GTR Forums - Nissan Skyline GT-R  Community

GTR Forums - Nissan Skyline GT-R Community (https://www.gtrforums.com/forums/)
-   New Members & FAQ's (https://www.gtrforums.com/forums/new-members-faqs-9/)
-   -   Deposit on 08 GT-R (https://www.gtrforums.com/forums/new-members-faqs-9/deposit-08-gt-r-575/)

08Skygtr 03-04-2007 01:12 AM

Deposit on 08 GT-R

New guy saying Hi.

Just put a deposit on 08 GT-R. Signed agreement at MSRP.

Not much info but Sales manager said he will send me updates as he gets them.

The Devils Z 03-04-2007 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by 08Skygtr (Post 3277)
New guy saying Hi.

Just put a deposit on 08 GT-R. Signed agreement at MSRP.

Not much info but Sales manager said he will send me updates as he gets them.

Nice !

HellBent 03-06-2007 06:16 PM

Good for you!

Good luck with MSRP too. I would imagine that the first GTRs leaving any dealership will be well over MSRP.

Your dealer may gaurantee you MSRP, but that would likely put you in line behind eveyone who is willing to pay a premium over MSRP. Until you have in writing a build or allocation number for a GTR going to your dealership you don't have a thing.

-AL

Vicious7 03-07-2007 01:31 PM

Geez--already, huh ;)

shahulx 03-09-2007 07:04 AM

yea, im in the same boat, but im in no huge rush, im #2 on the list, but I can wait and be #4-5... I want a white or black one

08Skygtr 03-13-2007 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by HellBent (Post 3287)
Good for you!

Good luck with MSRP too. I would imagine that the first GTRs leaving any dealership will be well over MSRP.

Your dealer may gaurantee you MSRP, but that would likely put you in line behind eveyone who is willing to pay a premium over MSRP. Until you have in writing a build or allocation number for a GTR going to your dealership you don't have a thing.

-AL

You may be right. I had the same problem when I was trying to buy a 06 Z06. Got bumped off two different lists( out of my area ) because I wouldn't pay over MSRP. But I didn't have it in writing. I did finally find a local dealer that ordered me an 07 Z06 at MSRP and They did put it in writing!

On the GT-R I'm pretty confident in this dealer they are a very large dealer and they will get an allocation for at least 2 -3 GT-R's in the first year as I was told.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

08Skygtr 03-13-2007 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by shahulx (Post 3294)
yea, im in the same boat, but im in no huge rush, im #2 on the list, but I can wait and be #4-5... I want a white or black one

I don't think they have any info on colors yet but I'm pretty sure of silver and black as we have seen those colors on the test mules. I'm also sure they will offer white.

To bad someone can't do a color image change on a MAC using different colors on the GT-R. Just for the fun of it. They did that on the Evom forum for the new upcoming Evo X and it is intresting how color can make a difference. Some people that didn't like the look of the X in the red that Mitsu was showing liked it after seening it in black white silver etc.

Wish I knew how to do it I would and post it.

good luck getting yours:smilie_th

rjhoskins 03-14-2007 04:10 PM

To bad someone can't do a color image change on a MAC using different colors on the GT-R. Just for the fun of it.
There are p-shops out there, just not on THIS forum. However, with the youth of many of our members, I'm sure a photoshop of different colors and/or wheels could be started on this forum. Personally I'm too old to learn photoshop:)

Ryan

08Skygtr 03-16-2007 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by rjhoskins (Post 3313)
There are p-shops out there, just not on THIS forum. However, with the youth of many of our members, I'm sure a photoshop of different colors and/or wheels could be started on this forum. Personally I'm too old to learn photoshop:)

Ryan

ME TO:smilie_th

Kitsune 10-26-2007 01:27 PM

nice, just a bit of a warning (im a car salesman after all) be prepared for a huge negative rebate. also this vehicle MIGHT have some defects since its a first generation, the best thing to do is wait for the 2nd gen GTR's. but hey nice work on putting a deposit down.

GZire 10-26-2007 02:31 PM

^^^What do you mean by a negative rebate? We talking the old "adjusted market value?"

Kitsune 10-28-2007 05:19 PM

ok you guys know how a regular rebats is like money back right? welll the negative rebate is just the opposite, instead of money back your getting an addition to your final sale price. i just threw i out there as a warning on what to watch out for when checking on the invoince. trust me those suckers are nasty. ive seen one at my dealership that had a 3k negative rebate so thats final sales price + 3K.

