General General forums for the GTR community.

Metro Detroit GTR shopping

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:09 AM

Metro Detroit GTR shopping

Hello, I'm a new sign-up and have an interest in the GTR. I found my shopping experience so hilarious in the local area that I thought I'd share it with you to start my involvement here. I called the six dealers within 100 miles of me. I'm going in with an open mind but I had a run in with a dealer over a 350Z back in the day of it's higher demand.

Sterling Nissan Sales -- Sterling Heights, MI
Salesperson was cordial. She first told me that the cars would be a minimum of $20,000 over invoice sticker. I asked if she meant invoice, or window sticker, and then she said window sticker (MSRP). I continued to engage her, and she told me then, it was a minimum of $30,000 over MSRP, with a $20,000 deposit. I asked about their allocation, and they said one unit only, and every dealer in the US was only getting one unit regardless of anything else. Then, the story changed to $30,000 over MSRP, a $30,000 deposit, and then I would have to bid for the one unit they had, and no bids would be accepted at less than $30,000 over MSRP. When I indicated some dealers had multiple units, they said all other dealers had lied, and if I wanted the truth about anything, I could always call them. I politely told them thank you and goodbye.

Suburban Nissan -- Troy, MI
3 cars allocated, $5,000 over sticker. All sold, about 10 people in line. Will not take additional preorders. Very nice on the phone and found the store about Sterling a real gutbuster.

Tamaroff Nissan -- Southfield, MI
Receiving one, they think. They had despoits (of $1,000) and refunded them all. They are lacking information and has essentially decided not to take any orders for the car until information solidifies. They know that the possibility of flipping the car is high and they frankly are not welcoming the opportunity to get mixed up in something like that.

Suburban Imports -- Farmington Hills, MI
Have no idea on allocation. $5,000 over sticker. Have taken 10-12 deposits and will not take anymore because they know they may not be able to fill that in even a year.

**** Scott Nissan -- Canton, MI
$20,000 deposit that will handle the 'adjustment in market value'. This does mean they are charging $20,000 over sticker. They claim that the state of michigan (these dealers) have 8. They have 2. They will take a deposit now and order an exact configuration, and spoke very disparagingly about the dealers in the area who are charging less of a premium. They claim those dealers will order cars however they want and go down the list, offering it to people and give it to the first yes in line. They were the friendliest on the phone and realize they are charging a premium. They spoke at length about the $50,000 in costs to get set up to sell the car and they want to make that money back, etc. etc. But I had confidence if I was willing to pay $91k they would take care of me.

Nissan of North Olmstead -- North Olmstead, OH
3 allocated, 2 sold, 1 remains, $15,000 over list. They can order to spec on the one remaining.

So, there you have it. I hope the information is valuable for those in Metro Detroit, as I'm sure I'll bow out rather than pay these type of premiums at this time. Detroit's automotive industry and the lean towards domestics, as well as our potholes, makes Z sales slower here, and has no doubt resulted in lower allocations around here. The handling of the sales from dealer to dealer is remarkably different, and absolutely embarrassing for some (the first one on this list comes to mind).

I'll be hanging around

-Dan
Old 03-11-2008, 09:22 AM
GTR Senior Member

thanks for the detailed accounts, i appreciate reading it even though i'm no where near detroit

welcome to the site, keep looking around, and enjoy

best,

-Matt
Old 03-13-2008, 05:12 PM

I remember when I was calling around, one woman at an Arizona dealer tried telling me that EVERY dealer in Arizona was charging the same $12k markup. That was the first dealer in AZ that I called, but after calling a few more, I found that they were the most expensive one of the ones that I called. Such a joke.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:29 PM
GTR Senior Member

Dealerships...stealerships...
Old 03-13-2008, 05:45 PM
GTRForums Staff

Probably better off out of such a large city.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:13 PM
GTR Senior Member

i wish that we had a map of the US color coded with GT-R allocations

that would be cool to look at