Other Cars Talk about other cars besides the GTR in here.

Viper SRT-10 comfort for cruising?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:45 AM
GTR Member

Viper SRT-10 comfort for cruising?

For those fortunate enough to own a 4th gen. Viper or those who have ridden in one for any length of time (at least one hour continuously), how uncomfortable is it for longer trips? I know that they got rid of the exhaust crossover beneath the seats, so the cabin does not get as hot as it used to. How uncomfortable are the seats/seating position? How cramped does it get for your legs/body? I've heard that there is no point in having the radio on due to the exhaust note. But how much road noise do you get in the coupe version? How terrible is the ride (stiff)? I am adding this to my list of possible cars to purchase next year. I am seriously considering the ACR version which would have an even stiffer ride. I used to cruise around town in my Supra (before I sold it, sniff, sniff ) for hours at a time. Would I regret doing this in a Viper?
Any input would be appreciated. Please give constructive criticism, not "Vipers are crap" type comments. I know that they are not "crap" at the track. They may have bad construction quality, though. And that is the type of info I would like to have. And if anyone knows of a good/informative Viper forum, please let me know. I've been kind of hunting around the web for one.
Thanks
James
Old 07-30-2008, 11:23 AM

I have actually made a couple trips from dallas to houston and back in a viper, its actually quite comfortable. the ride is a little stiff, but on the hwy you never really notice it, there is actually quite a bit of leg room. the seats allowed me to spread out, plenty of arm and elbo room. on the hwy in 6th the exhaust had a nice tone, you could still hear the radio just fine. the car is probably one of the nicer 2 seater cars to travel long distances in, and the MPG is not bad if your just in 6th.
performance wise, the car did have issues, and spend plenty of time in the shop. on the track I was expecting more from it.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:14 PM
GTR Member

Thanks for the reply. Its good to hear about the comfort not being too bad. I am surprised to hear that the performance was lacking. I know that there are no driver aides except for ABS. I hear that it is a car that you need to slowly learn to master, and when you do, it's a great track car. Did you drive the generation 4 (2008) or an earlier model?
Thanks again,
James
Old 07-30-2008, 02:01 PM

mine was a 2005, I have really only ever concidered 2 generations of vipers, because every year they do some kind of update, the car has only ever had 1 major change.

on the track though, the car did not feel like a drivers car, it seemed like it was missing a good balance between cornering, braking, and acceleration. to me the car could do all 3 of those very well, just not at the same time. going into a corner, braking, downshifting, trail braking, and you get a lot of under steer. now all this can be fixed with toe and camber adjustments, though you would significantly alter the nice ride you get on the street.