GTR Forums - Nissan Skyline GT-R  Community

GTR Forums - Nissan Skyline GT-R Community (https://www.gtrforums.com/forums/)
-   General (https://www.gtrforums.com/forums/general-8/)
-   -   The official hilarious markup thread. Dealers listing crazy markups (https://www.gtrforums.com/forums/general-8/official-hilarious-markup-thread-dealers-listing-crazy-markups-714/)

CharlesJ 11-16-2007 12:26 PM

The official hilarious markup thread. Dealers listing crazy markups

Post dealers with funny markups. This will be especially good as I believe nissan intends to penalize dealers that are doing this. Lets make a nice list for them to see.

I'll start:

Ferman Nissan of Tampa told me today, they are not taking orders, and when it comes in they are marking it up 20k. Not the most ridiculous, but still too damn much

smg944 11-16-2007 04:31 PM

hopefully emilGH's post in the gtr waiting list thread goes through. i would love to lease one because i plan on keeping it anyway. either way it should help stop the dealer markups. also the idea of nissan taking the pre-orders is good. can we contact nissan direct about this stuff?

EmilGH 11-16-2007 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 3886)
Ferman Nissan of Tampa told me today, they are not taking orders, and when it comes in they are marking it up 20k

They're not allowed to take orders yet, so that makes sense... but 20k over. They're just feeling things out. That's a good sign. If they launch with 20k in mark up, it won't last long.

spt 11-19-2007 11:22 AM

Actually I can beat that. I took myself off the list because the dealer wanted 25k over. Now I have to find a new dealer to go to.

EmilGH 11-19-2007 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by spt (Post 3903)
Actually I can beat that. I took myself off the list because the dealer wanted 25k over. Now I have to find a new dealer to go to.

Dude! Never take yourself off the list. Wait as long as you can until they ask for money... Then flip it for 35k over! :-) Or the dealer will get frustrated and take your offer.

darstar007 11-19-2007 10:16 PM

Local dealer in San Jose,CA quoted me $60K over MSRP. You won't find this car under $100K anytime soon.

spt 11-20-2007 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by EmilGH (Post 3905)
Dude! Never take yourself off the list. Wait as long as you can until they ask for money... Then flip it for 35k over! :-) Or the dealer will get frustrated and take your offer.

I would have but apparently there were 2 people behind me that put down larger deposits to secure the fact they will pay the 25k over. I mean a markup is understandable but anything over 10k is kind of crazy.

EmilGH 11-20-2007 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by spt (Post 3910)
...but anything over 10k is kind of crazy.

Agreed.

CharlesJ 11-20-2007 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by darstar007 (Post 3907)
Local dealer in San Jose,CA quoted me $60K over MSRP. You won't find this car under $100K anytime soon.

Thats an opinion. As with any car, there will be ones selling at msrp. Maybe not right off, but eventually. Thats what this thread is for. So lets keep it for that, or ones very close to msrp. Also, there are already numerous ones promising well under 100k. 60k is utter insanity.

rodel12 11-20-2007 03:39 PM

I'm not very educated with how dealers work and how they can justify marking up the GT-R so much. Is it really that costly for dealers obtain such car?

When I was in the market for the Subaru STI or the EVO back in 2004, I thought the $5K mark up I've seen was crazy... now it is way over that!

EmilGH 11-20-2007 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by rodel12 (Post 3916)
Is it really that costly for dealers obtain such car?

Nope. It's just what they think people will pay to get one! We'll see how long it'll last...

It wasn't too long ago when these were selling for 15k over... Now look...

darstar007 11-20-2007 05:15 PM

Hey I hope you're right and I will check this thread periodically. Simple supply and demand econ 101 makes it seem as if it won't be available near MSRP anytime soon however. Only 1500 cars at select dealers around the country. Here in the SF Bay Area, there are way too many Google millionaires to compete with anyways!!!

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 3915)
Thats an opinion. As with any car, there will be ones selling at msrp. Maybe not right off, but eventually. Thats what this thread is for. So lets keep it for that, or ones very close to msrp. Also, there are already numerous ones promising well under 100k. 60k is utter insanity.

darstar007 11-20-2007 06:29 PM

Stevens Creek BMW of San Jose,CA $60K over MSRP. Got the quote yesterday.

rodel12 11-21-2007 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by EmilGH (Post 3917)
Nope. It's just what they think people will pay to get one! We'll see how long it'll last...

It wasn't too long ago when these were selling for 15k over... Now look...

