General General forums for the GTR community.

Daily Driver?

Old 05-22-2007, 05:12 AM

Daily Driver?

Will the new GTR be more of a daily driver than a corvette, or will it be so limited that most of you will have a second car?
Old 05-22-2007, 12:55 PM
GTR Senior Member

i'm certain you can drive it daily as it will be a GT car. GT cars are sort of a cross between a true sports car, as in the case of a Corvette, and a more comfortable car for touring. hence "Gran Tourismo."

my only issues would be fuel economy and wear and tear. i wouldn't drive my GT-R to get some milk and eggs by parking it next to other mini-vans and SUVs in cramped parking lots. forget it. and i doubt the GT-R will get very good mileage.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:34 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by bonzelite
i'm certain you can drive it daily as it will be a GT car. GT cars are sort of a cross between a true sports car, as in the case of a Corvette, and a more comfortable car for touring. hence "Gran Tourismo."

my only issues would be fuel economy and wear and tear. i wouldn't drive my GT-R to get some milk and eggs by parking it next to other mini-vans and SUVs in cramped parking lots. forget it. and i doubt the GT-R will get very good mileage.

I agree I will drive it just about the same as I would my Z06, on nice days, not in winter ( live in the NE ) and not in cramped parking lots or where jealous people like to tear into other peoples cars. I plan on tracking the GT-R but still keeping it streetable. Performance upgrades as soon as more info and parts hit the US. I like to keep my cars in nice condition but I also like to drive them..not look at them.

As far as fuel economy I think it will be on par or maybe less than an Evo which is not very good.....other than that I think it will be a pleasure to drive daily.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:44 AM
GTR Senior Member

yes, agreed.

as well, just to add to our discourse, most high-performance cars of any configuration, be it sedan or coupe or truck, will most typically feature a highly compromised fuel economy for performance gains. take a look at how a Ferrari does on MPG --they are just horrible. all of them are similar: Aston Martin DB9 or V8 Vantage gets like 12MPG city 19MPG highway. the older GT-Rs are almost as bad. they guzzle gas like drinking water. and are expensive to maintain.

another overlooked thing arises: lots of people will chastise and demean the SUV owner, the one with a Hummer or Escalade, as these beasts are environmentally improper, gratuitous, lumbering symbols of corruption and big oil cartels --when actually owning a sexy exotic high performance sports car is nearly the same!!! if not worse!!
Old 05-23-2007, 10:58 PM
GTR Member

yes, agreed.

as well, just to add to our discourse, most high-performance cars of any configuration, be it sedan or coupe or truck, will most typically feature a highly compromised fuel economy for performance gains. take a look at how a Ferrari does on MPG --they are just horrible. all of them are similar: Aston Martin DB9 or V8 Vantage gets like 12MPG city 19MPG highway. the older GT-Rs are almost as bad. they guzzle gas like drinking water. and are expensive to maintain.

another overlooked thing arises: lots of people will chastise and demean the SUV owner, the one with a Hummer or Escalade, as these beasts are environmentally improper, gratuitous, lumbering symbols of corruption and big oil cartels --when actually owning a sexy exotic high performance sports car is nearly the same!!! if not worse!!
Again I agree. It is funny how some of the Hollywood, tree huger activists set ***** about SUV's and like but own all kinds of exotics which guzzle gas at the same rate or worse.

BTW thats the one thing thats amazing about my 07 Z06. The MPG. I'm seeing is 19 to 20 city and 24 - 26 highway when driving normal.....not getting on it ....but then again thats not very often
Old 05-24-2007, 03:53 AM
GTR Senior Member

wow your Z06 gets better than my GTO w/the LS2. i get about 15 city and at best about 24 hwy. about same hwy as you but not city. LA is cruel.

i get optimum mileage hwy between 60 and 70MPH but seldom stay at those speeds. the GTO cruises as if it doesn't matter at around 100MPH. feels like 65MPH at 100. then slowing to 65 feels like the car is going about 35MPH. gotta love the LS2.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:47 PM
GTR Member

wow your Z06 gets better than my GTO w/the LS2. i get about 15 city and at best about 24 hwy. about same hwy as you but not city. LA is cruel.

