General General forums for the GTR community.

Porsche Owner Giving Props

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:52 AM

Porsche Owner Giving Props

What's up everyone. I just wanted to let you guys know that your car is an awesome machine.

I encounted my first GT-R on the streets about two months ago. I own a 2006 911 C4S, which is AWD and has 355 hp. We ran twice from a start and he absolutely killed me. I knew that I was going to lose, but I just wanted to see by how much. I felt like I was in a Civic Coupe racing a Corvette. It was pretty bad lol. But I was just so happy to hear the engine and see one run that I had a big once I finally caught up with him at the next night. I told him "nice kill" and rolled off to lick my wounds and look up super chargers that I can't afford on the internet ($12,000 - $15,000).

I met an Atlanta owner, Mark Thibodeau in a parking lot in Buckhead the other night while out and about. I simply drive up and started talking to him about the car. He was a great guy and I just wanted to give him and the community a big .

Keep raising the bar over here. I'm a dedicated Honda boy and Porschephile, but I have to give props where it's due.

Hopefully the GT-R will get these other auto makers off their lazy 's and they will start pushing the envelope again.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:37 PM

[quote=nastinupe1;8368]What's up everyone. I just wanted to let you guys know that your car is an awesome machine.

I encounted my first GT-R on the streets about two months ago. I own a 2006 911 C4S, which is AWD and has 355 hp. We ran twice from a start and he absolutely killed me. I knew that I was going to lose, but I just wanted to see by how much. I felt like I was in a Civic Coupe racing a Corvette. It was pretty bad lol. But I was just so happy to hear the engine and see one run that I had a big once I finally caught up with him at the next night. I told him "nice kill" and rolled off to lick my wounds and look up super chargers that I can't afford on the internet ($12,000 - $15,000).

I met an Atlanta owner, Mark Thibodeau in a parking lot in Buckhead the other night while out and about. I simply drive up and started talking to him about the car. He was a great guy and I just wanted to give him and the community a big .

NUPE-i agree, the gt-r is a very potent and interesting car. i would love to have one. the reason that you felt you were in a civic racing a vette is that, well, that was true. i have a 997tt and i had a 997c4s-although a c4s is a wonderful car, it will, on no day of the week, be any kind of a performance match for a gt-r. don't bow down to the gt-r owner in the name of the porsche community. in order to compete against a gt-r, you would need another 100+ horsepower--a 997 turbo or a gt2 would do just fine. your c4s is a great all weather performer that has a fit and finish second to none, but as far as trying to compete against a gt-r, just leave that to the turbocharged cars, the 997tt
and the gt2's.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by docjackson1
NUPE-i agree, the gt-r is a very potent and interesting car. i would love to have one. the reason that you felt you were in a civic racing a vette is that, well, that was true. i have a 997tt and i had a 997c4s-although a c4s is a wonderful car, it will, on no day of the week, be any kind of a performance match for a gt-r. don't bow down to the gt-r owner in the name of the porsche community. in order to compete against a gt-r, you would need another 100+ horsepower--a 997 turbo or a gt2 would do just fine. your c4s is a great all weather performer that has a fit and finish second to none, but as far as trying to compete against a gt-r, just leave that to the turbocharged cars, the 997tt
and the gt2's.
I never said that I was bowing down, I simply gave the car it's props. I believe that Nissan did an amazing thing by offering this car for less today than the what the NSX was 18 years ago. The NSX in today's dollars would be around $110,000. Heck the Supra was around $40,000+ in 1993. That would be closer to $55,000 in today's dollars.

As far as the 480 hp 997 TT, well... it's runs $135,000. That's two GT-R's. Even though I am a Porsche owner, I have to admit that for the performance, that car is over priced. I don't see how Porsche justifies a $35,000 premium over a C4S for a turbo, which only probably cost them $5000 to add to the car? And Porsche nickles and dimes us for every option under the sun.

I admit, I didn't buy my C4S new, I bought it 9 months ago used for $72,000. It stickered for just above $104,000 because it has the GT3 kit and the Bose and Chrono package. I would have never paid that much for that car. Heck, $72,000 was pushing it. Especially for 355 hp.