I see! I would not invest extra on the mark up prices... I would rather wait it out.

darstar007 11-21-2007 10:02 AM

Comparing a mass-produced Chevy to a limited production "Skyline" probably isn't a legitimate one. I agree that the "buzz" will end eventually, but I think it'll take a couple of years at least.

nisskid 11-21-2007 08:24 PM

in australia we were told by a reputable magazine that we should expect to pay around AU$150k, with the current exchange rate at about 85-90 thats about US$130k.

EmilGH 11-21-2007 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by darstar007 (Post 3932)
Comparing a mass-produced Chevy to a limited production "Skyline" probably isn't a legitimate one. I agree that the "buzz" will end eventually, but I think it'll take a couple of years at least.

What about a limited production run Ford?

http://www.fordgtprices.com

beanboy 11-26-2007 02:35 PM

Here's a new one:

Bankston Nissan of Lewisville, TX told me that they were very concerned about customers taking GT-Rs and then flipping them for profit.

So, in turn, THEY ARE GOING TO DO 'MARKET ADJUSTMENTS' AND JACK UP THE PRICES THEMSELVES.

Who the hell are they kidding? He actually told me they didn't want customers buying cars to flip. What a fantastic alternative: they are just going to cut to the chase and screw everyone over personally, cutting out the middlemen.

Don't you love $tealers?

02HREBlue 11-26-2007 02:57 PM

Let em sit. You don't have to buy. Others will though. I will be sitting out unless the MSRP thing comes through--better editions later anyway. There are many cars coming out in the next 2 years to compete---LFA, supra, supervette, NSX, super R8, to name just a few. Competition is always good, unless you HAVE to have the car, then you are trouble.

:(

darstar007 11-26-2007 03:28 PM

Later editions....MY ONLY HOPE :crying:

EmilGH 11-26-2007 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by 02HREBlue (Post 3973)
L There are many cars coming out in the next 2 years to compete---LFA, supra, supervette, NSX, super R8, to name just a few.

I'll take a ZR1 and an R8 with the W12 TDI, please...

CharlesJ 11-26-2007 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by beanboy (Post 3972)
Here's a new one:

Bankston Nissan of Lewisville, TX told me that they were very concerned about customers taking GT-Rs and then flipping them for profit.

So, in turn, THEY ARE GOING TO DO 'MARKET ADJUSTMENTS' AND JACK UP THE PRICES THEMSELVES.

Who the hell are they kidding? He actually told me they didn't want customers buying cars to flip. What a fantastic alternative: they are just going to cut to the chase and screw everyone over personally, cutting out the middlemen.

Don't you love $tealers?

Nissan is already considering options to prevent the flipping such as voiding warranties on cars that are resold within the first year. That is ridiculous of the dealer to say though. I do believe a bit of a markup is fine for the first round. Over 10k is silly though. Part of what makes this car appealing is its price point. But it closer to the 100k mark, and cars like the GT3 really come back into the picture

EmilGH 11-26-2007 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 3979)
But it closer to the 100k mark, and cars like the GT3 really come back into the picture

Yeah, but the GT3 is a way different kind of driving experience than the GTR. If you're gonna be competing in the kind of events that the GT3 would excel... the GTR might not be as competitive. Especially if you're paying 30k for "market adjustment" and not coil overs, weight reduction, bigger turbos, FIA cage, etc.

Don't worry. This won't be as bad as we think... especially if they do actually do the flip and void the warranty thing.

fjs 11-27-2007 01:31 PM

Well, I hate to say it but the only way to get one of these is if you are willing to pay a huge markup (my guess is $30k). If you know a dealership that will sell you one anywhere close to MSRP, jump at it! IMO, there won't be any, 1500 cars and roughly 1000 dealerships. Not to mention some dealerships won't even get one. And even the bigger dealerships will only get few units for the whole year!

On top of all, if the weak dollars continue, which it probably will. Who knows how many will be shipped out...

So nothing against the original poster but it's not hilarious anymore. It's reality.

darstar007 11-27-2007 03:10 PM

Soooo true. I'm putting my GT-R dreams in the deep freeze for at least a year. Maybe once the buzz is over and other manufacturers release competitive products, the prices will be more sane. My theory is that Nissan deliberately "underpriced" the car to generate tons of interest. The catch being that supply is so low, nobody will be able to get it for that "low" price.

Originally Posted by fjs (Post 3984)
Well, I hate to say it but the only way to get one of these is if you are willing to pay a huge markup (my guess is $30k). If you know a dealership that will sell you one anywhere close to MSRP, jump at it! IMO, there won't be any, 1500 cars and roughly 1000 dealerships. Not to mention some dealerships won't even get one. And even the bigger dealerships will only get few units for the whole year!

