General General forums for the GTR community.

Cold weather package vs. Standard

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 01:43 PM

Cold weather package vs. Standard

Anyone have any idea what the high luster silver wheel finish (Front and rear all seasons tires with 255 mm tire width and 40% tire profile run flat) on the cold weather package looks like? Also, if I opt for the standard wheels / tires would I be able to put snow tires on if need be? Not sure how that works with the nitrogen-filled tires.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:29 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by gogoevo
Also, if I opt for the standard wheels / tires would I be able to put snow tires on if need be? Not sure how that works with the nitrogen-filled tires.

Thanks.
Nitrogen filled tires (as far as I know) have nothing to do with whether or not you can run snow tires. In fact, you can get nitrogen filled tires as an option at many wheel/tire dealerships.

The problem that you'll likely have is that there won't be a lot of options in that wheel/tire size as far as snow tires are concerned...there will be a few choices, but at a premium.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:55 PM

Thanks Winkie.

Actually, I am more curious about the wheels. Are the wheels that we see every day on the GT-R the only option as far anyone knows? My local dealer doesn't seem to have a clue. I cant seem to find any definitive google hits either.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:22 PM

Someone posted pics of the silver wheels from the CW package here.

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22096
Old 04-15-2008, 06:11 AM

Thanks Tye-Dyed
Old 04-15-2008, 10:59 AM
GTR Senior Member

good info
Old 04-15-2008, 12:32 PM

The CWP consists of different wheels (Color only), Different tires, and Different Coolant/Water mix.

Note from NNA to dealers:

"Important Cold Weather Package Information!

As orders are rolling in, we’re noticing a high penetration of the Cold Weather Package. This is not an appropriate package to put on vehicles intended for warm weather locations. To help clarify, here’s a description of what is in the cold weather package:

-Winter mix of coolant/water (50/50 mix). This is not an appropriate coolant mix for proper operation if the vehicle is to be operated in warm weather. If so, the coolant mix will need to be replaced with standard mix of 30/70 coolant/water to preserve performance.

-All-season tires. Optimal advertised all-around performance is derived only with the summer tires. Use of all-season tires will not yield announced performance numbers. Although the all-season tires are of high quality, they do not deliver performance equal to the summer performance tires.

-Silver wheels. The High Luster Smoke Gray Wheels are actually the premium wheels provided with the GT-R, not the silver wheels in the Cold Weather Package.

intention with the cold weather package was to support the “Anyone, anytime, anywhere” idea of having the ability to drive the vehicle in the snow, etc. Most customers who will be purchasing this vehicle for TRUE performance will not be receiving optimal performance with this cold weather package.

Where needed, please counsel with your customers to make sure they understand their order fully. A “fully loaded” vehicle doesn’t mean that it has to include this package. This package is not meant to be a “bonus,” it’s meant to be an ALTERNATIVE to facilitate operation in actual cold weather type conditions."
Old 04-15-2008, 02:04 PM

Well, I for one do not particularly like the CWP wheels. I hope for my sake I can get the "smoked grey wheels" with the all season tires. Otherwise I will have to shell out god knows how much for all season tires for the winter.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:49 PM

I knew Blizzak would come through

I have a set for my EVO and I love them!

Last edited by gogoevo; 04-15-2008 at 02:52 PM.