General General forums for the GTR community.

Can this be true...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:07 AM

I'm also wondering about all this as I'm waiting for my car very shortly too.

From the brochure, they show the test track and describe the break in nine laps. Plus, separately, they say that the engine is broken in on the bench at redline for 10 (TEN) minutes!

Since the engine has already been stressed considerably, I don't think a few hard runs would hurt the engine. The transmission is reported to be broken in on those test laps, but it seems like very minimal break in time to me (but I'm sure the test driver doesn't take it too easy on the car either). An advantage we have with the GTR is that the auto clutch along with traction control and the overall speed of the car should make violations by some dealer or his friend less damaging than someone hammering shifts in a full manual and burning a full manual clutch. Too, the massive speed (relatively speaking) could easily get them into trouble and may keep them in line somewhat as well, since they are unlikely to have much experience with this fast of a car. So, they may not push it that hard, and if they did they might wreck it with such a stunt?!? -- oh the horror... and then can you imaging them explaining to you that you'll have to wait for another car because of their joy ride!

However, if numerous people take the car out for multiple launches using launch control, that certainly couldn't be good for the clutch/ gear box. This is what I'd fear as most damaging to the car.

As for miles on the car: Another thing that might add miles would be if there were some problem or simply an adjustment that the made at the factory and had to take the car back out again. This might result in one car having more legitimate miles than another.

I keep telling myself all the above to account for any miles on the car if I'm not available to take delivery of the car and actually see it roll off the truck and then wait for its prep. However, I'm sure the cars will all have miles on them (and more than the average car) when delivered. Plus, the delivered miles won't have been easily driver either since they were specifically to break in the car. Lastely, the engine has already been pushed to the extreme. Nevertheless, I'm going to call my dealer and tell them I don't want anyone driving my car.

Mark

ps otakm45 if you get a VIN and any deliver info, let us know. Is there anyone around that can track the cars location, etc., i.e., ship departure date, ship name/ No., port date/ location?
Old 06-06-2008, 09:11 AM

if it is, ive waited long enough for some good pictures/videos from owners
Old 06-12-2008, 12:09 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by markwofford
I'm also wondering about all this as I'm waiting for my car very shortly too.

From the brochure, they show the test track and describe the break in nine laps. Plus, separately, they say that the engine is broken in on the bench at redline for 10 (TEN) minutes!

Since the engine has already been stressed considerably, I don't think a few hard runs would hurt the engine. The transmission is reported to be broken in on those test laps, but it seems like very minimal break in time to me (but I'm sure the test driver doesn't take it too easy on the car either). An advantage we have with the GTR is that the auto clutch along with traction control and the overall speed of the car should make violations by some dealer or his friend less damaging than someone hammering shifts in a full manual and burning a full manual clutch. Too, the massive speed (relatively speaking) could easily get them into trouble and may keep them in line somewhat as well, since they are unlikely to have much experience with this fast of a car. So, they may not push it that hard, and if they did they might wreck it with such a stunt?!? -- oh the horror... and then can you imaging them explaining to you that you'll have to wait for another car because of their joy ride!

However, if numerous people take the car out for multiple launches using launch control, that certainly couldn't be good for the clutch/ gear box. This is what I'd fear as most damaging to the car.

As for miles on the car: Another thing that might add miles would be if there were some problem or simply an adjustment that the made at the factory and had to take the car back out again. This might result in one car having more legitimate miles than another.

I keep telling myself all the above to account for any miles on the car if I'm not available to take delivery of the car and actually see it roll off the truck and then wait for its prep. However, I'm sure the cars will all have miles on them (and more than the average car) when delivered. Plus, the delivered miles won't have been easily driver either since they were specifically to break in the car. Lastely, the engine has already been pushed to the extreme. Nevertheless, I'm going to call my dealer and tell them I don't want anyone driving my car.

Mark

ps otakm45 if you get a VIN and any deliver info, let us know. Is there anyone around that can track the cars location, etc., i.e., ship departure date, ship name/ No., port date/ location?
Ok you guys to keep you up to date. I recvd the order confirmation NNA sends out to the dealers. My ETA date is the week of 7/25/08. I've read in other forums though that for a DB order#'s most probably i'll be receiving it the week of the 14th. So i'm basically pulling my hair because I want my damn car allready. By the way Mark status is SIT, production month was 5/2008, and shipping VPC:26.