CharlesJ 10-30-2007 11:02 AM

Isn't that just a more complex way of saying markup. I would expect that many dealers are going to do a markup which is why it should be agreed upon at the time of deposit if you are paying MSRP or over, and if over, how much. If you agree on MSRP, a negative rebate or markup would not fly and would be breech of contract.

02HREBlue 10-30-2007 02:42 PM

Well said Charles. Thats why everyone should have done their homework a long time ago, not now that the hype is starting.

:D

chimmaera 11-04-2007 08:30 AM

The selling of new GTRs should work just as any other hihg demand car. e.g. When a new Ferrari comes out everyone on the list puchases at MSRP, the dealer are not allowed to mark the price up. You see the cars selling for twice the msrp from people who paid msrp and are reselling or from a dealer who bought it back from a customer is now allowed to sell it back as used for a much higher price.

darstar007 11-19-2007 01:59 PM

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I'm very interested in the GT-R. I've been contacting dealerships in the SF Bay Area with little response. Is it too early to get on a waitlist?????

darstar007 11-19-2007 10:15 PM

Dealer in San Jose,CA quoted me $60K over MSRP. This makes sense. You WONT find this car for under $100K anytime soon.

CharlesJ 11-20-2007 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by darstar007 (Post 3906)
Dealer in San Jose,CA quoted me $60K over MSRP. This makes sense. You WONT find this car for under $100K anytime soon.

oh you have to post that in the crazy markups thread....thats just silly

darstar007 11-20-2007 04:22 PM

Seriously. Here is the quote itself:

"Dear #####,
YES YOU CAN PUT A DEPOSIT I JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW WERE SELLING THE CAR 60K ABOVE MSRP"

It makes sense anyways. Why sell a car so far below it's worth. It just doesn't happen in the free market. There are enough rich people to grab 1500 cars a year at ridiculous prices. I wish it were a joke, but it isn't.

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 3914)
oh you have to post that in the crazy markups thread....thats just silly

EmilGH 11-20-2007 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by darstar007 (Post 3918)
I JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW WERE SELLING THE CAR 60K ABOVE MSRP"

Memo to the dealer in San Jose: You're ASKING for 60k over MSRP. :D

darstar007 11-20-2007 09:26 PM

Too many Google millionaires around here. I think they'll sell near that price. For a year at least,

EmilGH 11-20-2007 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by darstar007 (Post 3925)
Too many Google millionaires around here.

The more you have, the less you want to spend. No one wants to be taken advantage of. Everyone wants a deal. I doubt that there are that many people willing to pay an almost 100% mark-up on a Nissan. (regardless of how amazing it is!)

Besides, the Google millionaires don't want to end up like the AOL millionaires! :eek:

darstar007 11-20-2007 10:07 PM

And the less you have the more you want :D

Seriously though, the car is comparable in specs to a $100K + vehicle and it will be fairly rare so I think a hefty markup is realistic to expect. What would be the argument otherwise?

EmilGH 11-21-2007 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by darstar007 (Post 3927)
And the less you have the more you want :D

Fair enough. ;)

Originally Posted by darstar007 (Post 3927)
Seriously though, the car is comparable in specs to a $100K + vehicle and it will be fairly rare so I think a hefty markup is realistic to expect. What would be the argument otherwise?

Any car you put a plate on is a depreciating asset. It might be a good buy or a good value, but if it costs a dollar today, it'll be worth less than a dollar tomorrow. (And there's VERY VERY VERY few exceptions to that rule -- After I wrap up my Scuderia deal, I'll share some stories of the insanity going on around in that space...)

Yes, the GTR is a "bargain" at $70-ish thousand. It may even be a "bargain" at $100-ish thousand. But the fact remains that anything you pay OVER the MSRP is just money that you will lose on your purchase.

Will people be paying over in the early days to get one now, be the first, get it before the other guy, etc.? Yes. Absolutely. Will some brain-donor pay 2x-MSRP to get one? Might have 1 or 2 guys at that price. Will the hype machine be in full gear telling the world that the GTR is going for ridiculous money over list? Yep. Will some reporter from the 6:00pm news be talking about how great it is to be a Nissan dealer come mid-June because the cars are so amazing and the demand is so high? You better believe it

Just don't "drink the kool-aid"...