That's why I marvel at this Nissan. For $76,000, you are getting what you pay for. Some serious performance. The "normal" 911's of today are over priced for what they offer against the competition. I can understand the Porsche label adding an additional increase to the price you pay for admission, but twice the cost of cars that perform just as well, I'm not buying it. That's why I am glad that Nissan came out with this car. To get Porsche off of their butts so they car make the next 911 more on par with what's out there. No one wants to have trouble getting rid of that Colbat SS in their rear view.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by nastinupe1
I never said that I was bowing down, I simply gave the car it's props. I believe that Nissan did an amazing thing by offering this car for less today than the what the NSX was 18 years ago. The NSX in today's dollars would be around $110,000. Heck the Supra was around $40,000+ in 1993. That would be closer to $55,000 in today's dollars.

As far as the 480 hp 997 TT, well... it's runs $135,000. That's two GT-R's. Even though I am a Porsche owner, I have to admit that for the performance, that car is over priced. I don't see how Porsche justifies a $35,000 premium over a C4S for a turbo, which only probably cost them $5000 to add to the car? And Porsche nickles and dimes us for every option under the sun.

I admit, I didn't buy my C4S new, I bought it 9 months ago used for $72,000. It stickered for just above $104,000 because it has the GT3 kit and the Bose and Chrono package. I would have never paid that much for that car. Heck, $72,000 was pushing it. Especially for 355 hp.

That's why I marvel at this Nissan. For $76,000, you are getting what you pay for. Some serious performance. The "normal" 911's of today are over priced for what they offer against the competition. I can understand the Porsche label adding an additional increase to the price you pay for admission, but twice the cost of cars that perform just as well, I'm not buying it. That's why I am glad that Nissan came out with this car. To get Porsche off of their butts so they car make the next 911 more on par with what's out there. No one wants to have trouble getting rid of that Colbat SS in their rear view.
'

i have been lucky enough to drive a gt-r- it is a great car, but a far different car than your porsche or my porsche. it is more of a track car, a more uncompromising ride, a totally different interior. 0-60 times and quarter mile times don't mean much to most of us in the real world. your c4s has the classic porsche wide *** look-it is a mostly hand made car with a real nice interior. my turbo is overpriced, no doubt, but so are most cars, including the gtr, which most of the dealers have been chargeing a premium for-maybe not now, though. the best deal, money wise, is a c6 vet. next time you see that gtr, you come prepared with a used and modded 2007 997tt-especially on slippery roads with your winter tires on. you might surprise him then
Old 01-05-2009, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by docjackson1
'

i have been lucky enough to drive a gt-r- it is a great car, but a far different car than your porsche or my porsche. it is more of a track car, a more uncompromising ride, a totally different interior. 0-60 times and quarter mile times don't mean much to most of us in the real world. your c4s has the classic porsche wide *** look-it is a mostly hand made car with a real nice interior. my turbo is overpriced, no doubt, but so are most cars, including the gtr, which most of the dealers have been chargeing a premium for-maybe not now, though. the best deal, money wise, is a c6 vet. next time you see that gtr, you come prepared with a used and modded 2007 997tt-especially on slippery roads with your winter tires on. you might surprise him then
I don't believe that the GT-R is overpriced... without the dealer mark up that is. Maybe the fit and finish isn't as good as Porsche, but that's where they get us. Paying all that money for leather and little nick nacks.

When I saw the $192,000 price tag of the GT2 I also spit out my coffee. You could give me a $75,000 base 911, a grease monkey that knows how to work on Porsches, a garage, and $40,000 and I could probably mod that car to kill the GT2.

I believe that Porshe is really holding out on us. They made cars that could rival a 997 TT 25 years ago... the 959. I just think that they need to up the ante a bit. Maybe make all of their car's TT and just make a totally different larger mid engined super car that costs around $200,000. That would create more "want" for Porsche owners... instead of just changing around some stuff on the inside and asking an additional $110,000 for the same body. To me, that's pretty lame.

Sorry to hijack this thread. Back to GT-R talk.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:59 PM

Lightbulb

Preface: I don't currently own a GT-R or any Japanese car. I have owned a low-end Porsche (I'd rather not say, GF's car) and been a passenger in a number of the higher end models, including the current GT2.

As a european performance car owner I completely understand what you're saying, The big boys in Europe have been letting the world down for the past, lets say, 8 years.

Take Porsche first: They come out with the EXACT SAME CAR EVERY YEAR, only every year they add about 6bhp or an additional turbo and some new tail lights. The most creative thing since the GT has been the Cayman, which is just 1/2 a boxster and 1/2 a Carrera... wow, so inventive. Then, as you mention, the extra cost for adding a turbo can be close to $90k when the parts and mechanics etc probably cost about $20k max.