i get optimum mileage hwy between 60 and 70MPH but seldom stay at those speeds. the GTO cruises as if it doesn't matter at around 100MPH. feels like 65MPH at 100. then slowing to 65 feels like the car is going about 35MPH. gotta love the LS2.
Yeh gets great gas mileage....GM did something right with this car....kinda like when I had my Porsche. The more I drive it the better I like it and that is quite different from a car that you like when you first get it and then it is all down hill from there and a year later your looking to sell it.

Ha LA is for sure very cruel. I lived out there for about six months and I would rather drive in Manhattan any day.

I know what you mean, some times when I'm driving on the hwy in the Z and just day dreaming..I look down and I'm at 90mph and it feels like 50! I Found a long straight hwy..the other night no other cars in site and I wanted to bring her up to about 165mph just to see how the car felt at that speed and I have to say it got there quick and without any drama but when I brought it back down to 65 it felt like I'm crawling lol.

Buddy of mines got a TT GTO with a built bottom end and that car is very fast! Love the sound. Car ran a 11.2 @ 128 last year before he built the motor and he was on street tires so lots of spin. Should be faster this season.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:00 AM
GTR Senior Member

ran 11.2 ?! holy ***** WTF before he turbo'd it? you serious? or just before he built it? he stroked it, yes?

i think the Corvette being much lighter gets better city MPG. that must be why.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:07 PM
GTR Member

ran 11.2 ?! holy ***** WTF before he turbo'd it? you serious? or just before he built it? he stroked it, yes?

i think the Corvette being much lighter gets better city MPG. that must be why.

Last year he had the STS turbo system and exhaust, cam etc.....but this year he is running on a fully built motor. Can't wait to see what he gets out of her at the track this year. Also I love the way it sounds when the turbo spools on that car. I think the GTO is an overlooked good bang for the buck car that got a bad rep for being a little overweight....kinda like me LOL.

I think that is one reason the Z gets good MPG for sure. Z weighs in at like 3052lbs I think. That is of course without my fat in it.

I'm hoping the GT-R comes in at under 3350lbs. I would be OK with that...heck the Evo I have is at about 3300lbs and with 540 Crank hp on the 93oct "street tune" (20psi ) form a 40mph roll to 120mph against my stock Z06 the Evo pulled on the Z by about 1-1/2 cars lengths then the Z starts to catch up. Evo is not geared for top end. I know the GT-R will not put down 530 in stock form but I thought it would be at least a decent comparision AWD vs RWD. Corvette spins a little at 40 and the Evo has a little turbo lag so pretty even IMO on the take off.....it was fun to compare the two. On the 100oct tune (26psi) 640hp The Evo just walks away form the Z and on C-16 ( 38psi ) 820hp well.... that wouldn't even be a race as the Evo has the ability to run 9's @ 150mph .....but next week I'm getting a intake and tune on the Z and it should pick up about 30hp or so. I will run the Z against the Evo on pump and see if it is a closer race as I'm getting better at driving the Z. I had the Z only 3 days when we did the 1st Evo vs Z06 )run. I have to say I like AWD better than RWD but I am starting to get used to the Z and I think it offers a different driving experience than AWD that I'm also starting to like. I'm trying to get to a driving school that specializes in Corvettes called "Spring Mountain" near Las Vegas...hear it is a great school. I want to feel confident in driving a RWD car and I think that would do it for me....as I'm not a bad driver already but it has been awhile since I road raced....so got to brush up on a few things.....before the GT-R gets here. I really want to track that car but retain streetability.

Sorry for the long thread but I felt like talking cars tonight.

Last edited by 08Skygtr; 05-25-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:50 PM
GTR Senior Member

keep it up, mate. the more car talk the better. please continue.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Daily Driver?