Every single car I've got a dealer somewhere has tried to get me to pay over list. Every single one. But believe me, it hasn't happened yet. When I bought my RS4 it was the worst!

I got back from the test drive. New dealer. Never done business with them before:

Dealer: I've got 2 other guys looking to pick this car up today. I need you to work with me on the price.

Me: Really? 2 other buyers?

Dealer: We're charging a $5,000 market adjustment on this car. We've only got about 6 of them to sell and have deposits from more than 20 customers.

Me: Wow, that's great. You should do one of those other deals.

Dealer: Pardon?

Me: Yeah, seriously. If you have someone willing to go out of pocket so you can make an extra nickel, you should call one of them. I'm not that guy.

Dealer: What?

Me: Yeah, it's an amazing car, but I'm not the type to go over a list price for a car. Thanks for the drive and if you get another that's available let me know.

{This went on and on and on for about 3 days by phone and email... Finally:

Dealer: Yeah, well, umm... if you want that car we've still got it and I talked to my manager and we'd be happy to sell it to you for list.

Me: Now I want a discount.

I'm not saying this'll happen with the GTR on the first day of sales, but it's all hype and it's all negotiating tactics to extract as much money from the customer as possible. Everything the dealers do is all about getting as much cash from the customer as possible.

Just stand your ground, pay what you want to pay, and don't flinch. Use everything you know about negotiating. It'll make your purchase all the more enjoyable when you come out on top. The only question is WHEN you'll come out on top. :D

darstar007 11-21-2007 10:11 AM

You're advice is quite sage.

My personal opinion is that the GT-R priced at $69K is a publicity stunt by Nissan designed to inflate the price of one of their vehicles to Porsche-like numbers so they can get into that high-end market. They have drastically undervalued it to create a buzz and make it seem attainable while it is anything but for ordinary working guys like myself.

In this case patience is the only recourse. You are correct, some people will want to be the first on the block to have it and will have the disposable income to do so. Eventually sanity will prevail.......I hope. :smilie_th

EmilGH 11-21-2007 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by darstar007 (Post 3933)
My personal opinion is that the GT-R priced at $69K is a publicity stunt by Nissan designed to inflate the price of one of their vehicles to Porsche-like numbers so they can get into that high-end market.

That's not a bad theory, actually. Drive Nissan up market a bit, force Infiniti up there, too.

Carlos is a genius and this could be an interesting strategy... but I doubt they have the additional products to put out at a high price unless Nissan starts selling re-badged Renaults!

eenzo295 11-26-2007 08:02 AM

Biggest Dealer

What I'd like to know is, who is the biggest Nissan Dealer in the Los Angeles area ?

EmilGH 11-26-2007 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by eenzo295 (Post 3963)
What I'd like to know is, who is the biggest Nissan Dealer in the Los Angeles area ?

I'd be looking for dealers OUTSIDE the LA area. Knowing what people pay for cars in this town, there won't be any deals to be had here!

eenzo295 11-26-2007 09:01 AM

yes that makes sense. But I am still not sure how to locate the biggest volume dealers.

darstar007 11-26-2007 10:08 AM

The GT-R will only be available at "highly select dealers". By that definition alone, you won't be able to find the car outside of major metro areas, i.e. Nissan of South Dakota!!!

EmilGH 11-26-2007 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by darstar007 (Post 3966)
The GT-R will only be available at "highly select dealers". By that definition alone, you won't be able to find the car outside of major metro areas, i.e. Nissan of South Dakota!!!

That's not entirely correct. Yes, not all dealers will carry the GTR or be offered the car... but you'll also see dealers refuse to carry the car based on the commitment in training and tools the dealer is required to make to service the car. (All selling dealers are required to be able to service them).

Yes, you won't find small dealers carrying the GTR. However, you also won't find deals in Los Angeles. When you cannot keep Bentley Continental GTs with a 15k body kit and wheel "upgrade" you're playing in a market with more money than common sense.

If I can get a list of all the Nissan dealers, I'll get someone to call each one and find out what they're doing with the GTR. There are 664 in the US...

darstar007 11-26-2007 12:06 PM

I agree. No deals in big cities, but no GT-R in small markets. Screwed either way.