Off-Topic Anything goes in here.

Us F1

Old 06-23-2005, 11:26 PM
spt
GTR Senior Member

Us F1

So did anyone catch the F1 indy race last weekend? I was shocked to see only 6 cars on track!
Old 06-24-2005, 10:04 PM

omg seriously.... it's cos of the tyres ....a bunch of cars pulled out cos the tyre can't rember couldn't garentee the safty at one certain corner..... funny ey ........"we can cover you from here to here but h your on your own "......
Old 06-25-2005, 05:59 AM
PSM

Did anyone see Michelin's stock prices drop this week?
Old 06-25-2005, 11:27 AM
MBM

What race?

That could have been the race F1 needed to push them into the largest consumer market. Instead they blow it in style. I just hope we don't lose Canada in future seasons.

Mark
Old 06-25-2005, 12:43 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by MBM
What race?

That could have been the race F1 needed to push them into the largest consumer market. Instead they blow it in style. I just hope we don't lose Canada in future seasons.

Mark
yes. this shows yet again how out of touch american audiences are to F1.

and i will take this opportunity to vent a little:

america, despite its greatness, is sadly and perpetually insulated from much international culture: the american corporate culture will, at the drop of a hat, go international when outsourcing jobs to india or indonesia, but remains in love with domestic sporting events, like NASCAR and the NFL. and it is the ticket buyers, too, who keep it this way.

oh well, pass the budweiser.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:57 PM
spt
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by bonzelite

LOL.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:37 AM
spt
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by bonzelite
yes. this shows yet again how out of touch american audiences are to F1.

and i will take this opportunity to vent a little:

america, despite its greatness, is sadly and perpetually insulated from much international culture: the american corporate culture will, at the drop of a hat, go international when outsourcing jobs to india or indonesia, but remains in love with domestic sporting events, like NASCAR and the NFL. and it is the ticket buyers, too, who keep it this way.

I was reading in a car magazine (I read so many so I don't exactly remember which one it was in) that after conducting a survey asking Americans:

"If you could only choose one race to see at Indy, which would it be?".

The highest chosen was F1 over NASCAR and others, which tells you that F1 was being embraced by the American public. I don't think Americans were the ones out of touch with F1. I think FIA and all parties involved were out of touch with the American Fans.

It was a shame that the FIA, Michelin, etc. could not come up with a solution that could be fair for everyone. If the same thing happened in a race in Europe, the reactions by the fans probably would of been the same if not worse. No one wants to pay for a ticket and travel a great distance to watch a race that wasn't really a race to begin with.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:55 AM
GTR Senior Member

that is interesting. then it must be more about the corporate culture that puts events on, and less about the budweiser fans. it must have something to do with "the old boys club" mentality of the powers that be, the powers that are complacent with the profits being guaranteed year after year from massive advertising cash-cows like NASCAR and NFL. as well, it is a red-tape issue, then, and, perhaps, an unwillingness to try to promote anything different. this is a very Hollywood kind of mentality: stick with what makes maximum profit even if it sucks.

there are probably insiders who do want to push things like F1, but ultimately find resistance. like fighting city hall.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:18 AM
MBM

I'd be willing to bet the survey was not a true sample of the US population. The general US citizen doesn't know what F1 is. CBS seemed to feel that way and really watered down the Canada GP commentary, which I couldn't stand... and no celebration or interviews... WTF!

The problem is that there isn't much for Americans to care about without an American driver in the mix. The return of the USGP was a step in the right direction and the Red Bull US driver search is certainly helping to find the right talent. Hopefully, F1 will recover from the recent USGP mishap.

Mark
Old 06-26-2005, 12:16 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by MBM
I'd be willing to bet the survey was not a true sample of the US population. The general US citizen doesn't know what F1 is. CBS seemed to feel that way and really watered down the Canada GP commentary, which I couldn't stand... and no celebration or interviews... WTF!

The problem is that there isn't much for Americans to care about without an American driver in the mix. The return of the USGP was a step in the right direction and the Red Bull US driver search is certainly helping to find the right talent. Hopefully, F1 will recover from the recent USGP mishap.

Mark
welp, pass the budweiser again.