General General forums for the GTR community.

Declining GTR production

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:16 AM
kcp

Originally Posted by darstar007
How many GT-Rs do you think will exist in your dealership's metro area through Nissan's limited run then???? You are selling 3 this year and you suggest that will diminish over time. So after 5 years you will have, what, around 8 GT-Rs which your service department will have to service per year? Seems like an awful waste based on all the equipment and training involved....

You are correct, there will not be much return on investment. That is why out of over 1100 nissan dealers in the country only 700-800 opted to incur the cost of carrying the GTR. For me personally, it is about the pride of being a GTR dealer. I love cars, and I am like a kid in a candy store waiting for the first one to arrive at the dealership. I am sure many of the dealers that are selling them feel the same way I do. I am even considering buying one myself.....at $10,000 over MSRP.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:01 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by kcp
. I am even considering buying one myself.....at $10,000 over MSRP.
You sly poots. Back to matters I happen to agree with kcp, the simple fact that being a GTR dealership adds credibility to the business they are doing. It could sway buyers to looking their way more.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:11 AM
GTR Member

A GT-R dealership where you NEVER see a GT-R on its lot because it has been sold way before it was even built???? Not sure 99% of the public will catch on to it. I think everyone on this forum loves cars too, btw. I'm still not naive enough to believe dealerships will trade cash for pride anytime soon. There must be a business-model argument that comes into play where the manufacturer AND the dealer win out and the consumer takes it on the chin.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:19 AM
GTR Senior Member

^^^^

the dealer wins? and the consumer takes it on the chin?

what about the training costs and the extra tools needed?

i think that the dealers are still taking a loss.

companies are about the big picture. with each Veyron sold VW loses hundreds of thousands
Old 02-28-2008, 11:28 AM
GTR Member

Then why would a dealer opt to sell the GT-R????? I know out here in California, car dealers do NOT operate at a loss.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:58 AM
kcp

Originally Posted by darstar007
A GT-R dealership where you NEVER see a GT-R on its lot because it has been sold way before it was even built???? Not sure 99% of the public will catch on to it. I think everyone on this forum loves cars too, btw. I'm still not naive enough to believe dealerships will trade cash for pride anytime soon. There must be a business-model argument that comes into play where the manufacturer AND the dealer win out and the consumer takes it on the chin.

With the amount of information that is available to the consumer today there is no reason for anyone to "take it on the chin". With 5 minutes of online investigation one can find MSRP, invoice, any current incentives and interest rates as well as other financial information. It really isn't that difficult. And if one feels that they are not being treated fairly there is a very simple solution.....go to another dealership. The truth of the matter is most people who work at "stealerships" are simply hard working middle class people who are trying to provide for themselves and their families. Probably not much different from most of the people on this message board. This is my $.02.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:19 PM
GTR Member

In 5 minutes you can find a GTR for MSRP???? The part of the problem with this car is that the scarcity and hype makes finding a bargain difficult. Yeah, I could put by family and job aside for a week and drive it back from Louisiana to Cali, but that seems like a hassle that only the most dedicated fans would be willing to encumber (more power to them).

We could argue about the whole system of US car dealerships, but that's really beyond anything I want to bother with. I will say that I find the system to be part of the problem, not the people trying to make a living in it.