R32 | R33 | R34 Talk about R32, R33, & R34 topics in here.

american gt-r r32

Old 12-08-2006, 11:11 AM

american gt-r r32

hello all i was just wondering how many people on this forum in the u.s. have skyline r32"s
also how dificult was it to import it, and, lol, how much is your insurance
Old 12-15-2006, 10:21 PM
GTR Senior Member

secrets

i have one. gungrey R32GTR. is in pieces in the garage. was imported as a shell only. i must put it back together. car is banned from being imported as a complete car.

Last edited by bonzelite; 03-31-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:21 PM

just a question...but can't you buy one that was imported before the ban?
Old 01-05-2007, 09:28 PM
GTR Member

I posted this over on Fresh Alloy.

If you are new to Skylines Fresh Alloy webpage is a good resource. Just beware, there is a lot of B.S. out there. Go to the DOT and EPA pages for the real deal.

Basically, there are no RIs (registered importers) who have sucessfully imported a legal Skyline since the closure of MOTOREX. Only the R33 GTR still has a valid petition for a few model years, but only MOTOREX had the proprietary information that would allow a compliance package to pass the DOT certification.

To make a long story short, the only legal way to own a Skyline is to buy an old MOTOREX car, which is very expensive.

The much touted "Kit Car" method is illegal, and could result in eventual seizure or forfeiture of your car and possible criminal penalties or fines. The tidbit below is from the "Kitcar" F.A.Q. on the EPA page.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/kitcar.htm

4. The production, sale and importation of vehicle parts (engines, transmissions, chassis, vehicle bodies, etc.) are not regulated by EPA because parts are not considered motor vehicles under the Clean Air Act. However if the parts constitute a disassembled vehicle or an approximate disassembled vehicle, the combination is considered a motor vehicle under the Clean Air Act. Any attempt to use this policy to circumvent the Clean Air Act or the Imports regulations will be considered a violation of the Clean Air Act and will be strictly enforced. An example of such circumvention is:
A kit car maker who also provides the engine and transmission before or after production/importation of the body/chassis.

5. "Motor vehicles" must comply with the Clean Air Act and may not be disassembled nor purchased in a disassembled form for the purposes of evading the Clean Air Act or the Imports regulations. In these situations the kit car body/chassis combination must be certified by the manufacturer, must be in a configuration which was previously certified by EPA subject to the guidelines discussed at "2" above or, in the case of an importation, an EPA form 3520-1 must be filed at the port of entry and the vehicle imported by an eligible ICI who must ensure that the kit car body/chassis complies with all applicable emission requirements. At the present time, there are no ICIs eligible to import kit cars.
Sorry bonzelite just trying to keep the new guys outta trouble.

TRUST NOBODY IN THE CAR BUSINESS!

-AL

Last edited by HellBent; 01-05-2007 at 09:37 PM. Reason: added content
Old 01-05-2007, 10:03 PM
GTR Senior Member

i understand, HellBent. your advice is sound.

unless you have been in tuner circles for a while and have established long-term business relationships with some of these people, trust is paramount and not cultivated overnight. as well, the only way to successfully create a GTR project here is to go through the back door. i'm mean the way back door.

one must face that the GTR you do eventually acquire will be entirely dismantled. and the road to getting it resurrected is NOT a clear straight line path. i can tell you this from experience. in fact just today i met with some new people whom i met through prior relationships with other people to further the GTR project. it's not as easy as ok let's get some parts and just put it back together. it is a journey and a committment.

it is amazing how hard it can be to locate certain parts once a car is stripped of it's status as a car. and it's not just the parts, but the means to get the proper assembly. you cannot just get a heap of parts and throw them on the car. what is needed and vital to the success of the buildup are the experts who understand these cars from top to bottom from a mechanical perspective, something i do not possess nearly enough of. nowhere near it. when talking with these people personally i realize i don't know jack ****.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:07 PM
GTR Senior Member

and i will corroborate and maintain that (for now at least) just forget about legalizing an R-series Skyline. forget it. drive something else. trailer the GTR somewhere to a track day. keep it simple like that.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:41 PM

I talked to my DOT in wisconsin here and the lady told me that I can have a R32 gtr to have and to hold in my possession i just cant drive it on the streets I would have to trailer it everywhere, like track days, in one portion of the list of legal cars that can be imported from canada I think the skyline R32 can be bought in here read this let me know what you guys think
now if im correct 1994 and under can be brought over they aer complyant to epa standards right, in one portion it says all automobiles from 1995-1988 are legal .....hrmmm? Can this be, I can get a R32 or am I missing a certain ban like some one mentioned earlier. If i did lead me to the site of the ban so i dont go and drive 26 hours to canada and buy a skyline R32 gtr and only drive it on track days which would still suffice but it would be better to daily drive it lol

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/canadian/canlis95.htm
Old 02-20-2007, 12:03 AM
GTR Senior Member

the R33 is able to be brought over because it is fully OBD II compliant, whereas the R32 is not. R32 must be rolling shell.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:20 PM

Actually, there is another US company that can import the R33. They are located in Baltimore.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...es/page10.html

This is a bit of info from the nhtsa iding the other company as J.K. Technologies, LLC of Baltimore, Maryland

It also explains the current reason why only the R33 is allowed into the US.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:53 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by ghostboy
Actually, there is another US company that can import the R33. They are located in Baltimore.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...es/page10.html

This is a bit of info from the nhtsa iding the other company as J.K. Technologies, LLC of Baltimore, Maryland

It also explains the current reason why only the R33 is allowed into the US.
Actually, J.K. was the company hired by Motorex to put their Skyline petition together. Not sure who owns the rights to the confidential material now. Maybe Hiro of Motorex, maybe J.K. The issue at hand is no one has legalized a Skyline since Motorex. Not sure if J.K. can or is even interested.

The often overlooked issue is the EPA side of importation. You still need to go through an ICI and get the car emissions certified. This involves the car passing federal emissions tests at a certified lab, which includes: emissions testing, gas mileage testing, etc...(for each car six years old or older). Not many labs are interested in single car conformity testing. The cheapest quote I got was from a lab in CA, and they quoted me over $7000 for just the tests. This does not include parts or labor to help make the engine compliant.

-AL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: american gt-r r32