in regards to state, I didn't realize I had to make is so clear for you super smart GTR gurus.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:54 PM
GTR Senior Member

I actually passed E-check when I very first got the car they had to idle test it. Then after that I applied for collector plates. With in the last year they have gotten rid of E-check, too many problems testing cars even new cars off the lot were failing.

Under Ohio law for collectors/show car plates your exempt from E-check and other EPA rules and I'm limited to 7,500 miles a year. Also the vehicle can not be your daily driver. Usually this only applies to hot rods and I was turned down the first time. I reapplied wrote them a 3 page letter with details of my plans copies of the orginal DOT,EPA, and customs paperwork and was given exemption.

It's 1 of 3 vehicles, I have a F-250 for towing it to shows and the track and a GSX-R1000. I drive it very little only 2 and from local shows and cruise-in's.

For the last year and 2 months to the date it has been sitting at XS getting the motor put in. It hasen't seen an Ohio street yet since it's been built. I've set in it a few times. (whole nother story)

Prior too that, it sat at Gary's for 4 months getting the cage.

I'm with in the scope of the law.

Last edited by Real GTR; 08-24-2006 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:18 PM

I actually passed E-check when I very first got the car they had to idle test it. Then after that I applied for collector plates. With in the last year they have gotten rid of E-check, too many problems testing cars even new cars off the lot were failing.

Under Ohio law for collectors/show car plates your exempt from E-check and other EPA rules and I'm limited to 7,500 miles a year. Also the vehicle can not be your daily driver. Usually this only applies to hot rods and I was turned down the first time. I reapplied wrote them a 3 page letter with details of my plans copies of the orginal DOT,EPA, and customs paperwork and was given exemption.

It's 1 of 3 vehicles, I have a F-250 for towing it to shows and the track and a GSX-R1000. I drive it very little only 2 and from local shows and cruise-in's.

For the last year and 2 months to the date it has been sitting at XS getting the motor put in. It hasen't seen an Ohio street yet since it's been built. I've set in it a few times. (whole nother story)

Prior too that, it sat at Gary's for 4 months getting the cage.

I'm with in the scope of the law.
Cool, never heard of the whole e-check thing, sounds bunk to me. You were still having issues with the DMV even with it being a MX'd car?
Old 08-24-2006, 08:23 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by evilutionate
Cool, never heard of the whole e-check thing, sounds bunk to me. You were still having issues with the DMV even with it being a MX'd car?
E-Check is a pain it's not as strict as carb but still a pain.

I had some issues with the DMV when I first registered it they wanted all the original copies of all the paperwork and notorized translations of the title/dereg.

The collectors plate thing was a whole nother issue seperate from that and after that.

I've had and have more trouble from my insurance company's I'm on my 4th company now and there starting to give me issues. Anything more than 1 ticket and they want to drop me/you.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:16 AM

E-Check is a pain it's not as strict as carb but still a pain.

I had some issues with the DMV when I first registered it they wanted all the original copies of all the paperwork and notorized translations of the title/dereg.

The collectors plate thing was a whole nother issue seperate from that and after that.

I've had and have more trouble from my insurance company's I'm on my 4th company now and there starting to give me issues. Anything more than 1 ticket and they want to drop me/you.
How do they classify it? Do they just go on face value? I am curious as there is no crash test data for them to derive a baseline for insurance premiums.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:53 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by evilutionate
How do they classify it? Do they just go on face value? I am curious as there is no crash test data for them to derive a baseline for insurance premiums.
There classed as stated value, it can be more price e' that way but you get what you pay for. Doing it that way all your aftermarket parts are covered as long as you don't blow it up at the track. You'll have to give them an aprasial.

Stay away from progressive they are the worst company for GT-R. They will not cover any aftermarket parts you add to the car even rims. And last time I checked they wanted 500 a month.