GTR Forums - Nissan Skyline GT-R  Community

GTR Forums - Nissan Skyline GT-R Community (https://www.gtrforums.com/forums/)
-   General (https://www.gtrforums.com/forums/general-8/)
-   -   Oh yeah...here's me in a red GT-R. (November in Tokyo) (https://www.gtrforums.com/forums/general-8/oh-yeah-heres-me-red-gt-r-november-tokyo-936/)

wucifer 03-09-2008 09:46 PM

Oh yeah...here's me in a red GT-R. (November in Tokyo)

I haven't posted on here since my trip.

I've been getting a lot of phone calls lately on dealers wanting $90k for the car...

I was wondering...what income do you guys perceive is necessary to be able to afford a GT-R?

I ask because I make over 150. It's unfortunate that I am not getting the car, though, because I am quiting this job and starting my own business--so I might get it next year unless I get into an R8.

Hypothetically speaking...if you were single and 25, and you kept this job...would you think you could afford buying this car? Is there some sort of rule of thumb on income/car price ratio?

http://a48.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/...479b5696af.jpg

shahulx 03-10-2008 03:44 AM

I should think so.... Unless you waste alot of money;)

It really depends on your lifestyle and things and see if you can afford the payments, did you save enough for a sizeable downpayment?

GTRNate 03-10-2008 07:36 AM

I will be paying cash (If I can find one at MSRP....) so it will just be the insurance and maintenance costs for me(I have been saving for one for quite some time). I also have no intentions of tuning until the warranty is long gone if ever, so that won't cost any additional money.

I don't know all of your monthly bills and spending habits but, I would think that with an income of 150k per year and a some intelligent spending you would be able to easily afford one.:smilie_th

-Nate

rmatt8748 03-10-2008 09:18 AM

i mean a car is never a "good" investment, but all other sorts of "good" investments have also failed recently

as others said, it would be tight, but it depends on your housing situation, if you're expecting raises or bonuses and just generally how you live

can i ask what you do?

ScottsZ-0-6 03-10-2008 10:45 AM

No car is a good investment. If you are sweating about that dont buy an expensive car.

rmatt8748 03-10-2008 11:14 AM

i'd suggest sitting down and thinking of all the places you could put the money that would go into the GT-R. Weigh it out, possibly even consider buying 2 other cars instead of 1, find out what makes the most sense as well as what will make you happy. Obviously don't buy it as an impulse, but that's the beauty of our society, if you want it, then you can work and get it..

some of the time

CharlesJ 03-10-2008 05:45 PM

I greatly depends on your other expenditures. A nice dept expenses to income ration is 1:3. Depending on how much you spend on your house, how much your payments will be, and so on, it could vary. If you have an expensive house, then no, probably not wise. Also, if you have other expensive hobbies, probably a bad idea. Otherwise, based on the 150k number alone, I would say that a 70k car could be an affordable purchase no problem. If one had low other living expenses, even 100k/year could be OK. Much below that, it would basically have to be your only expense to be justifiable as a typical 5 year payment on this car will hover in the 1500ish range

bonzelite 03-10-2008 06:23 PM

It's not really how much you make but how much you spend versus how much you keep.

That will vary from person to person. You could make 1million/year and be in debt out your ass. I've met people like that.

bonzelite 03-10-2008 06:25 PM

Also, it's in my belief that lots of buyers of this car are going bail out once they realize how every month they must fork over about $1200. For some that will get old real fast and force them to sell.

This is great for all those who can't get any progress with a dealer. Let the first buyers go through all of the bull**** and then buy theirs.

modernceo 03-10-2008 07:44 PM

Most people who are self made, never discuss their income.

Most people who are self made/have good incomes dont rely on others for their financial decisions.

So, with that being said, Id have to say its silly if you cant afford a GTR with 150k income. But then again, depending on your tax bracket, your living expenses, and where you live will make a huge difference.

150k in Houston, Texas is excellent
150k in California is marginal for a lifestyle including a GTR.

So, look at your expenses, consider your current debt, and make the decision.

Dont forget about taxes, dont forget about insurance, speeding tickets, and modification budget for this car though either.. Hehe.

Originally Posted by wucifer (Post 5164)
I haven't posted on here since my trip.

I've been getting a lot of phone calls lately on dealers wanting $90k for the car...

I was wondering...what income do you guys perceive is necessary to be able to afford a GT-R?

I ask because I make over 150. It's unfortunate that I am not getting the car, though, because I am quiting this job and starting my own business--so I might get it next year unless I get into an R8.

Hypothetically speaking...if you were single and 25, and you kept this job...would you think you could afford buying this car? Is there some sort of rule of thumb on income/car price ratio?

http://a48.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/...479b5696af.jpg