General General forums for the GTR community.

Declining GTR production

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:19 AM
kcp

Declining GTR production

It was announced at a recent meeting by a high ranking Nissan employee that they are currently planning 5 years of GTR sales in the U.S., with the units decreasing yearly. 2009 production should be around 2000 with that number dwindling every year until 2013 when only about 500 will be brought over. Anyone who is thinking Nissan is going to ramp up production and that it will be easier to get one later may need to reconsider.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:31 AM
GTR Member

I also heard about this from a Nissan rep once i placed my order for the car. The meeting was held earlier this week with the owners of Nissan dealers. I agree with KCP, those of you waiting for the car to come down may want to reconsider in the near future what you would like to do. In addition those of you who are ordered the Super Silver paint and/or Cold Weather Package may want to call and talk to the sales rep who sold you the car, I hear they are having slow downs in production for those two items. Normal packages are produced without a problem.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:32 AM

Last edited by hexgtr; 02-27-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:53 AM
spt
GTR Senior Member

Does anyone else think it's too early for Nissan to make that decision? I'm not questioning the legitimacy of what you are saying, I'm just thinking that even with this info being true the numbers could probably change depending on demand.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:59 AM
kcp

The super silver is only allowed at 25% of allocation. In other words, only 1 out of every 4 can get this paint. Super silver allocation for the first two months production is already used up, so yes, if you want that color you are going to have to wait longer to get the car than if you choose any of the other colors. I haven't heard anything about cold weather package slowing anyone down, but it should be known that if you get the cold weather package you will be getting the silver wheels instead of the gray. In my opinion they don't look as good. Also the tires on the cold weather package will not allow you to reach the announced performance figures.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:06 AM
kcp

The numbers could always change, but that is what we are being told by Nissan at this point. And this is very legitimate info. I was at the meeting. It was explained to us that this car is not a money making proposition for Nissan and that they probably wouldn't even break even on the costs of bringing it to market. It is a halo car that will hopefully enhance the brand image of Nissan as a whole.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:22 PM
GTR Member

Very interesting.. i really hope ill be able to get mine in this december. I actually hope this is true so this will be a rare car, and we will be the few with them.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by spt
Does anyone else think it's too early for Nissan to make that decision? I'm not questioning the legitimacy of what you are saying, I'm just thinking that even with this info being true the numbers could probably change depending on demand.
I THINK those are dealers trying to make the 20k "mark up" reasnoable :P

________
CRF450

Last edited by althani; 01-18-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:28 PM
GTR Senior Member

i think that we'll just have to wait and see

there have been lots of rumors surrounding this car for the past several years

there will continue to be rumors throughout its entire production life

Time will tell
Old 02-27-2008, 01:41 PM
GTR Member

Seems like a waste for them to spend considerable money investing in equipment specially designed for handling the GT-R at stealerships across the country only to have a dozen or so around per metro area. I'd be skeptical about any "reports" about diminishing production right now. It seems obvious that that would be a great ploy to build up the frenzy even more and subsequently jack up the prices in the first year. My $.02

Quick Reply: Declining GTR production