On top of all, if the weak dollars continue, which it probably will. Who knows how many will be shipped out...

So nothing against the original poster but it's not hilarious anymore. It's reality.

CharlesJ 11-28-2007 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by fjs (Post 3984)

Its only hilarious because there are plenty not marking them up that far. Hilarious is especially one user that noted a 60k markup. IMO, 20K is where it becomes ridiculous on a 70k car. Those are the type of markups you see on 500/year exotics.

Additionally, i bet they will make more when they are sure of demand. Everyone freaked out about the elise making for 1 year plus wait lists right off the start and big markups. Once they started to hit our shores, Lotus ramped up production, and very quickly you could find them in stock at msrp.

EmilGH 11-28-2007 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 3987)
Everyone freaked out about the elise making for 1 year plus wait lists right off the start and big markups. Once they started to hit our shores, Lotus ramped up production, and very quickly you could find them in stock at msrp.

...and that was during the beginning of the dollar's slide against the Euro. They priced the car low, lost out on the dollar's slide... amped production to recover the loss forcing dealers to buy a lot of inventory (which they were happy to do because of the initial crazy demand). Now, they cannot give them away. Manhattan Motor Cars has quite a few Elises (brand new) sitting on the 4th floor. You can probably get a 10% to 15% discount on them.

In other news, I hear that Scuderias are already being traded at 100k over. Half the price and 4 less cylinders than an Enzo... with the same performance. Seems like a bargain.

darstar007 11-28-2007 01:34 PM

The buzz on the GT-R is so intense, I think it will be different than those examples mentioned. Every time I hang out at the magazine rack these days looking at car mags, I run across a dozen people who are "gonna get it when the price comes down". With 1500 cars produced, the demand will be astronomical. I'll be happy to see the first verifiable example where someone gets this car and doesn't pay at least $20K over MSRP.

GTRcHaRgEr 11-29-2007 02:06 AM

The Nissan in my city is saying there only marking it up 2995 or so over msrp!

darstar007 11-29-2007 10:08 AM

I can't imagine Alaska getting more than a handful of GT-Rs, so that would be truly amazing.

TwiBlueG35 11-29-2007 12:43 PM

Nissan has spent so much time and money and effort into making this car, don't tell me they don't want to make money off it. Selling 1500 units of a $70k car in the biggest automobile market of the world won't justify the development cost. This 1500 units hype is just to draw more attention and test the market in a way and I believe they would actually sell only 1500 units for this year. But next year Nissan will jack up the production drastically because eventually the reason of doing business is making profits. Lexus LS and Nissan GT-R are in the same price range, look at how many LSs Lexus sold every month, around 2000 to 3000 units, that is approximately 30000 units a year. Although I understand you can't compare sedan to coupe, it still tell you many many people are able and willing to take out $70k out of their bank account to buy a nice car. Therefore, I think there is no reason for Nissan to limit the production if there is demand. At least 3000 units next year, if not 5000.

darstar007 11-29-2007 01:15 PM

Right. It's going to be a waiting game.

CharlesJ 11-30-2007 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by GTRcHaRgEr (Post 3990)
The Nissan in my city is saying there only marking it up 2995 or so over msrp!

Now that is very reasonable. Post it up in the MSRP thread as that is close enough

NERDJustBNME 11-30-2007 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by rodel12 (Post 3916)
I'm not very educated with how dealers work and how they can justify marking up the GT-R so much. Is it really that costly for dealers obtain such car?

When I was in the market for the Subaru STI or the EVO back in 2004, I thought the $5K mark up I've seen was crazy... now it is way over that!

Before a Nissan dealer can sell a GT-R that store has to be certified. There has to be an sales consultant trained about the GT-R, an ASE Certified/Nissan Master Tech and Service Manager training as well. Other costs incurred are having the proper equipment in your shop to service the GT-R. Having the proper lift in order to mount and balance tires is essential. Overall costs of training and equipment is right at $45K. Now weight in the fact that most dealers are only being allocated 2 or 3 GT-R's total for the year! So why not mark it up to try to at least cover the expenses in just being "certified." I agree that $60K is a bit extreme but that's in California....home of the Google millionaires...lol. Here in Virginia we would be laughed at and cussed out all day. With the clients (3 so far) I've had we've managed to come to a happy medium. The clientel I've had that has been serious enough about owning a GT-R are willing to pay over sticker because they see the value/exclusivity in owning a GT-R. Hopefully this shines some light onto why most dealers are marking up the GT-R. I'm a newbie so if I crossed any lines be easy ok.....thanks.....

