General General forums for the GTR community.

Porsche Owner Giving Props

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by jgs911
I own a GTR. Have had several Porsches, 944, Boxter, C2, C4S and a EVOMS GT700. The GTR is an amazing car. Not as fast as the GT700 in a straight line but a hell more comfortable and simpler to manipulate. Where the GT700 needed more finess the GTR just does it for you. Thats where the disconection begins. Just not quite as involving as some of the cars above but in its own way very satisfying car to drive. The WOW factor is amazing in this car as well. I spend more time showing the car at gas stations than I did any of my Porsches, M3's or Viper. The quality of fit and finish is not to par with any german high line make, but who can argue with the numbers. My wife even likes driving it. She even has a couple of kills under her belt. I auto-x the car with the Suncoast Porsche club in Florida and the car has performed very well. Im usually just behind the hard core enthusiast on r compound tires. Like Nissan says, Anyone, anytime, anywhere.
You're right about the fit and finish. I was looking at the paint job, and my 3 year old C4S's was much better quality.

As far as the gas station peep shows. Do women recognize it as a "cool" car? Or is it only car people like us who know what it is. That was one of my concerns. That people would see it as a Maxima Coupe or something.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:13 PM

Women do recognize the car as something cool. Most dont know what it is, but the few that do are worst than the guys. The most common question from women that dont know what it is, " is that a 370z on steroids?" There is usually someone that will correct them before I get a chance. But I had a similar problem with my Porsches. Most women cant tell the diff between a C2, C4, C4S, GT3 or 996 or 997 for that matter. The people most curious about the car are usually Infiniti, BMW, Mustang and Porsche owners. The Corvette guys dont give it much attention. I think its the Rice Burner issue. I love the car but Im never in love for ever. I will probably get another Porsche in the future. But it will have to be something that can spank a GTR at will. Maybe a 997TT from EVOMS or Protomotive, who knows.
My wifes favorite car still is my 2003 guards red C4S.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:18 PM

I can see that. I used to have an S2000 and a lot of people were curious to what it was back in 2002. Later on it wasn't as big of a deal. But back when it first came out, people went crazy when they saw one.

And it's funny that your wife's favorite car is a Guards Red C4S. That's what I have now.... just that it's a (997.1) 2006.
Attached Thumbnails Porsche Owner Giving Props-alba1.jpg  
Old 03-29-2009, 02:13 PM

Thats a great looking car. My wife likes the wheels. I had BBS LM's on mine and she(we) hated cleaning them. I just got done running with the Porsche club in an auto-x. I ended second over all. I ran right after it rained. The guy that beat me ran in the afternoon when it was dry. He is also a 9 time national champ with the SCCA. He is an incredible talented driver. He drove a slightly mod Boxter S. Even with equal conditions I have never beaten him. I think he was holding back a little. OR maybe I drove well. Regardless of the outcome, It was a blast to drive that GTR hard.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:10 AM

What's up with this forum? Are GT-R drivers all non-enthusaists that just purchase their cars and don't really drive or obsess about them all day every day? This place is so quiet that you can hear an ant **** on cotton.