General General forums for the GTR community.

How long before MSRP becomes a norm?

Old 03-10-2008, 04:41 AM

How long before MSRP becomes a norm?

Hey guys,

When do you think GT-R will become readily available so I don't have to pay over MSRP? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:33 AM
GTR Member

Unfortunately only after all of the people that have the money and are willing to pay the mark-ups are done. With the limited production numbers that could mean never. I will not pay over MSRP. So I have braced myself to the possibility of not having the pleasure of owning one.

Some people have claimed to have found them at MSRP or very close but I haven't found one and most will not share where they found them. It is all a bit frustrating to me.

I wish you luck,

-Nate
Old 03-10-2008, 09:19 AM
GTR Senior Member

yeah, its really too early to tell

we need to see how/if nissan can handle markup, and then it obviously depends on how many make it over here

and how many years they sell them for

time will tell,

thats not what you're looking for, but we just dont know yet
Old 03-10-2008, 10:43 AM
GTR Member

I do not think it will ever get to MSRP, if they keep these production levels. Just like buying a 911 Turbo or GT3, you pay what the dealer tells you to pay.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:47 AM
spt
GTR Senior Member

You can actually get them at msrp right now. You just have to find the right dealer to sell it to you. Carmax is one. They are not allowed to markup cars so if you can find a spot available they will sell it to you at MSRP or even $100 below.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:17 AM
GTR Senior Member

thats cool Ali, i didn't know that it was possible to get one through carmax. i would imagine that it's hard to get a spot

as an aside, i don't see why people are mad about markups, that's how the free market works. if people will buy it for whatever price, then that's at least it's value to them

sure, it shuts some people out, but there are people shut out of markets for certain things all the time. the economy works because there is a shortage of desirable and excludable goods
Old 03-10-2008, 12:14 PM
spt
GTR Senior Member

I agree that it's a free market, but I think there are some limits that people should ethically follow. I mean markups of 10 - 30k are fine and I really can't argue with that, but I think the ones charging 30k + are the ones that are really taking advantage. I actually find it kind of funny that many dealerships spend so much $$ trying to earn a customers trust and try to prove that they are a honest dealer. Then as soon as the GTR comes out the same dealers turn around and try to get 30k+ for a car over sticker and do so with a smile on their face. To me that isn't honest business.

As far as getting mad about it, you are completely correct, there's no point to it. I definitely think there will be a time when these cars will sell at MSRP or even below. Patience is the key.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:28 PM
GTR Member

In my own, non expertise, opinion you may be able to find the car at MSRP in about 2-3 years. It is mostly on you, your own work and findings will tell when you get the car at the price you want.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:30 PM
GTR Senior Member

Just be patient and this whole hysteria over markups will fade into the past and become a "remember when" story. It happens for nearly every limited sports car.

As Ali says, you can get one at MSRP now, but this requires much legwork and often inside dealings. People are getting them, but also delivery dates for these cars are not absolutely known or guaranteed. Some will get their cars by June, some may have to wait for 1 year to get their pre-order filled.

What is often overlooked is the secondary flipping market that will only continue what some of the dealers are doing, ie, marking up the cars.

In this way, MSRP may not be seen for years if delivery wait lists mount up beyond 1 year. People with the money and no patience will simply pay for a flipped car immediately available without a wait.

Also, most stories lately are for only 10,000 markups. 30k markups are apparently not very common and overstated. Honestly, 10k isn't that much of a markup. If you can afford a $70,000 car, more than likely you can afford an $80,000 car and even more, hence the "market adjustments." People are out there paying the extra $10,000. And even those people may not see their car for a year.

I guess if you haven't jumped in early with a relationship with a dealer to get that inside deal or have gotten on the first allocation list, you may be SOL for a while. Nissan simply isn't mass-producing the GT-R like Altimas and they never will. It's Nissan's exclusive sports car icon and they intend to keep it this way.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:08 PM
GTR Senior Member

yeah, i agree, dealer honesty is of primary importance

although i wonder why any dealer would jump to stock any of them.

i've heard that it takes $300k in upgrades and training to be able to provide service to a GT-R.

maybe this number is false. but if not, then it must mean that the dealer expects selling a few GT-R's to bring in enough extra profit to make it worth the investment.

anyone have concrete knowledge to this end?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How long before MSRP becomes a norm?