General General forums for the GTR community.

Anyone seriously planning on buying the GT-R in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 11:51 PM
GTR Senior Member

Thumbs up updated Ferrari rule of thumb

OMG! i was wrong! the rule of thumb is drive a Ferrari 10 thousand miles = lose 20 thousand dollars!!! it's in the book!! take a look:

Keith Martin on Collecting Ferrari

it's a fascinating book for any import sport compact geek.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:27 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by bonzelite
OMG! i was wrong! the rule of thumb is drive a Ferrari 10 thousand miles = lose 20 thousand dollars!!! it's in the book!! take a look:

Keith Martin on Collecting Ferrari

it's a fascinating book for any import sport compact geek.

Getting off topic, but I'll have to wait to scrath that Ferrari itch until the time when I start using hundered dollar bills to wipe my A$$!

-AL
Old 01-15-2007, 10:37 AM
GTR Senior Member

exactly. the author suggests, seriously, that to get an idea of how it really is to own one, to go into a corner with a match and a sizable stack of 100s and begin burning them for no reason. however that feels is how it feels to have a ferrari.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:08 AM

imho a ford gt is the best daily driveable supercar.... because people have made parts for that motor since they started putting them in mustangs to drag race them.

anyway... i'm nervous about the motor in the new skyline people are popping built g35 turbos and 350z turbos all the time due to block failures.... so unless nissan sleeves the skyline stock... i don't think that 1000hp number a couple people have been throwing around will even be remotely possible

also... weisco and crower have low compression setup rods and pistons for testarossas.... i think a TT red head would be neato
Old 03-25-2007, 12:32 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by sumfoo1
anyway... i'm nervous about the motor in the new skyline people are popping built g35 turbos and 350z turbos all the time due to block failures.... so unless nissan sleeves the skyline stock... i don't think that 1000hp number a couple people have been throwing around will even be remotely possible
neither the V35 nor the Fairlady Z's engines were ever designed to be turbo'd. the GT-R's engine is designed from day one to be twin turbo'd. big difference. an engine specifically designed for turbo can be tuned beyond it's stock form to be an enormous power-handler.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:04 PM

i am not interested in buying a new GTR. i would rather try and get my hands on a R34.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:15 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by *Chris*
i am not interested in buying a new GTR. i would rather try and get my hands on a R34.

let me know how it went. post some pics when you get it. we're all waiting...
Old 04-19-2007, 11:17 PM
GTR Member

Probably gonna have to wait for a few years before you see many GT-Rs that get any kind of tuning.

Not many people will want to void the warranty on that kind of car right out of the box. Also I can imagine a blown engine would be a tad bit pricey. I believe the new GM LS7 is around $15k. Thats a single cam v-8 shipped from Detroit. The VQ37DETT will be swimming 8000 miles to get here, and it will be reflected in the price.

-AL
Old 05-21-2007, 06:12 PM

Hello everyone, a newb here...yeah yeah. Anyway, I am highly interested in a more if you will "raw" car to own once my lease is up on the 07 335i Coupe. It is a great car if any of you are interested! I have a few questions regarding the gtr:

does anyone feel it will be able to be driven in rain or snow? I have heard it will be AWD. I drove my bimmer in light light snow this winter and had no problems. My cousin used to own a corvette and said it was tough to handle in the rain.

does anyone know the price? I heard 60-80 straight from the nissan's dealers mouth...but as noted that leaves a large gap. I believe there will be 3 versions; GTR; V spec and Evo. I heard GTR and v spec will be same engine-same hp.

On a next note: I dont want to purchase a 75k car that wont beat the following (please provide your educated and informative responses):

Mustang Shelby GT500R

Porsche 911 Turbo

Porsche Boxster S

2009 Toyota Supra or FT-HS (400hp est./RWD/hybrid-gross!)

Corvette Z06

Now, theres been talk regarding the gtr beating the corvette z06. Is the one they raced the upper upper end Evo or Z-tune or just stock. If it is I should be satisfied.

Already saving my pennies
Old 06-22-2007, 01:53 PM

What do you mean by "beat?" Highway pulls, road courses, 1/4mile.....

Quick Reply: Anyone seriously planning on buying the GT-R in the US?