EmilGH 12-01-2007 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by NERDJustBNME (Post 4007)
Before a Nissan dealer can sell a GT-R that store has to be certified. There has to be an sales consultant trained about the GT-R, an ASE Certified/Nissan Master Tech and Service Manager training as well. Other costs incurred are having the proper equipment in your shop to service the GT-R. Having the proper lift in order to mount and balance tires is essential. Overall costs of training and equipment is right at $45K. Now weight in the fact that most dealers are only being allocated 2 or 3 GT-R's total for the year! So why not mark it up to try to at least cover the expenses in just being "certified." I agree that $60K is a bit extreme but that's in California....home of the Google millionaires...lol. Here in Virginia we would be laughed at and cussed out all day. With the clients (3 so far) I've had we've managed to come to a happy medium. The clientel I've had that has been serious enough about owning a GT-R are willing to pay over sticker because they see the value/exclusivity in owning a GT-R. Hopefully this shines some light onto why most dealers are marking up the GT-R. I'm a newbie so if I crossed any lines be easy ok.....thanks.....

Virginia used to have the AOL millionaires. But that didn't mean anyone was paying up on anything! :)

I'll pay over for a GTR the same amount I'm paying for the Scuderia!

darstar007 12-01-2007 10:10 AM

Very understandable. In this case, I fault Nissan (not the dealers) for dishonestly undervalueing the MSRP. You are sooo right about the Google millionaires out here....way too much disposable income.

Originally Posted by NERDJustBNME (Post 4007)

neoseven 12-02-2007 11:32 PM

New to this forum so hi everyone. So you know a little about me at least in the car sense, I currently own a 94 RX-7 (weekend driver and show car), and a 99 Silvia fully prepped as a race car.
I have been watching the development of the GTR for some time now and trying to make the decision as to whether this was the car for me. Now that I have seen the final direction of this car, I realize it is, and will be the next car I buy. Like they are advertising it, anyone, anywhere, anytime. Yes, that works for me. I can easily see a nice Silver or White GTR with my snowboards on a roof rack headed up to the mountains in the winter, yet equally capable of pulling a sub 1:32 at Laguna Seca. Plus, the car will allow me to double my track time, competing in two different classes for each weekend. I was initially not sure about the styling of the car, it is hard to tell in photographs. But as I stood in front of it in the San Franscisco Auto Show last Thursday, all those doubts melted away. It is something to see in person and I can see and appreciate the direction Nissan was going with the looks on this car.
Will I pay the absurd markup the dealers will initially want. No I will not. If everyone took that same position, that markup would go away. Sadly, there are enough people out there with more money than sense who will pay that markup and as long as that is the case, these dealers are going to be able to pocket a nice fat bonus on each GTR they sell. That however will change once Nissan finds a way to bring those production numbers up. Allowing your dealers (that are independently owned) to pocket all that extra cash because you undershot the market demand for your product is just not smart business and Mr. Ghosn is a smart man. If you have 3000 customers waiting every year for a product you are only making 1500 of, you are losing a lot of income. It won't be long before Nissan takes action on this (they already are experiencing this in the Japanese domestic market where they also did not correctly estimate the demand for this car). To me it is just a matter of supply and demand. The demand is there, so as long as Nissan increases the supply to meet that demand, the pricing will fall in line. Until that time, we will just have to wait for the "have to have it, have to have it now at any price" crew to get their fill before the rest of us can get our GTR.

darstar007 12-03-2007 11:05 AM

I'm not so sure Nissan will ever make a car comparable to a GT3 like the GT-R available at the $70K price we are hoping for. It seems more like a marketing ploy more than anything.

otakm45 12-03-2007 06:35 PM

Wow!!

LOL this is just crazy you guys have to see this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...em150190064468. Itīs pretty crazy also that I live about 5 mins from the dealer was there last week and as per the sales rep there they arent taking any orders so I donīt know wtf these retards are doing. Sorry it just pisses me off to see stuff like this. Enjoy you guys!!

:mad:

sentrazac 12-05-2007 04:39 PM

Looks like the ebay listing was removed already... I imagine it was an auction to be able to order a GTR?

As far as crazy markups, I can't even get a dealer around here (San Diego, Orange & Riverside counties of So Cal) to take a pre-order or tell me when they'll have one. I might be willing to pay 5k over, but that's about as far as I'd really go.