GTR Forums - Nissan Skyline GT-R  Community

GTR Forums - Nissan Skyline GT-R Community (https://www.gtrforums.com/forums/)
-   General (https://www.gtrforums.com/forums/general-8/)
-   -   Can this be true... (https://www.gtrforums.com/forums/general-8/can-true-1171/)

otakm45 05-30-2008 02:05 PM

Can this be true...

I received a call from my dealer here in NYC that they have received word that the car should be coming in on June 10th. Is there any possibility that this could be true?

spt 05-30-2008 02:12 PM

To my understanding the cars can't be released until the sales people and mechanics go through "training" which is scheduled for late June early July. This came from a Nissan rep but it could be BS.

rmatt8748 05-30-2008 03:42 PM

Either way, it's getting really close.

I'm excited and I'm not even buying one (if only I had the money.)

otakm45 05-30-2008 04:02 PM

Exactly thats why when I heard my sales rep say that I went crazy. Another quick question is anyone who ordered there car afraid that before the car is given to the owner everyone and there mother will try the car out first. I was thinking about that, say the car comes in on the 10th and I don't get it till the 20th say all these mechanics and sales guy could beat the sh@t out of the car for 10 days. Do you think there is anyway to prevent this?

spt 05-30-2008 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by otakm45 (Post 6705)
Exactly thats why when I heard my sales rep say that I went crazy. Another quick question is anyone who ordered there car afraid that before the car is given to the owner everyone and there mother will try the car out first. I was thinking about that, say the car comes in on the 10th and I don't get it till the 20th say all these mechanics and sales guy could beat the sh@t out of the car for 10 days. Do you think there is anyway to prevent this?

You could probably request the dealer that you want to make sure your car isn't test driven by anyone but the manufacturer. Either way I wouldn't worry too much about it.

gogoevo 05-30-2008 09:36 PM

If you put a deposit down, and the financing is done, the car is sold and belongs to you. What's my point....keep an eye out! The dealers buddies just might what to cop-a-feel :(

Just a guess, but if there is more than 100 miles on the OD, the car may have been violated.

rmatt8748 06-01-2008 04:14 PM

Just a guess, but if there is more than 100 miles on the OD, the car may have been violated.
don't most new cars have less than 10, i guess there is the break in that nissan does, do they re-set the odo. after doing that?

a "new" car with 100 miles is very very questionable, i probably would refuse to take delivery on it and ask for another one

winkie 06-01-2008 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by rmatt8748 (Post 6722)
don't most new cars have less than 10, i guess there is the break in that nissan does, do they re-set the odo. after doing that?

a "new" car with 100 miles is very very questionable, i probably would refuse to take delivery on it and ask for another one

^^^ I agree....

otakm45 06-02-2008 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by rmatt8748 (Post 6722)

Also agree...

basicallyevolve 06-02-2008 02:51 PM

if the care has more then 10 miles, i wouldn't touch it. I also thought about this earlier because when i was going to purchase my BMW 540 it had 14 miles on it and i learned from my father then to refuse it. MY dad basically told the dealer to find him another one in the color i wanted because we would not take a car with 14 miles on it. 3~7 ish miles is perfect and if it has 7~10 i guess you could say the mechanic drove it just to see if its up to PAR from the training he received and what not. But again if it has over 10 i wouldn't touch it.

WHen i purchased my Evo 8 MR i became really good friends with my local dealer over time because i went there so much due to the MR tranny issues. I heard from the many employees there that they would take out the evolutions before they sold them they raped the **** out of them. One of the guys told me he took his son to Drive one and his son like raped it to see what it has and launched it and drove it crazy and burned clutch.

SO i know now that not to trust dealerships if the mileage is questionable.

I even called my dealership a few days ago and asked my saled person how many miles he thought the car should have, and he told me no more then 9 to 10 himself.

ty for reading

Catapult5 06-02-2008 05:23 PM

The difference between the GT-R and any other car is that as stated early, every GT-R is broken in at the factory track then re calibrated so it will most likely have more than 10 miles on it.

basicallyevolve 06-02-2008 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Catapult5 (Post 6732)
The difference between the GT-R and any other car is that as stated early, every GT-R is broken in at the factory track then re calibrated so it will most likely have more than 10 miles on it.

I can assure you that it will not have as many miles on it as you think it will. Even though the car is tested on a track they do not run 20 laps on it to make sure it is up to standards. It is a new car. I dont consider a car with 20-40 miles on it a new car. I think they might run a lap or two with an experienced driver who knows how the car should react and in between he or she will test the brakes and all other functions required

Catapult5 06-02-2008 07:04 PM

They do nine laps.

here is the link

basicallyevolve 06-02-2008 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Catapult5 (Post 6736)
They do nine laps.

here is the link

yeah sure.. 9 laps.. but laps could be 1/2 a mile each or 1 mile each. they dont have to be 2 or 4 miles each.

1 mile each lap is 9 miles.

rmatt8748 06-02-2008 07:47 PM

well, ok maybe gtr's have more miles than your average civic fresh from the factory, still 100 miles is way too much

also, do we know if they somehow reset after the testing? would that even make sense?

