General General forums for the GTR community.

Oh yeah...here's me in a red GT-R. (November in Tokyo)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:00 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by modernceo
Most people who are self made, never discuss their income.

Most people who are self made/have good incomes dont rely on others for their financial decisions.

So, with that being said, Id have to say its silly if you cant afford a GTR with 150k income. But then again, depending on your tax bracket, your living expenses, and where you live will make a huge difference.

150k in Houston, Texas is excellent
150k in California is marginal for a lifestyle including a GTR.

So, look at your expenses, consider your current debt, and make the decision.

Dont forget about taxes, dont forget about insurance, speeding tickets, and modification budget for this car though either.. Hehe.
Yes, you have good points.

As well, for example to add, lots of people making double of that can't afford anything. I've seen it and occasionally work with people just like that. It has to do with how much you "must" maintain as a lifestyle. Many people "must" make and lead a "lifestyle" that has all kinds of implied expenses and responsibilities, many of which "appear" to be "beyond control."

For example, lots of wealthy doctors cannot afford anything more than what they already have, and many cannot afford that either. Often the larger your title or position, the more you need to project this profession's "level" to your peers and clients. You don't want to be seen driving a 8 year old VW Jetta if you're making $500,000/yr. You want to be seen driving a brand new Bentley or SLR McLaren or something along those lines.

You are then a member of a golf or country club, and the memberships can run beyond $10,000/year. You must drive and wear to work a certain level of fashion to project success and power. And you must appear at certain places and pay certain premiums to be seen appearing there to maintain a veneer of status; perception is nearly 100% of everything.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 PM
GTR Senior Member

wucifer...

i get the name, i missed it before, funny
Old 03-10-2008, 09:11 PM
GTR Senior Member

yeah, no one would hire a lawyer driving a $hitty car
Old 03-10-2008, 10:41 PM

Most people who are self made/have good incomes dont rely on others for their financial decisions.

So, with that being said, Id have to say its silly if you cant afford a GTR with 150k income. But then again, depending on your tax bracket, your living expenses, and where you live will make a huge difference.

Dont forget about taxes, dont forget about insurance, speeding tickets, and modification budget for this car though either.. Hehe.
First off, I am not close to being "Most people" and never would wish that on myself. That said, I guess you can say I'm "self made", but it wasn't without the helping hand of people who doubted my abilities growing up--discouraging me, because I wasn't the best student. Anyway, I didn't want this post to focus on my income, but I know it's sort of inevitable. All I wanted was advice from older GT-R fanatics (who perhaps have been through a situation like mine)...which I guess isn't too wise in its own right now that I think twice. I was really tired last night--and perhaps secretly wanted someone to say "just keep your job!" Wishful thinking...but the fact is, I'll still have a boss. By the way...I recently moved home to pay for my mother's mortgage since she spoiled me growing up. That's $5k/mo so I guess now you can dwindle that down to $90k spending (after taxes). It just seems quite a bit...working an entire year to pay for 1 car and a mortgage. Well 1 SUPERcar--automobile of the century--sheer perfection in machine form. Sitting in one made me so anxious. I even go to press the start button! Interior was nicer than expected. Not on par with Audi/BMW/Lexus, but bounds over the Corvette. Anyway...cheers to no more bosses.

Last edited by wucifer; 03-12-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:45 PM
GTR Senior Member

5k/mo mortgage? wow the mortgage must be over 1million dollars?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesJ
I greatly depends on your other expenditures. A nice dept expenses to income ration is 1:3. Depending on how much you spend on your house, how much your payments will be, and so on, it could vary. If you have an expensive house, then no, probably not wise. Also, if you have other expensive hobbies, probably a bad idea. Otherwise, based on the 150k number alone, I would say that a 70k car could be an affordable purchase no problem. If one had low other living expenses, even 100k/year could be OK. Much below that, it would basically have to be your only expense to be justifiable as a typical 5 year payment on this car will hover in the 1500ish range
1:3 monthly expenditure to monthly income...this to me seems like a safe number. right now i'm actually pretty close to 1:2 as it is...getting rid of one of my car payments and adding a gt-r payment would probably put me closer to 3:5, though. wow that puts things into perspective! thanks bud.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by bonzelite
5k/mo mortgage? wow the mortgage must be over 1million dollars?
yea...one point two...anaheim hills...my mother is crazy but i love her the same.

if i had my way, i would pay half that for a nice condo and really nice toys. but whatever makes her happy.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by rmatt8748
yeah, no one would hire a lawyer driving a $hitty car
haha, nope. and since you asked before: bank card industry
Old 03-10-2008, 10:59 PM
GTR Member

That actually is a great observation and some great advice!

-Nate

Last edited by GTRNate; 03-10-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by bonzelite
It's not really how much you make but how much you spend versus how much you keep.

That will vary from person to person. You could make 1million/year and be in debt out your ***. I've met people like that.
Yes. Case in point, retired, superstar athletes. It's also interesting...I'll do business with plastic surgeons making millions and when I pull their credit you'll see a sub-500? Yikes! And I thought my credit was poor.

Quick Reply: Oh yeah...here's me in a red GT-R. (November in Tokyo)