R32 | R33 | R34 Talk about R32, R33, & R34 topics in here.

Morimoto BI-LED M-LED 2.0 Projector & Profile Pivot DRL w/Custom Light Diffuser Tube

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 06:23 PM

Arrow Morimoto BI-LED M-LED 2.0 Projector & Profile Pivot DRL w/Custom Light Diffuser Tube

After having my car for 6 months, I've finally taken the first steps into replacing the terrible stock projectors. I also decided that while I've got the housing open, I wanted to try making some DRL light strips. I wanted the DRL to run along the top of the light and follow the curve of the hood to the bottom edge of the headlight housing.

I'm using the Morimoto BI-LED M-LED 2.0 projectors and 18 inch Profile Performance Pivot switchback LED strips.

I decided to make a custom light tube from acrylic. I've never done anything like this before, but figured for a few bucks, I'd give it a try. I bought a sheet of 55% transparent white acrylic, a heat gun from Harbor Freight and some small wood square strips from Home Depot. I'm thinking I'll pull off the included light diffusers that comes with the Profile Pivot strips and fill the tube with clear silicon caulking. I picked up some Gorilla glue contractor adhesive in clear that I plan to use to glue the DRL tubes to the light housings.

So far with testing the wiring for the new projector, it looks amazing. The difference....well, you can see in this picture:

And as for the acrylic tube, my first test bend was a major success.

I'll be taking more pictures and videos of the progress and will update when I have more done; however, I did make a video indicating the differences in the 2.0 version of the M-LED, because there are some major changes from the original 1.0 version.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:26 PM

Turns out with the way the housing is made, I wouldn't have enough room for a custom acrylic housing, so I just deleted that part and stuck the DRL strip directly to the edge of the glass. These pics don't do it justice, but this is what I got. I'll have a video soon with more details. I only have the one headlight done, because I had to modify the original projector housing. The aftermarket bracket I bought was made for a different style projector and wasn't large enough for me to modify.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:49 PM

Here's the video I made on how to remove the headlight from the car. It wasn't as easy as I had expected.