Catapult5 06-03-2008 07:45 AM

I can't find any articles on them reseting the odometer which I'm not sure would be legal. The dealer I bought from told me that no one was test driving a GT-R at any point.

rmatt8748 06-03-2008 08:33 PM

I can't find any articles on them reseting the odometer which I'm not sure would be legal. The dealer I bought from told me that no one was test driving a GT-R at any point.
yeah, true, and true for no test drives as well

Tye-Dyed 06-04-2008 07:28 AM

Two guys with new ones posted here (POST # 17):

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22890

The both had ~ 40-45 Km on the odometer

That is 24.8 - 27.9 Miles.

BTW: I cannot remember where I recall this from; however, I seem to think that there was 27Km of break-in laps (3Km/lap).

Yes I verified that on the Nissan GT-R website. Here is the quote:
" . . . undergoes an extensive track test to verify performance, setup the chassis, and in a mere 27 kilometers, fully break-in the engine . . ."

So that would mean that transport/prep only added 13 - 18 Km (8 - 11 miles) to the track miles.

Cheers.

otakm45 06-05-2008 11:21 AM

Just received call from dealer that I'll be getting my Vin number today or tomorrow.

EXTREME 06-06-2008 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by otakm45 (Post 6769)
Just received call from dealer that I'll be getting my Vin number today or tomorrow.

wow Congrat.:smilie_th
when they are supposed to deliver it?

markwofford 06-06-2008 09:07 AM

I'm also wondering about all this as I'm waiting for my car very shortly too.

From the brochure, they show the test track and describe the break in nine laps. Plus, separately, they say that the engine is broken in on the bench at redline for 10 (TEN) minutes!

Since the engine has already been stressed considerably, I don't think a few hard runs would hurt the engine. The transmission is reported to be broken in on those test laps, but it seems like very minimal break in time to me (but I'm sure the test driver doesn't take it too easy on the car either). An advantage we have with the GTR is that the auto clutch along with traction control and the overall speed of the car should make violations by some dealer or his friend less damaging than someone hammering shifts in a full manual and burning a full manual clutch. Too, the massive speed (relatively speaking) could easily get them into trouble and may keep them in line somewhat as well, since they are unlikely to have much experience with this fast of a car. So, they may not push it that hard, and if they did they might wreck it with such a stunt?!? -- oh the horror... and then can you imaging them explaining to you that you'll have to wait for another car because of their joy ride!

However, if numerous people take the car out for multiple launches using launch control, that certainly couldn't be good for the clutch/ gear box. This is what I'd fear as most damaging to the car.

As for miles on the car: Another thing that might add miles would be if there were some problem or simply an adjustment that the made at the factory and had to take the car back out again. This might result in one car having more legitimate miles than another.

I keep telling myself all the above to account for any miles on the car if I'm not available to take delivery of the car and actually see it roll off the truck and then wait for its prep. However, I'm sure the cars will all have miles on them (and more than the average car) when delivered. Plus, the delivered miles won't have been easily driver either since they were specifically to break in the car. Lastely, the engine has already been pushed to the extreme. Nevertheless, I'm going to call my dealer and tell them I don't want anyone driving my car.

Mark

ps otakm45 if you get a VIN and any deliver info, let us know. Is there anyone around that can track the cars location, etc., i.e., ship departure date, ship name/ No., port date/ location?

captain ron 06-06-2008 09:11 AM

if it is, ive waited long enough for some good pictures/videos from owners

otakm45 06-12-2008 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by markwofford (Post 6790)
I'm also wondering about all this as I'm waiting for my car very shortly too.

From the brochure, they show the test track and describe the break in nine laps. Plus, separately, they say that the engine is broken in on the bench at redline for 10 (TEN) minutes!

Since the engine has already been stressed considerably, I don't think a few hard runs would hurt the engine. The transmission is reported to be broken in on those test laps, but it seems like very minimal break in time to me (but I'm sure the test driver doesn't take it too easy on the car either). An advantage we have with the GTR is that the auto clutch along with traction control and the overall speed of the car should make violations by some dealer or his friend less damaging than someone hammering shifts in a full manual and burning a full manual clutch. Too, the massive speed (relatively speaking) could easily get them into trouble and may keep them in line somewhat as well, since they are unlikely to have much experience with this fast of a car. So, they may not push it that hard, and if they did they might wreck it with such a stunt?!? -- oh the horror... and then can you imaging them explaining to you that you'll have to wait for another car because of their joy ride!

However, if numerous people take the car out for multiple launches using launch control, that certainly couldn't be good for the clutch/ gear box. This is what I'd fear as most damaging to the car.

As for miles on the car: Another thing that might add miles would be if there were some problem or simply an adjustment that the made at the factory and had to take the car back out again. This might result in one car having more legitimate miles than another.

I keep telling myself all the above to account for any miles on the car if I'm not available to take delivery of the car and actually see it roll off the truck and then wait for its prep. However, I'm sure the cars will all have miles on them (and more than the average car) when delivered. Plus, the delivered miles won't have been easily driver either since they were specifically to break in the car. Lastely, the engine has already been pushed to the extreme. Nevertheless, I'm going to call my dealer and tell them I don't want anyone driving my car.

Mark

ps otakm45 if you get a VIN and any deliver info, let us know. Is there anyone around that can track the cars location, etc., i.e., ship departure date, ship name/ No., port date/ location?

Ok you guys to keep you up to date. I recvd the order confirmation NNA sends out to the dealers. My ETA date is the week of 7/25/08. I've read in other forums though that for a DB order#'s most probably i'll be receiving it the week of the 14th. So i'm basically pulling my hair because I want my damn car allready. By the way Mark status is SIT, production month was 5/2008, and shipping VPC:26.