Even Ferrari and Mercedes are letting us down. Ferrari has, with the advent of the California, officially began living off the charity of its child-company Maserati (look at the California next to a picture of the GranTurismo S, then compare tech). And they havn't come out with a REALLY new V8 since the Maserati Coupe/Ferrari F430's 4.2L engine. My dealer has ensured me that this 4.7 liter engine is just a slight deviation from the old one.
Meanwhile, Merc has been scaling-back fit and finish while hiking prices and engine displacements in an effort to compete with BMW's technology and chassis advantages, which are actually pathetic compared to the tech being used and developed by Honda Motors, Toyota, and Nissan.

All of this is very depressing, but also leaves the door open for the young-blood to step up. While I don't have that much hope for American cars at this point, the Japanese have been not-so quietly building a fleet of knock-out sports cars to replace the old guard. First the GT-R, then the new NSX, then the Lexus LF-A. All look to be technologically, stylistically, practically, and athletically more advanced than anything coming out of Europe or the Americas (save Tesla and Fisker). I mean the Japaneese clearly understand this, otherwise they wouldn't even have the guts to even develope a V10 powered GT car like the LF-A, or so directly challenge Porsche with the GT-R. So, bravo Japaneese car companies! Push it! More power to you if you displace the bloated elite, they need a wake-up call anyways.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Briik
Preface: I don't currently own a GT-R or any Japanese car. I have owned a low-end Porsche (I'd rather not say, GF's car) and been a passenger in a number of the higher end models, including the current GT2.

As a european performance car owner I completely understand what you're saying, The big boys in Europe have been letting the world down for the past, lets say, 8 years.

Take Porsche first: They come out with the EXACT SAME CAR EVERY YEAR, only every year they add about 6bhp or an additional turbo and some new tail lights. The most creative thing since the GT has been the Cayman, which is just 1/2 a boxster and 1/2 a Carrera... wow, so inventive. Then, as you mention, the extra cost for adding a turbo can be close to $90k when the parts and mechanics etc probably cost about $20k max.

Even Ferrari and Mercedes are letting us down. Ferrari has, with the advent of the California, officially began living off the charity of its child-company Maserati (look at the California next to a picture of the GranTurismo S, then compare tech). And they havn't come out with a REALLY new V8 since the Maserati Coupe/Ferrari F430's 4.2L engine. My dealer has ensured me that this 4.7 liter engine is just a slight deviation from the old one.
Meanwhile, Merc has been scaling-back fit and finish while hiking prices and engine displacements in an effort to compete with BMW's technology and chassis advantages, which are actually pathetic compared to the tech being used and developed by Honda Motors, Toyota, and Nissan.

All of this is very depressing, but also leaves the door open for the young-blood to step up. While I don't have that much hope for American cars at this point, the Japanese have been not-so quietly building a fleet of knock-out sports cars to replace the old guard. First the GT-R, then the new NSX, then the Lexus LF-A. All look to be technologically, stylistically, practically, and athletically more advanced than anything coming out of Europe or the Americas (save Tesla and Fisker). I mean the Japaneese clearly understand this, otherwise they wouldn't even have the guts to even develope a V10 powered GT car like the LF-A, or so directly challenge Porsche with the GT-R. So, bravo Japaneese car companies! Push it! More power to you if you displace the bloated elite, they need a wake-up call anyways.
My sentiments exactly. So kudos to Nissan and Toyota... Honda... you suck big time for canceling the next NSX or whatever it was going to be called. And you suck for not making that car RMR anyway. who wants a FMR NSX?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:05 PM

they canceled the new NSX? I thought it would go through for sure, seeing how they brought it to the 'ring...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6949
Old 01-08-2009, 04:47 PM

Yep...

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/17/b...dly-kills-nsx/
Old 03-28-2009, 02:26 PM

I own a GTR. Have had several Porsches, 944, Boxter, C2, C4S and a EVOMS GT700. The GTR is an amazing car. Not as fast as the GT700 in a straight line but a hell more comfortable and simpler to manipulate. Where the GT700 needed more finess the GTR just does it for you. Thats where the disconection begins. Just not quite as involving as some of the cars above but in its own way very satisfying car to drive. The WOW factor is amazing in this car as well. I spend more time showing the car at gas stations than I did any of my Porsches, M3's or Viper. The quality of fit and finish is not to par with any german high line make, but who can argue with the numbers. My wife even likes driving it. She even has a couple of kills under her belt. I auto-x the car with the Suncoast Porsche club in Florida and the car has performed very well. Im usually just behind the hard core enthusiast on r compound tires. Like Nissan says, Anyone, anytime, anywhere.

Quick Reply: Porsche Owner Giving Props